Mixed messages on ethanol in marina fuel ?

amashinga

Do marinas get still get to sell ethanol free fuel ?. I am not using this for a boat, its for small engines with carburetor fuel systems.

Thanks

Ask them. Chevron, I believe, still has premium++ with no ethanol.

I helped a friend sell his boat this summer.
I started the 250 hp Yamaha and it ran for a few minutes but then it ran ruff. Then I started the 9.9 Yamaha and it ran for 3 minutes and then stopped. I asked about his the fuel in his tank and he said he put fuel in the tank 2.5+ years ago and no stabilizer. I got an new 5 gallon tank of gas and transferred the fuel lines to the new fuel tank. The fuel injected 250 started and ran. The 9.9 would not start, so I pulled the fuel line off and it was squirting fuel. I then pulled the fuel pump off and took it apart and the diaphragm looked like someone filled it with Vaseline. Probably ethanol jelly.
The owner had put reg gas in the tank 2.5+ year ago and the fuel was bad and the carb jets were screwed.

the boat had over 50 gallons in it that had to be drained.

use stabilizer or no ethanol fuel.

Marinas are currently exempt from the clean fuel regs. I have bought an ethanol testing bottle to confirm the absence of ethanol for my boat, and my airplane that cannot have any ethanol contaminated fuel (avgas is of course ethanol free, but marked non ethanol is acceptable as well).

I talked to my local marinas and they have ZERO intention of ever getting ethanol in their fuel. If the government forces it on them they will just stop selling fuel for liability reasons of ethanol in the marine environment. Why does everything the government touches turn to ****.

Do marinas get still get to sell ethanol free fuel ?. I am not using this for a boat, its for small engines with carburetor fuel systems.

Thanks
If you can afford it, Aspen synthetic fuels are great for small engines. We run it in all the small engines at the cabin, and feel that the reduced maintenance requirements more than offset the added cost. Everything runs great every time.

If you can afford it, Aspen synthetic fuels are great for small engines. We run it in all the small engines at the cabin, and feel that the reduced maintenance requirements more than offset the added cost. Everything runs great every time.

Another vote for Aspen. I've been using it in my small gas engines for construction equipment like cutoff saws, compactors, chainsaws, etc. We work all winter at different kinds of jobs, there's not always an obvious time to winterize everything, so stuff was being put away with unstabilized gas and sometimes not used again for a year or more.

For a while we were using marked gas but after an incident where someone mistook the dye for mixed gas and burned out a chainsaw, we went to clear. Aspen premix is even better.

Last edited:
Back