Mike's Reel Repair

savy

Beware people :
On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 9:01 AM SERGE <savy@shaw.ca> wrote:
Linda I put in 3 phone call yesterday to you but no call back

Ok about the red reel on that one there was nothing wrong when I send it to you guys early last fall after my fishing season that one just went for maintenance to be done on it only other yes did need repairs.
well I finally got it back late spring this year (charge $75.00 + shipping both way) I plug the reel in and it would not stop so I send it right back to you guy again paid freight and another $75.00 for repair and got Paul my friend to pick it up since I was already guide up north so Paul brought me the reel up there.
I plug it in and it did not work at all so after my season I when and drop it off to you since I Paid $150.00 + shipping 4 time and the reel never work for me don't Mike test reel after he is finish his work ???
I feel I had a perfectly good working reel before just planning ahead and get them all service since I had them for a few year and want to make sure I had no issue with them in the future.
between Paul and I we send 6 reels tp you guys for maintenance and now only have 3 working ???

About the black reel Mike did not read my note since I wrote down that the reel start smoking at the switch so did not want to use it again until he check it so I don't burn it out there was nothing about the star drag writing down and there was nothing wrong with the drag since I use it manually without issue to finish the season about the star drag I have a machinist here that fix them by replacing the brass bushing with stainless steel one so there is no more issue with star drag and if that one fail now I will get my guy here to fix it and will have back in a week not 6 month later.

this what I want from you guys to send both my reel back to me you paid the freight I want a writing note from Mike why when a good reel get there for maintenance and come back and will not stop working so send it back right away without using it than does not work at all and now you guys tell me it is no good I did not use this reel for over a year it has been in your shop for ever. And I would like all the money I paid for the red reel that Mike never fix and not it totally no good.

please let me know what your plan are I try to contact you did not want to do this this way but Linda you did not answer your phone or people did not pass you the message.

Yes I am very upset here so much waiting around for my reels.

Serge

their response was :
Hi Serge,
I have shown your message to Mike and I don't know what to say in response.

i send 6 electric reels there and only 1 is still working i would never recommend them to anybody spend a lots of money and waited for a long time (over 6 month) to get them back was planning ahead send them to be servile and some repair last summer so they can be ready for this past season and it was a total nightmare even got lucky to get some at the last minute but they did not last long using them

Beware people :

I have also had a bad experience with Mikes Reel Repair many years ago. That is why I now do my own repairs to all of my reels. There has been times that I have had to deal with them to get parts though. Haven't had a problem there.

Once Mike Sr. passed away it all went to hell and that was a long time ago.

As to the reel issues I'd be Very Careful of letting anyone at all work on an electric reel they seem to be a touchy machine no matter the brand.

I dropped a reel off there a few years back..... got it back in worse condition....repairs/parts I was charged for was bogus and called them on it, they had some lame excuse so I took my reel and left. I do all my own repairs/maintenance now in the winter down time..... too many ripoff artists in the fishing/marine industry

Hmmmm...just ordered some bearings from there and they haven’t showed after a week.

They said they would be shipped Monday...even Canada Post isn’t that slow.

my point is that we spend a lots of money on reel and planning ahead to keep our equipment to the best we can for our fishing season and get service done on winter time so we are ready for the season but i got my reel on the last minute this year and turn out to be a nightmare here. and the black reel they wanted me to leave there again all winter. (HI SERGE, The red reel is the one that was working fine just need service)( can not be repaired- ic module needs replacing and are unavailable in North America. The Black reel needs a new drag star. It has a very large drive shaft and finding one that may fit correctly may take some time. Mike said he can tackle this but will require having the reel here over winter.
Let us know how you would like to proceed) so i took both reel back

So, where else can we take/send our reels for repair on the Island ?
Couple years ago I took two reels to Mike’s for simple repair, I called after a couple months was told that he could not find my reels, had misplaced them- a few weeks later got a call he had “found” the reels and would have them both ready soon. Few weeks after that the reels were ready for pick up, after paying the bill and taking the reels home, discovered that one reel was fixed, the other was not even touched, still not working. Really not even close to acceptable.......I had called around a lot and this was the only place I could find for reel repairs.

So, where else can we take/send our reels for repair on the Island ?
Couple years ago I took two reels to Mike’s for simple repair, I called after a couple months was told that he could not find my reels, had misplaced them- a few weeks later got a call he had “found” the reels and would have them both ready soon. Few weeks after that the reels were ready for pick up, after paying the bill and taking the reels home, discovered that one reel was fixed, the other was not even touched, still not working. Really not even close to acceptable.......I had called around a lot and this was the only place I could find for reel repairs.

Depending on the type of reel I would do the repairs myself. Mooching/Trolling, and most Spinning Reels are not to hard to work on. You can usually find the schematics online for reference and a part breakdown. There is a guy in View Royal here in Victoria that does reel repairs... I'll have to look for his number. I think the folks at Island Outfitter's gave his number to me.

I just restored and rebuilt 4 Peetz Trolling reels. was a fun project polishing all the brass

Guy at Trotac - Dan Peakman does reel tune ups and some repairs on the side. He tuned up the drag on my Avet halibut reel, cleaned and lubed it up and now works great. Reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I've used Kevin in the past as well. Good guy indeed.
I'm not sure but I think Dave Steele over at Highwater does some repairs. never used his services for that though.

I run Shimano Tyrnos reels and had 4 that were ready for the scrap heap I sent them back to the factory for service ( on a gamble) 4 weeks later they came back and worked like new $35 apiece all parts were covered except the handle the rat chewed on New drag washers main gears ect I figure the parts were worth more than $300 I was impressed For everything else I used Country Rod and Reel Shipping cost to both places was the same about $30 Now is the time to send them

I've been using Mike Flynn @ Country Rod and Reel crafting for some years now. I wouldn't take my gear anywhere else on the Island. Not because there's anything wrong with anyone else, Mike Flynn @ Country R&R is some of the best customer service I've ever had. Great pricing on genuine name brand parts with installation. He's certified and experienced by all the top brands used today on the West Coast. His knowledge is only surpassed by his genuinely kind and helpful attitude. He'll tell you straight away what's wrong and what you're looking at; prior to repair.

I've had lengthy conversations on the phone with Mike (Country R&R Crafting) at no charge, at most times of the day. I've never spent a dollar more than he thought fair (very affordable) and I've NEVER spent a dollar I regret on his services. Time and time again, he's come through in a snap, mid season. Completely grateful for his services and hope he's around for time to come!

Thanks Mike (Flynn)
Country Rod and Reel Crafting
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC

I’ve got a couple vintage Penns I should send his way. Will have to give him a call and get them boxed up and shipped off to him.

Back