Might Be Looking For a Change

There’s so much survivorship bias out there that skews people’s expectations. For every 4 hour work week person making bank there are thousands of failed entrepreneurs, over worked and stressed out workaholic professionals etc. Most people I know are pretty intelligent and super hard working and none of them are rich. A great book on this subject is “Fooled by Randomness” By Nicholas Taleb
On a related note, The E-Myth, or The E-Myth Revisited, are eye openers on the myth of entrepreneurialism. The book clearly explains that many self employed people think they are running a business actually have a job. Required reading for anyone wanting to go out on their own.

I really don’t think there’s many small business owners that don’t get their hands dirty and just think they “run” a business 4 hours a week. Most are hustlers, they work more than employees, make countless sacrifices, just for the advantages of owning a small business. They don’t have one job within the company, they wear every hat that is required. It’s definitely not for everyone, most would buckle with that type of weight on their shoulders.
Ask me if that type of lifestyle is better or worse? Now that’s an entire different conversation…

Don’t listen to these guys 😁they don’t want to be going up against you, competing for the same clients, they would get crushed. Most of these guys are old and grumpy😉 and I heard from the grape vine that you have a charming personality.
If I was a guide I would also tell you to stay the f*** away 🤣

Judging by your last post on the Vancouver fishing thread, I can’t believe Raincity’s Marine Adventures isn’t up and running yet
What? I thought his boat never left the dock. Commander heart ache is better than a country music song. "I tried to fix her up, Ron said she would run again but then he ran away...."

Best way to be a guide is to fly into a lodge, the guys who run their own biz blow me away by the work they do and the risk they take.

@Rain City did you see the floating guide lodge for sale on Facebook? My buddy once guided for one..... you wouldn't have to worry about fishing restrictions, being mobile. Not a funny joke but I'm joking.

I heard a great quote the other day (can’t remember where): “all the money in the world can’t buy another minute of time”. I think it’s a good maxim to live by, whatever it is you choose to do. Spend your time doing what you like and with the people you love. I made my career decision based on that principal. I have definitely left money and toys on the table, but I have no regrets. I guess for me the goal is: when my time comes, I’ll feel I did the right thing.

I agree. I’m also hoping one day I can put myself in a situation where I can make that decision and live comfortably. Been dreaming about it. But it’s tough nowadays, just to live in the lower mainland, not to mention if you want to own a detached house. Guys with no mortgage, or a handed down house, cabin in the family, can live comfortably on today’s wages, everyone else is screwed. Look at the prices on the island or the Sunshine Coast, sport fishing or boating has become for the rich, a cabin is half a mil? Not sure how any Joe can realistically afford this. Look at all the people that had to move out of the lower mainland because everything is just too expensive…
If I had a couple boats, a cabin and no mortgage I probably would be living a different lifestyle. But not everyone is blessed like that. Reality is if you want to live on the mainland, you better be getting paid.
Look at the boats some of these guys on this forum have, it’s like they have NHL money, lots of business owners and guys with top professions like surgeons, realtors, lawyers, builders. Lots of these guys followed their journey to get paid first and foremost, and now are benefiting from the rewards of hard work and taking chances. This s*** just doesn’t fall in most people’s laps, they work for it.

What? I thought his boat never left the dock. Commander heart ache is better than a country music song. "I tried to fix her up, Ron said she would run again but then he ran away...."

Best way to be a guide is to fly into a lodge, the guys who run their own biz blow me away by the work they do and the risk they take.

@Rain City did you see the floating guide lodge for sale on Facebook? My buddy once guided for one..... you wouldn't have to worry about fishing restrictions, being mobile. Not a funny joke but I'm joking
Don’t get me started with country songs about Ron, I still can’t listen to Spanish guitar because of him. At least he didn’t take my dog when he left

I agree. I’m also hoping one day I can put myself in a situation where I can make that decision and live comfortably. Been dreaming about it. But it’s tough nowadays, just to live in the lower mainland, not to mention if you want to own a detached house. Guys with no mortgage, or a handed down house, cabin in the family, can live comfortably on today’s wages, everyone else is screwed. Look at the prices on the island or the Sunshine Coast, sport fishing or boating has become for the rich, a cabin is half a mil? Not sure how any Joe can realistically afford this. Look at all the people that had to move out of the lower mainland because everything is just too expensive…
If I had a couple boats, a cabin and no mortgage I probably would be living a different lifestyle. But not everyone is blessed like that. Reality is if you want to live on the mainland, you better be getting paid.
Look at the boats some of these guys on this forum have, it’s like they have NHL money, lots of business owners and guys with top professions like surgeons, realtors, lawyers, builders. Lots of these guys followed their journey to get paid first and foremost, and now are benefiting from the rewards of hard work and taking chances. This s*** just doesn’t fall in most people’s laps, they work for it.
All very true. I'd say I fall into the category of blessed and working hard for what I have. Even then its a damn grind with raising a family and maintaining my sanity with enough fishing days and weekend trips mixed in.

But it bears repeating, keep in mind the wise words my buddy once told me "don't mistake wealth for financial irresponsibility" I'm sure lots of us are in that boat (pun intended)

All very true. I'd say I fall into the category of blessed and working hard for what I have. Even then its a damn grind with raising a family and maintaining my sanity with enough fishing days and weekend trips mixed in.

But it bears repeating, keep in mind the wise words my buddy once told me "don't mistake wealth for financial irresponsibility" I'm sure lots of us are in that boat (pun intended)

This is just another twist on this thread. The OP was asking for advice on career change. Hoe many of the last few posts are a direct response to that? 😅

This is just another twist on this thread. The OP was asking for advice on career change. Hoe many of the last few posts are a direct response to that? 😅
It was a response to sttr’s post. I think the YouTube video makes a lot of valid points. Didn’t mean to offend any sheeple. I wish Rain city prosperity success and happiness in whatever he finds himself doing in the future.

Maybe he was thinking that RC could start a YouTube channel in this kinda style?…
RC would have to be a convicted felon and dealer who did 8 years for jumping and paralyzing a kid like the champ in that video.

If that video isn’t proof you shouldn’t do drugs, I don’t know what is. 😂

Back