Mercury Optimax Oil

I have recently purchased a Optimax 150. The oil reservoir was filled with mercury 2 stroke oil that I used to have in my old Mercury Black Max.

What oil do you guys run in your Optimax ?.....And Why...

Mercury sells DFI Oil (Brownish color) and the (Blue) thick Mercury 2 stroke oil.

the dfi oil is specifically designed for optimax. Your plugs and reeds stay cleaner with it. I recomend running it. Others will say run any good 2 stroke oil but the optimax's burn very little so its worth the extra cost.

Have a 225 Opti and all I run in it now is Merc DFI Oil despite the fact that it is grossly overpriced, although in its early life it got the blue stuff from the previous owner. I have been able to make bulk Merc DFI oil purchases so that cuts the cost down a lot, although it is still expensive.

Why do I run it? Because I believe a new 225 Opti installed with prop, controls, smart gauge and tax would be over $20,000. and dealer repair costs and even basic maintenance costs on one of these motors would make Jimmy Paterson cry. So even if it is just a little better for the motor, I have convinced myself it is worth the extra cost. Hopefully I have not just bought into Merc’s marketing hype.

As I understand it, what you are paying for is additives, especially cleaners.

I think you will be pleased with how little fuel these motors burn for a two stroke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week I bought 12 litres of the DEF version of the oil. I haven't cracked the seal and wanted to hear from you guys before I switched over, or if I even needed to. I also bought it in bulk. Sea trial will be early next week... :)

I researched the hell out of the Opti's before buying mine. Lot's of Merc veterans on the hull truth said if you run the Opti oil, the quickleen, and use the quickcare you are golden. I have around 270 hrs on my 200 with zero problems. The torque is unreal!

Back