mooching reel review?

Or how many seals did you fight looks like that reel had a ton of use.....think you got your 80 bucks of value on that reel they dont last forever.......
Ill stick to mono and 100 yds of backing never had issues ....except with the 4000s BUT they had a few years of "bad" reels when I guided we were destroying a few reels a weak then we switched to islander knock offs never had a problem.

Or how many seals did you fight looks like that reel had a ton of use.....think you got your 80 bucks of value on that reel they dont last forever.......
Ill stick to mono and 100 yds of backing never had issues ....except with the 4000s BUT they had a few years of "bad" reels when I guided we were destroying a few reels a weak then we switched to islander knock offs never had a problem.

My Dad has blown up 2 gt4000 and I have blown up one. We still love the value you get out of them!

-KK

High Five, aluminum has a fatigue limit after a number of cycles it will distort or even crack. This is why there is a stringent replacement schedule for aluminum parts in the aviation industry. You are right the spool wont crush it usually splits or distorts, I'll get some pics of my islanders if you want to see the result. This reel was designed to hold 200 yds of backing and a 90' fly line, mono is beyond that design criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup fought lots of Seals but in Vancouver thats about as common as rain! Wish I could blame the seals on my cracked spools but that wouldn't be accurate.
I would disagree that one should expect an $80 reel (spool) to fail to that level, older or not, especially when that spool in the photo was actually the second spool on that reel to do so ! True that wear and tear of course will give a reel an expected life span but as you mentioned the 4000's spool breaKage issue was a known flaw and not an expected lifespan that customers were to accept. Shimano admitted to the spool issues and according to them the problem was due to the larger line capacity load of those 4000's and the spools lack of stength to handle it ( as compared to the 2000 GT's with less line load that didn't seem to have the same probelm)

I Love my GT2000 , that sucker has stood up to some serious abuse. Only problem i ever had was the clunking noise which i was able to fix by puttin some locktite on the two screws that hold the backing plate to the reel seat.

Thought this morning that the new Allen would be great. 5 inches, layered completely sealed drag then realized it was left hand retrieve. So I emailed them. Right hand retrieve being machined. Being they are completely sealed they can't be reversed. Ok I'll wait and see... Then it was pointed out to me there was something interesting with the handles.... Look for your self....

So I emailed them again and got a reply......

Owen,

The handle is intentionally located closer to the axis in order to increase the speed of line pick-up. If you are worried that you will not be able to put enough torque on fish due to the handle location, we have not seen such an issue in the testing we have done across the Americas. One of the first fish tested on the reel was an 80lb sailfish, which was quickly landed and released. I have personally fought salmon on the reel and had no issues with such a worry. Since, it has been tested on a wide variety of salt and freshwater fish. However, if it is a personal preference that is pushing you away, we completely understand. We just want to share that the reel has dealt with each species of salmon so far, with the exception of Atlantics, and has exceeded expectations.

Let us know if there is any other way we can help you out,

A.J.
Customer Service

Yeah, the handles on the xla turned me off, same deal assured that tourque would not be an issue...but i think thats something i would want to try in the real world first, before commiting...

the regular kraken 5 arbor is 4.45" between the MR2 and MR3, about the exact size of my diawa M1, which is perfect for me

Why can't a real reel be built?

Can't someone build a reel with a great drag, large arbor, free spool and comfortable handles.

Why can't someone get it right?

that reel is retarded, wider handles allow more line to be picked up with less rotations of the wrist. dumb. Its too bad islander can't fix their reels. The handles suck and you need to change the washers to get a drag system that works, BS for a reel that costs that much.

Somebody is going to get it right soon, there's a demand for sure.

Maybe by the time Islander releases their MR8.... :) LOL

Do companies not listen to what the consumers want anymore? Mooching reels are pretty basic. You think someone could get it right.

Why can't a real reel be built?

Can't someone build a reel with a great drag, large arbor, free spool and comfortable handles.

Why can't someone get it right?

Don't forget, the Allen reels are a "fly " reel
we are using them as a mooching reel, but they weren't designed as such.
thus no free spool , extra handle etc.
I will point out The drag is awesome, you can have it set so that a fish can easily pull line
but it doesn't creep in the rod holder.

I am not saying Allen they are a fly reel company. But hey maybe they could be the ones to do it. My comment says "can't someone build" Why can't someone build a proper mooching reel? You ever notice there is always a common problem with every reel that released that we all can see. Is it really that hard to look at what failures are out there and build the ultimate reel.

Look at the MR3, some of it is better then the MR2 depends on who you talk to. Had they finally fixed a on going drag problem, put some great reel knobs on it, and had a free spool switch it would be a great reel. But instead they released another not so prefect reel. As I said maybe by the time they get to the MR8 they might build something that doesn't just look good.

Look at the MR3, some of it is better then the MR2 depends on who you talk to. Had they finally fixed a on going drag problem, put some great reel knobs on it, and had a free spool switch it would be a great reel

and at $600 +tax it's a pricey piece of equipment as well.

Hahahaha voted top three on fishing forums?..... Bet most of us have never heard of them. $600 ya bet they cost less then $100 to have built for them. Huge mark up.

Build them to look like Islanders knock offs and ask for more money. Hahahaha

Back