Mid-tier Salmon Jigging setup?

RogersonCrusoe

Hey guys,

My next season goal is to get better at jigging for salmon. I've had meager success to this point. I've read and re-read Waterwolf's jigging guide many many times so I think I'm getting the feel of it more and more each time.

However, I don't have the right tools for the job - our jigging setups are garage-sale specials and lack backbone, retrieve speeds and overall quality (broken eyes, crappy line etc etc). So looking for an upgrade. I can't bring myself to spend $500+ for the setups mentioned in Waterwolf's guide, and from other members' recommendations (as I'm a troller primarily). My budget is $250-$300 for Rod/Reel, I have Multicoloured braid and some Butterfly Jigs / Mac Deeps in the box.

Recommendations?

I recently got a shimano trevalla tvs66mh for about $180. I paired that with a Diawa BG 3500 for about $150. Tried this setup out a bit up on our esperanza trip this year and the rod handles the 160g butterfly jig well. no salmon hookups, though i did have one follow right to the surface. brought many rockfish and undersize lings up with it though. I went with a spinning setup because i like the flexibility of being able to cast, and im more familiar with it from my river fishing experience.

At your price point, hit up Harbour Chandler and check out their salmon jigging rod/reel/line combos. They are well tuned for VI waters.

The most important tool for jigging is a quality sounder that you know how to use. Find the bait that has fish in it, usually underneath the bait ball, drop your jig to that depth, catch fish, repeat. Don't waste you time jigging until you find bait. The rod and reel you choose is not too critical, heck, you can jig chinooks with a hand line, I have done it.

Here is a link to a mooching reel for $40 not so sure about the rods but one of them might do to
https://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/Rod-and-Reel_36048977

Suitable rod and reel combo
http://cowichanbay.canadianlisted.com/hunting-fishing/centerpin-rod-and-reel_4516693.html

The point is you should be able to find a moderately priced outfit to suit your needs. Spend your $$$ on a good sounder.

Last edited:
I'd say your return on investment best spent on the rod, personally. One with fast action but not overly heavy in the hand, so it's a pleasure to work with for hours, without fatigue. Most crappy salmon rods are way too soft to move the jig much. . .yeah they'll kind of get the job done, but mostly a waste of energy. Next ROI would be the reel to me, although I like a high speed burner with a good drag system. After that would be the electronics (big investment) and the boat design (bigger investment, ha!),
fb

I'd say your return on investment best spent on the rod, personally. One with fast action but not overly heavy in the hand, so it's a pleasure to work with for hours, without fatigue. Most crappy salmon rods are way too soft to move the jig much. . .yeah they'll kind of get the job done, but mostly a waste of energy. Next ROI would be the reel to me, although I like a high speed burner with a good drag system. After that would be the electronics (big investment) and the boat design (bigger investment, ha!),
fb
Thanks for the tips - I have a Elite 7 with an Airmar P66, so electronics are rock solid. The sponginess of the rod is what's really frustrating me the most I'd say as there's no backbone and they're old and heavy. I see Harbour Chandler has a combo that they recommend, perhaps it's worth a look:
https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop...ndler-custom-86-med-heavy-spinning-rod-combo/

I am approaching 70 y/o; been Salmon jigging since 1978. Spinning reels are best; you can cast & work the jig while it falls & retrieve very fast. Longer rods are more work, I currently go about 7 feet on the rod. Use braid 20# is fine. Use a short mono topshot 5 feet or so; it can be 40# for ruggedness. Best is hollow braid cuz the mono/braid goes thru the guides smoother. At around $150 US the spinning reels start to have components that make them more durable around saltwater such as a nice roller on the bail. Alan Hawk has great spinning reel info on his web site.

Expensive rods are real light & nice for an old man like me but in years past I never spent more than $50US on a rod. If you order a spinner from www.charkbait.com they will spool it with braid & make the mono/braid connection for you.

FYI your gear may not be the cause of your lack of success - it is called "vertical jigging" in that to get a proper action on the jig, the jig needs to flutter as it falls. If the current has taken you line to much more than 15 degrees or so from vertical, the jig will not "free-fall" & flutter. When this happens, you need to reel-in & start over. This is why I like a spinner; I can cast towards the direction the boat is drifting, & work the jig as it falls & letting out more line as needed to achieve the desired depth, then repeat. It is WORK to do it right, and high wind/and or current will make jigging impossible under some conditions. I usually jerk the jig up about 4 feet then let it fall. The strike usually comes on the fall & braid line helps detect this strike & get a rapid proper hook set.

Last edited:
Back