Marked Gas Problem Solved.... at last !

ydouask

I haven't posted for many months. Strangely enough have recognized that there are many here who know what they're talking about and I'm better off listening... most of the time!

At one time last winter , I think, I asked whether anyone thought that the DYE used to mark " Purple Gas" or marked gas had any negative effects on the gas. I didn't find anyone with similar suspicions.
Well, there are several varialbles here. The first is time. Very often I put the boat ,( 20 ft Double Eagle), away for about four or five months between periods of use.
The second involves different engines. The inboard, ( 302 V-8) starts without fail and runs well. The outboard spits , farts, stalls, and generally is impossible to love. The kicker is a 2003 Honda 9.9 four stroke.
Both engines use fuel from the same source, and both are serviced by the same in -line fuel filter.
Difference... the fuel line to the inboard is about twenty to forty years old. It is just fine. The fuel line to the kicker is about ten years old ( I call it new), and about five feet longer than the inboard fuel line.

Some of you might call Bull ****, but what I've found out is this. Before attempting to start to Honda, (electric starter) , I open the drain in the carb and use the priming pump to pump out the line . I can tell the line has been cleared because the initial drianings are a very DARK RED ( high concentration of dye). When the fuel shows just a hint of colour I close the drain, squeeze the priming pump once or twice and hit the starter button. IT STARTS and RUNS perfectly.
My only conclusion here is that over four or five months , some of the gas must evaporate through the line from the in-line filter between the in-line filter and the kicker carb..... leaving very dark dye coloured old fuel in the line, which the Honda does not like at all.

I can't say enough good things about the Honda 9.9, but now know that she is very sensitive to stale fuel. If anyone else has been having similar difficulties with their kicker (s), try the " drain the line" routine. Hank.

thanks hank,,both my hondas get the fuel lines drained if the boat sits for more than two weeks.. yes they are hypersensitive to fuel issues.good solve

I run my honda 15. 4stroke on reg gas have used marked gas, my guy tells me its not the best for engines. for the few cents diff its worth it.

I've run marked fuel exclusively (except rare occasions when not available) for over 30 years in all the engines I've owned. I also add fuel stabilizer during the winter and make sure the engines run long enough to have that mix through them. I also start up the engines every 2 weeks to not only move the fuel, but to lube the cylinders and bearings with new oil, move the steering, the tilt, in and out of gear and to keep track of any new problems that I don't need sneaking up on me in spring.

I've run marked fuel exclusively (except rare occasions when not available) for over 30 years in all the engines I've owned. I also add fuel stabilizer during the winter and make sure the engines run long enough to have that mix through them. I also start up the engines every 2 weeks to not only move the fuel, but to lube the cylinders and bearings with new oil, move the steering, the tilt, in and out of gear and to keep track of any new problems that I don't need sneaking up on me in spring.

You must have been watching what I do. Your procedure matches mine exactly. With my direct injected 2 stroke It's pretty important to follow this procedure especially for those of us who don't winterize their outboards.
Dave

Back