Monster Brown Irish Lord Pic-from Alaska

Dogbreath

This thing must be five times bigger than any BIR I've ever seen, actually looks worth filleting.

Caught out of this lodge http://www.tanaku.com/

6032.jpg

kidphotors6.jpg

Ummm-- what they have there is a cabezone. Biggest recorded brown irish lord that I can find is 29cm. Cabezones grow up to 25lbs and 78cm.

As a diver, I can say that both red ILs and Brown ILs are really neat curious fish. They will follow a diver crawling along the bottom to see what might be stirred up.

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Right now half the population in Richmond is drooling at that picture. Some of you will know what I am talking about....

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Ummm-- what they have there is a cabezone. Biggest recorded brown irish lord that I can find is 29cm. Cabezones grow up to 25lbs and 78cm.
It's no Cabezon-do a google images search for pics of Brown Irish Lord and then go to http://www.fishbase.org and have a close read of the description given for Hemilepidotus spinosus, it's an exact</u> fit just monster sized.

kidphotors6.jpg

DogBreath-- I did. Look at the max size listed http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=4095

and then look at the large size of the pectoral fins-- a classic feature of cabezones. Anyway-- neither of us can be absolutely positive as we need fin ray and spine counts etc -- but its close enough for me .

Cheers
CL
( and yes-- I would seriously think about eating it . Most fish of this genera feed on shrimp and small crustaceans and are really tasty!!!!)

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

That is a Cabezon I caught one almost that big this year near my cabin outside owen bay. A local guy idetified it for me and I researched it when I got home and it looked exactly the same. It is basically a big bullhead. Although they have more bones than a ling cod they are still good to eat. They fight very hard and are fun to catch.They have sandpaper teeth and are very slimmey.

I'm ready to concede that is has some characteristics of a Cabezon but they are many things-like the number of rays in the dorsal/anal and caudal fins that are more like Brown Irish Lord.

It's difficult to say exactly because of the angle the fish is being held at.

I've caught many Cabezon in my life and a number of BILs as well.

kidphotors6.jpg

Yep... I'd throw it back too. I caught something similar off Chaster pt. once. Not quite as big, but impressive. I let him go too.

Cabezons are great to eat. Their firm flesh is ideal for fish soup. I say "fish soup"because I don't know how to spell "boulibase"

john

Here is one I caught this summer off Winter Harbour. Great eating little bugger. Made great fish and chips that night.
WestCoastFishingJune302008004.jpg

We ate to smaller of the two ugly mugs in the picture:D

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Hey "Putt Putt" nice picture..... looking forward to a buddy boat trip with you and CL all that much more next year! SS

ps I am assuming that the Missus caught that one as well. ;)

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I see this a very old posting - but just had to comment! The photo in the original post is absolutely not a brown Irish lord, nor is it a cabezon. It is a bigmouth sculpin, Hemitripterus bolini. It is actually not in the same family as Irish lords or cabezons (typical sculpins, family Cottidae). Bigmouth sculpins are in the Family Hemitripteridae, sometimes referred to a sea ravens or sailfin sculpins. One of the primary differences is that bigmouth sculpins lack regular scales and instead are covered in tiny pointed scales called prickles. Another characteristic of bigmouths not seen in typical sculpins is that the tips of the dorsal fin rays have thin, soft, finger-like extensions. Bigmouth sculpins are recorded to 73 cm in length and 8.8 kg.

I see this a very old posting - but just had to comment! The photo in the original post is absolutely not a brown Irish lord, nor is it a cabezon. It is a bigmouth sculpin, Hemitripterus bolini. It is actually not in the same family as Irish lords or cabezons (typical sculpins, family Cottidae). Bigmouth sculpins are in the Family Hemitripteridae, sometimes referred to a sea ravens or sailfin sculpins. One of the primary differences is that bigmouth sculpins lack regular scales and instead are covered in tiny pointed scales called prickles. Another characteristic of bigmouths not seen in typical sculpins is that the tips of the dorsal fin rays have thin, soft, finger-like extensions. Bigmouth sculpins are recorded to 73 cm in length and 8.8 kg.
Roger that Aaron -Thanks for the intel.

I have no clue why this thread needed to be brought back to life. Who are these people that search the dark depths of Sportfishingbc and bring old threads back to life?

Back