Might Be Looking For a Change

I'd say it's very obvious, but not a bad way to go for a professional business account.
Yes the idea is fine but the execution needs some tweaking. More refined prompts, and editing the output to be less essay-like in structure, with a more colloquially worded, looser writing style that matches how humans talk on forums.

If you’ve used GPT a few times you come to recognize its output and writing style. Probably a lot harder to detect if you haven’t
Exactly. I've done it for a final edit on a super formal letter to the city. So now I know how these robots think. I had to keep asking it to dumb it down. Eventually I said "just write it like I would, without mistakes". That worked well.

Exactly. I've done it for a final edit on a super formal letter to the city. So now I know how these robots think. I had to keep asking it to dumb it down. Eventually I said "just write it like I would, without mistakes". That worked well.
Just add F.B.G.M. at some point and make it your own.

“GhatGPT, please write me a letter to the city about [topic] in the style of President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho from the movie Idiocracy”

Yes the idea is fine but the execution needs some tweaking. More refined prompts, and editing the output to be less essay-like in structure, with a more colloquially worded, looser writing style that matches how humans talk on forums.
In a recent course I took on this subject, we were told that rule number one is to know your audience. Are you directing your message to generation X, boomers, seniors, gearheads etc?

In a recent course I took on this subject, we were told that rule number one is to know your audience. Are you directing your message to generation X, boomers, seniors, gearheads etc?
Agreed, chatgpt or not, knowing your audience is the #1 rule for any type of writing. At least that’s what was drilled into my thick skull in the handful of writing classes I took in university.

What’s your background in tech? There are opportunities in B2B SaaS from the research I have done for my own career, but the trick is finding the right niche and again, creating something people want to use.

***certified non chatgpt output*** :)

My background is mostly software development with GIS and fisheries. Had my own consulting company for a few years after university but I got tired of my wife always being mad at me. I was either too busy and had no time for her or not busy enough and was bugging her too much :rolleyes::p So I got into the full time work gig. Spent most of my time supporting developers in whatever GIS application they were building. Helped them with code design, bug workarounds, did some teaching. For the last couple of years I've been primarily reengineering poorly designed python code while searching the universe for a cash fountain of youth ;)

I have worked with some SaaS applications. Neat idea, but idk, I sit on my computer alone all day. It's killing my motivation. I want to get outside. So I was thinking of starting a small landscaping company on the side. There's a bit of a niche market for it I think. As others here have noted for construction, smaller jobs too small for bigger companies to care about. Like a single yard soil delivery for example. Or fixing a gate for someone. Not a lot of money, but would get me moving and engaged with actual humans instead of a screen full of zoomed in nostril hair all day 🫣.

One of my clients that seems to do well, more so than just luck would allow, is busy designing 6-plexes and papering up appropriate properties.
What city? It’ll be interesting, Vancouver developer moved into our hood and is planning to build 30+ expensive townhomes at the end of our street in Saanich. I wonder if the new rules will increase supply significantly and decrease margins.

House a block over that is being flipped just makes me shake my head, should have been torn down and a three plex or at least a nice home with a suite would have been better than a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1.1M.

Any interest in being a developer @Rain City ?

My background is mostly software development with GIS and fisheries. Had my own consulting company for a few years after university but I got tired of my wife always being mad at me. I was either too busy and had no time for her or not busy enough and was bugging her too much :rolleyes::p So I got into the full time work gig. Spent most of my time supporting developers in whatever GIS application they were building. Helped them with code design, bug workarounds, did some teaching. For the last couple of years I've been primarily reengineering poorly designed python code while searching the universe for a cash fountain of youth ;)

I have worked with some SaaS applications. Neat idea, but idk, I sit on my computer alone all day. It's killing my motivation. I want to get outside. So I was thinking of starting a small landscaping company on the side. There's a bit of a niche market for it I think. As others here have noted for construction, smaller jobs too small for bigger companies to care about. Like a single yard soil delivery for example. Or fixing a gate for someone. Not a lot of money, but would get me moving and engaged with actual humans instead of a screen full of zoomed in nostril hair all day 🫣.
I get you. I had the opposite problem. My job was a bit too exciting sometimes (concert & event production management/tech freelancing, delivering video, audio and lighting systems for live events, film etc. 18+ hour days running around putting out fires and babysitting adults) and so I went back to school, got a really fancy piece of paper and have a full time normie job developing Android apps for media conglomerates. It’s a nice change of pace, but I can see how 25 years of it would have a fella yearning to get outside. If you’re tech literate, corporate AV isn’t a bad way to make a living. You won’t get rich, but I was charging $600/day (10 hours) or $55/hr recently, before I made the move to software. Pretty good to just show up and work without investing anything in tools. They also pay for travel and hotels etc. for out of town shows. Not without its downsides, but you can control your schedule to a certain extent. I have attended a ton of cool trade shows, conferences, talks (did video projection for TED for a few years), and concerts as a side benefit.

Using your boat would accomplish the same thing 😁😁😉😉😉

Back