Meeting on halibut allocation with MP Randy Kamp etc.

Action!

Working halibut fishermen are getting the shaft as well. That has been said in a previous post and is worth repeating. They are afraid of losing all or part of their livelihood if there is any change. Sadly they need us to help them, as I believe they have to some extent been muzzled by the money boys. The entire coast will benefit when equity of opportunity is restored, and you and I can have a predicable and fair chance at taking a halibut home. One voice, one organisation? Absolutely!!! DFO and it's political masters are slaves to bad advice and powerful well funded lobbies. At the end of the day, we get what we need, or we all decide that DFO is completely irrelevant and collectively ignore them. Can you say Hali-Day Derby, to be held out of every harbour on the Coast, simultaneously. Can they arrest us all or will we allow them to target a few individuals? The political and legal firestorm would topple the government. Hopefully they get it, and do the correct thing, so this sort of action never becomes needed. Feb. 1, 2012 is the drop dead date. In the meantime, letters and calls to MPs and media, Calls to MLAs to get the province (provincial economy is being harmed by the inaction /bad decisions of the Feds) involved - These are the the things we can and must do as individuals. We are either part of the solution, or part of the problem. I know which side of the equation I want to be on.

Last edited by a moderator:
... we'll need the active fishermen's support to change the structure of the whole damn quota system to get the working commies from being bankrupted by the slipper skippers and have us work together to share the resources fairly.

... It is a massive challenge, but the right thing to do to ensure the resources are fished by people interested in the resource and not just the money.

Working halibut fishermen are getting the shaft as well. That has been said in a previous post and is worth repeating. They are afraid of losing all or part of their livelihood if there is any change. Sadly they need us to help them, as I believe they have to some extent been muzzled by the money boys.

BANG ON Both of you!
7.gif

Only one change Mi Chica, "some extent" should be worded to reflect reality. "COMPLETELY MUZZLED" is the correct terminology. The Working Fishermen have been directly informed that should they even mention "bucking the system" they are out on their butt. No more quota. Period. And of course as with anyone who's livelihood is threatened, they are damn scared of speaking up for their own rights. Sad but true...

We NEED them as much as they need us. We are both being Screwed Royally by the absentee quota holders in cahoots with The Dino. IMHO the only way we are ever going to see change is through cooperative efforts between our two groups. And that, as noted, is very much a massive challenge. It is one thing for me to sit down with my Buddies that fish leased quota over a beer, and to hear their concerns being expressed over the viability of their livelihoods directly due to exorbitant lease rates. It is quite another to get these same folks to stick their necks firmly on the Quota Brokers' chopping block.

That said, I sincerely believe that were we collectively to come up with a workable solution, that would present the most viable alternative to seeking positive change. I, and a great many others, are working towards that task now. It very much IS an uphill battle, but one well worth fighting IMO.

And on it goes...
Nog

Yeah, and another point worth mentioning...don't fall for all that Experimental Hali License crap they were promoting either. What a flop that concept was. Classic bait and switch by the slipper skippers who wanted to perpetuate their money laundering scheme onto the recreational sector so they could screw both the legitimate commercial hali fishers and us at the same time. Beauty! I'll be willing to bet the only "Experimental" Licenses that were sold went to the Slipper Skippers and their families to try to prop up their hair brained concept...not to mention probably little or no actual pounds of quota were caught. I'll eat my hat if they sold more than a couple of hundred pounds of quota.....Fish It, or Lose It...no transferability. Unfished quota must revert to the crown to re-allocate. That would be Fair 4 All.:D

That info should be available to the public, no reason it shouldn't be. If not make a Freedom of Information request and get it (although it may take a while).

Estimate only

2011 Experimental Recreational Halibut Fishery (as
of Sep 19, 2011)

Total number of expressions of interest received 139
Total number of applications sent to harvesters 95
Total number of licences issued 50
Quota acquired on experimental licences (lbs)* 4240
Quota removed from experimental licences (returned
to original seller) -3200
Total quota currently on experimental licences (lbs) 1040
Catch reported (lbs) 181

ya that was an effective program eh,:rolleyes: lmfao, what a joke:mad:...holmes*

Beats me why they would offer it in 1st place...if there was extra to go around why not extend the season & gift it to us:mad:...SS

Fits in with what I was told too. Comes from an unnamed source who is supposed to know what is happening........... (That does not include me!!! LOL!) Anything further you can tell us on the 17% you mentioned ???

Cheers
Bryan

These are really numbers... :)

Good thing, looks like I can keep my hat....less than 200 pounds landed. Figures!! Me smells a rat and he's wearing slippers. As stated, unfished quota should revert to the crown to be reallocated so we can stop playing these silly games. Fair 4 All??

Back