BUSTED!

M

mason.jar

I copied this from the other site www.killfish.ca , I thought that it was an interesting concept. Mason

C&P'd

...there are several projects through out Vancouver Island directed at catching poachers in high volume areas. One of the newest techniques that DFO is employing is land based long range visual cameras. Hundreds of them in areas of concern...many are solar and cellular equipt where by reporting info via the internet directly to officers who monitor anyone who passes through an area.

Let's put it this way - in many areas of Vancouver Island DFO does not even need to enter the water or sneak up on an area where the infraction has occurred, they witness it and record it electronically. They can easily observe any boat or angler and their actions or lack there of and they will act upon the issue.

Nanaimo and many hot moving water areas, like rivers and streams through out Vancouver Island have these hotspots. I would imagine where ever high volume salmon fishing or RCA areas are all monitored. Port Alberni, French Creek, Campbell River, Nanaimo, Gabriola and Victoria, Sooke and other areas will all be supporting these data transfers.

I support the idea...be forewarned...be er on a boat is seen and will eventually be acted upon. Record your chinook and ling before resetting gear - there was a Nanaimo based warning...visua l contact is supported via many high volume areas. I have seen the paper work for this project...it is real. My friend works back east in Ottawa.

Privy to something that I should not know...I know way too many people.

;)

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I hope they can distinguish between Race as well. Other wise they'll be wasting lots of Money chasing me around.[}:)]

Take only what you need.

Sounds/reads like a load of crap, someone can see me not</u> writing something down from half a mile away Yeah Right. [V]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

If you believe so, then you are king, as always Dogbreath! That is also the same reaction that the ill informed has had. Do some digging, you will be surprised, not ill informed. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

It is in action and passed the planning stage. The cost is less than millions to implement and exactly why they have taken this direction. The system is wireless, broadband/cellular and solar powered, long range visual video that is clear, obvious and works! The hotspots are active along the coast in many busy areas. The process end results are land based investigation after recorded observation from home office. There are hotspots located on ECVI and the westcoast as well as southern VI. Installations will continue as the test program has already proven positive results. These are land based remote controlled hotspots, this program has been in the process of development for a few years, and has only this year become live. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Sorry but that is bull masonjar. DFO and the RCMP have access to a radar system that has many blind spots but the camera thing is a crock.

The Nanaimo ,Island Waters Fly Fishers had the small lakes biologist to their meeting last week. He mentioned using a camera to count boats on some lakes . This was to supplement creel counts and to determine stocking requirements. It was not wireless. It required someone to retrive the data with each camera costing about $500. It was not for any type of enforcement.

I think for micro rule enforcement this sounds pretty unlikely...filling out your license for example. But for bigger stuff, easier to tell what's going on, I can see it.

A friend told me a story a couple of years ago about a buddy of his passing a truck parked on the side of the road west of Sooke. Guy was outside with a tripod. Buddy stopped, wandered over and asked what he was up to...something like "birdwatching" was the reply. But the camera was hooked up to a laptop, and before it was snapped closed the screen had a video of my friend hali fishing, clear as day.

Who knows what they were doing with it, but they were taking video for something. If you happened to be in an RCA, took more than your limit, or using illegal practices (a recreational long line?), then they could get you this way.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

I call BS. DFO has no money and manpower to pull off a project like this. They can barely keep up with their daily routines. And I know this from insiders as well.

There's no question that they have observer planes flying over Swiftsure and pretty regular patrol boat going from Bamfield east. So undermanned or not, there's some minimum level of enforcement going on already.

Land-based would be easier and cheaper, so I can see it. As long as it is effective (actually finding significant cheaters), then presumably the fines raised could outweigh the cost, making it "cost neutral". Especially if they are sending out relatively cheap summer interns, that sort of thing.

Not saying it isn't BS, could be...but to me it does not seem far-fetched.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

I doubt that the technology exists (even the Americans don't have that capability deployed along the Mexican border), but if it does exist, should it be used as described in Mason's first post?

quote:Originally posted by Time

I doubt that the technology exists (even the Americans don't have that capability deployed along the Mexican border), but if it does exist, should it be used as described in Mason's first post?

I'm in the industry of data networking and physical security systems and while technically possible the cost would be huge to run this sort of system over cellular or even landline.

Let's assume they want to monitor a relatively close area that is highly fished like the Constance Bank so they set up their array of cameras on Gonzales Hill. They'd have to have some sort of sophisticated motion detection and auto-zoom function with the camera so they could track boats entering the area and grab the registration info (that's a very good zoom to grab 4" letters 6 miles away). Then the system has to notice you've caught something -- identify the catch or activity is not legal -- implication for more sophisticated and intelligent software otherwise they would have to have a huge team of people sifting through video.

To identify boat lettering over that sort of distance also implies that the cameras are capturing in High Definition so that the letters could be resolved and viewed (if it's not HD, forget about seeing any detail -- if you doubt me, take a look at this camera and tell me if you think you could read a sign with 4" letters someone on the beach held up 100 yards away http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=7). The raw data would be captured at about 1 Gigabit per second (not possible to transmit that, so add a CODEC to the camera and compress the video to 5-10 Megabits per second -- that increases the cost of the camera). That immediately rules out transmission via cellular networks as their wireless data capabilities cannot sustain that sort of throughput.

Anyhow, I could go on and discuss the limitations of analytical software, camera costs, bandwidth costs, operational costs etc.... Long and short -- it's still much cheaper to give a guy a green shirt and a black zodiac and send him out on the water for a year than it would be to set up a camera.

TenMile
&lt;'((((&gt;&lt;

They're also releasing millions of robotic spy fish. ;)

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

It's ridiculous to even think DFO was able to pull this off! When you see how they struggle with simple daily tasks - but hey, scare tactic is a legitimate inforcement measure as well :)

Back