mid island halibut

M

mason.jar

It would appear that the east coast of vancouver island has a strong showing of halibut this year. There have been all kinds of reports this year from the usual areas like Cambell River and Courtenay. However what is unusual and not normally reported is all the halibut being caught off areas like French Creek, Lasquitti Island, Gabriola to name a few places. The latest report today off of Thrasher rock caught in a salmon derby. It would appear that the south Island is not the only easily accessed area to fish for halibut any more. Mason

Thrasher Rock Haibut
http://www.killfish.ca/theword/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1534.0;attach=598;image

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Nice to see a bit of a return of halibut to the inside.
Would also hate to see them targeted like off Victoria.
Let the population build for another ...x... years.
Everytime I look at a chart and see "halibut bank" I'm reminded of what overfishing does.
- And I'm not knocking anybody who catches one incidentally.-

Halibut bank is a full time year round RCA (No Fishing). My belief is that the halibut have always been there and that not many anglers have targeted them in the last 25 years, as they have in other areas. Most of these latest reports have been trolled up while targeting salmon. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Back