Minister Jordan's failure to make a decision is killing BC Coas!t

cohochinook

Maybe the 'no decision' IS the decision...?
The only thing a politician cares about is their paycheck and pension. She's testing the wind to determine which decision allows her to keep the 2 mentioned items.

The only thing a politician cares about is their paycheck and pension. She's testing the wind to determine which decision allows her to keep the 2 mentioned items.
You forgot the other care which is to get re-elected in four years if they don't have enough tenure for their pension. Lol

Another week and no announcement. Obviously the BC coast is not a priority for this Federal Liberal Government!

This is why it's taking so long. That is my bet. If she says yes MCC will likely sue. It does it every year. The question is will the liberal government push back this time. Have to wait and see. In meantime we are in back of bus.

Last edited:
Why would they rush, this is what they want , a total lockdown. Mission accomplished. Drag it out as long as possible. Good politics....

I've been told the decision will be announced next week.

oh boy....I pray we get good news.. based on the events of the past 2 years I dont know if I can be too hopeful.... it's too painful to get bad news year after year...surely this damn liberal government can for once make a good decision????

Last edited:
I just got an update that the decision will not be coming this week and should expect something next week. It's with the Chief of staff of Minister Jordan now.
Absolutely disgraceful this govt can’t get their **** together to put out a set of restrictions for April 1st, let alone may 1st. Just keep kicking the can down the road and passing the buck to someone else because god forbid they do the job WE are paying them to do!

Finally got a reply from a letter I wrote Feb 25, and it was from Neil Davis, DFO, not from Jordan. Just the same ol’ same ol’

Dear Mr. Aines:

Thank you for your correspondence of February 25, 2021, addressed to the Honourable Bernadette Jordan, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, regarding Chinook salmon management measures. I have been asked to respond on behalf of the Minister.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) understands the importance of the fishery to recreational anglers. The Department is committed to science-based decision making and manages the fishery resource with a cautious approach to support the sustainability of Canada’s fisheries into the future. DFO does this in a manner that seeks to minimize economic impacts.

As you may be aware, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada has assessed 16 of the 17 wild populations of Fraser River Chinook and found all but one to be at‑risk; 10 of these populations have been classified as Endangered. These declines must be addressed, as do the changes to marine and freshwater ecosystems that directly affect salmon and our coastal communities.

DFO’s 2020 fisheries management measures to protect Fraser River Chinook were designed to support at-risk Fraser River Chinook populations and were developed following consultation with Indigenous communities, recreational and commercial fishing organizations, and environmental organizations. For more information on measures for at-risk Fraser River Chinook, I encourage you to visit the frequently asked questions section of DFO’s Information about Fraser River Chinook fisheries management measures webpage.

The Department recognizes the keen interest of many in British Columbia’s recreational fishing community in seeking an expansion to hatchery-origin marked Chinook (also known as mark‑selective fisheries, or MSF). Please note that DFO is currently reviewing information about the potential expansion of MSF. While MSF opportunities could offer potential benefits for fisheries, they must be considered as part of a longer-term, integrated approach for Pacific salmon management. They must also be balanced with a full understanding of the issues and resource requirements needed to mitigate the short- and long-term concerns. I encourage you to visit the hatchery marking section of our frequently asked questions about Chinook webpage to learn more.

Given the extent of the decline for Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern, fishery restrictions will continue to be required to protect these stocks in 2021 and in future years. Decisions will be informed by scientific advice and stock assessment data, will be consistent with salmon allocation priorities and will consider feedback from the Department’s established advisory and consultation process as previously outlined. Management measures will be available on DFO’s website and through the Fishery Notice system.

DFO receives formal advice on recreational fisheries for Pacific salmon from recreational representatives via local Sport Fishing Advisory Boards. If you wish to participate in this process, or for more information on the process, please visit the Department’s Sport Fishing Advisory Board website.

Though fisheries management measures are an important tool, they will not be sufficient on their own to restore these important stocks. DFO understands this, and is working on projects to support habitat protection and restoration, climate adaptation, improved stock assessment, and enhanced science collaboration. More information is available in the frequently asked questions section of the Department’s information about Fraser River Chinook fisheries management measureswebpage.

In addition, the Government of Canada has announced that it would dedicate $647.1 million over five years to preserve wild Pacific salmon. This includes investments in research, new hatchery facilities, and habitat restoration. To learn more about these initiatives, I encourage you to consult Canada’s 2021 budget.

Thank you for writing.

Sincerely,

Neil Davis

A/Regional Director, Fisheries Management

Fisheries and Oceans Canada | Government of Canada
Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca | Tel: (604) 666-0115

I just got an update that the decision will not be coming this week and should expect something next week. It's with the Chief of staff of Minister Jordan now.

Well, isn't that special. Nothing last week,nothing this week, but "We might have something for you next week, but then again we might not". "If all we get is a little whining and sniveling in the background we might not do anything... and what are you going to do about it"? They are calling our bluff. They had the whole Winter to make their decisions but have decided to play the stall game. Pathetic.

Well, isn't that special. Nothing last week,nothing this week, but "We might have something for you next week, but then again we might not". "If all we get is a little whining and sniveling in the background we might not do anything... and what are you going to do about it"? They are calling our bluff. They had the whole Winter to make their decisions but have decided to play the stall game. Pathetic.
I agree it's brutal!

Actually, reading that letter I have a bad feeling that the closures are going to be long-term. It takes 4 years after a hatchery puts into effect a serious MSF policy for those fish to return.
I see a policy of short window openings and slot measurements for the forseeable future.

Actually, reading that letter I have a bad feeling that the closures are going to be long-term. It takes 4 years after a hatchery puts into effect a serious MSF policy for those fish to return.
I see a policy of short window openings and slot measurements for the forseeable future.

The reality is the decision has been made long time ago... all this delay with interim regulations, and the delay with official regulation is a delay tactic... In my years of personal and business experience, when someone takes their sweet butt time in giving you an answer on something, in my personal experience, 99% of the time it's bad news.... Pisses me off.. if they are not going to make the right decision, have the damn decency to let me know April 1st.. giving thousands of anglers false hope for months and months, year after year, is cruel and should be a criminal offense.

Back