Meeting on halibut allocation with MP Randy Kamp etc.

Whole in the Water.. in one way, the Halibut Coalition is doing some of that. But it still needs individual anglers as much as umbrella organizations... Its tough to get us all focused... but I think that message is slowly getting through.

Derby-- you are correct Sir!
Cheers

Whole in the Water.. in one way, the Halibut Coalition is doing some of that. But it still needs individual anglers as much as umbrella organizations... Its tough to get us all focused... but I think that message is slowly getting through.

Derby-- you are correct Sir!
Cheers

And you are correct with your statement above..... the message is getting slowly getting thru and we are starting to focused in the right direction....this will not be over till the halibut allocation is fair for all.... :)

Just a simple thought from a simple idiot,

Commercial FISHERS hold 88% ownership of a public resource(namely halibut in this case), do natives also hold ownership of a public resource? IF TWO OTHER SECTORS HOLD OWNERSHIP OF A PUBLIC RESOURCE, THEN WHAT IS MY SHARE OF OWNERSHIP IN THAT SAME RESOURCE? You can't own a fish until it is dead and on board your vessel, this is proven through historic law. How is it today that, there are sectors who operate outside of the better good who hold ownership of fish resources before the catch is actual caught? If there is not a sliding scale implemented that will accommodate all three sectors, then it is for certain that DFO and the two sectors claiming ownership over a public resource are simply working in contempt of the law. No single sector can ever be excluded or denied access to a single resource. DFO had no right to close halibut in season. PERIOD!

DHA

Simply proving once gov't is elected they can do whatever they want. :mad:

Mmmm...No, they can not do what ever they want. You see, in law, silence is acceptance to any policy or ACT that is put into play. YOU ACCEPT, WHEN YOU DON'T SPEAK!

DHA

They do indeed whatever they want because they know we will roll over. And if they need they can just change the law as it pleases them as we have given them a majority! Looking pretty grim when you think of fairness.

They do indeed whatever they want because they know we will roll over. And if they need they can just change the law as it pleases them as we have given them a majority! Looking pretty grim when you think of fairness.

Only in your silence chris73, only in your silence do you agree with the Acts and policies that you allow your elect to put into play!

DHA

We have come across stronger this year with letter writing, town hall meetings, demonstrations etc. If we keep it up and increase the effort we won't be so silent. We did get some attention this year. We just need to keep the snowball rolling until it get's large enough that it rolls them right into a corner. I haven't researched the legal end of it much myself but I do think DHA sends a good message that we should inform ourselves about the law around this issue.

Agreed Sculp, but it's simply not going to happen while BC's rec-fishing community remains 'split' into some many camps.
The Fed/Province know this and they play on it; always have.

I would like to see a movement towards absolute 'Unification' of BC's sport-fishing community.
I don't give a **** which umbrella we all stand under - but lets choose one or make one!

Whether it's the SFI or the BCWF or whatever I don't give a ****, why can't we all just get together on this - one family, one voice!

Think about it, with an organized voice several hundred thousand strong, nimble as a cat and able to respond like a well choreographed 'Swat-team', Ottawa & Victoria would have no choice but to wake-up and get their ****-together. We could find & hire the best environmental lawyers out there to defend in court ours and our children's right-to-fish, if necessary.

The fish-farmers, would be history in a heart-beat!

Another salient point: We would not need the media on board for any of our campaigns; we could simply buy our air/press time.
I don't know about you guys but I'm long tired of spending time trying to carefully craft a letter with the hope that some 'Political-puppet' editor working for some 'Politically-controlled' rag will have the good heart to publish it in the interest of the rec-fishing community, or, that it may actually come across the desk of the 'Greasy' politician you wrote it to.

As a single, powerful (near 1/2 million strong) well-financed, well managed organization focused on conservation and rec-fishing allocation issues, we could seriously influence Public-Opinion. And when you have the power to influence the general public - you have the power to sway Politicians in favor of conservation of both, the species, and our right to fair access. Until then, we are 'pissing into the wind!'

The 'snow-ball' has been pushed over the edge by those who could care less about us. As it gathers speed down the hill, lets see how big it gets!

Footnote: DHA; I feel your frustration in your words, but rest assured Chris is not one to remain silent on issues that affect us. He also gives much of his time and himself to further conservation initiatives and rec-fishing opportunities here on the South Island.

Hi Little Hawk,

My comment was a generalization, rather than a pointed comment at Chris. Chris has dedicated a lot of valued time helping the sport cause, I wish there were more individuals like him, and you also. I agree that the sport sector must become unified in order to have a common voice.

DHA

No offense taken. I just wanted to seize the moment to give Chris some applause. He deserves it.

Time to ramp this up again boys? ... it's not like we didn't see this comming...trying to get fisherman to agree is like rounding up stray cats , good luck with that one.I agree the gov gets what the gov wants...take for example the HST we voted to have it removed it's still here(2013)we grumble for a while & soon forget...SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...I heard from someone who was at a meeting (not sure if this one) with the parliamentary assistant that it looked fairly good for sportsfishermen to get 17% this upcoming year...

I vote we start at 50% and see where we get from there.
2 per day 4 in poss with a season that is NOT cut short.
If it does not look like we will reach our limit then divide the rest up to the active fishermen.
Perhaps give it to then at .25 per pound and will see the slipper skippers squirm.
Not a pound of halibut should be exported until all Canadians needs are meet.
GLG

Fighting over % is a battle not the war

I have been doing some reading regarding the problems associated with commercial fishing licences and quota systems. I don't believe any ground will be gained by arguing over percentages. When DFO allowed licences to be held by individuals and corporations that do not actively fish the licence, that is when the problems began. When they assigned quota to those licences, the slipper skippers were borne and the JP/Packers enslavement of the working fishermen began. Licence values skyrocketed based on the gambling nature of fishermen, combined with the baby boomer fishermen starting to retire, the boomers wanted to cash in and rent their licences for annual income or sell them at extortion prices. The next generation of commercial fishermen couldn't borrow from the banks to buy the licences (because they are not property), so the commies were forced to pay high rents or go to the fish packers for financing. Well, good old JP Packers said yeah we got the cash and we'll lend it to you, but we'll be partners. You gotta sell your fish at whatever price we'll pay you and you gotta sell it to us. Now they have their name on lots of licences and the fishermen are working for a fraction of what the last generation made. Wages. The Halibut and sablefish/blackcod fisheries are the worst. They now have the highest lease cost of all the commies and a percentage of total catch value. I think the reports to Ottawa mention 70 to 80% of total catch value goes to paying for the lease or the financing on the packers loan for the licence. The crew get to share what is left after costs. They are getting squeezed by the slipper skippers but cannot fight back or they'll get blackballed. It is often their own retired family members and the buyer of their fish and finacer of their boat that holds the cards, with JP Packers standing behind them all and taking the politicians out for drinks. Most of the working commies are not rich slipper skippers. They got screwed too. I'll need to put all the reports **** together to assemble a good letter, but we'll need the active fishermen's support to change the structure of the whole damn quota system to get the working commies from being bankrupted by the slipper skippers and have us work together to share the resources fairly. They won't want to band together and have a voice unless Ottawa is willing to stand up for the working men, settle the books/revalue the licnces, and give the resources back to the fishermen (commercial and rec). It is a massive challenge, but the right thing to do to ensure the resources are fished by people interested in the resource and not just the money. Unfortunately there was a recent court case between royal bank and a fisherman and they ruled that the commercial licence WAS property for collection purposes. This is a serious wrench to the legal argument that fish and quota are a common resource of the people and not owned. That case needs an appeal. Stay tuned.

Nice informative post Nautigirl. Correctly positioned the problem for both commercial and recreational fishers. Catch 22 situation for the poor buggers who are trying to make a living with the limited profit left after paying the ransom for quota. Lose/lose situation for all concerned and sets the stage to pit commercial guys against rec fishers. Time for DFO to eliminate the transferability of quota. Fish it or lose it, and no selling it.

Back