Marine gas/marked gas where to buy in Victoria ?

TheRock

What gas stations (not marinas) in Victoria sell Marked gas ? I noticed the Co-op gas station by Home depot/Bear Mt. there sells it.. how much of a savings is it to use Marked gas for a boat than un Marked gas? Is it better grade fuel than say the lowest grade 87 oct. for vehicles?

It's got a slightly higher octane (89). You can get it at Spencer Rd Shell, and Colwood Shell (Across from Dairy Queen). It saves you 5 cents a litre over regular road gas.

Don't put it in your car, you save next to nothing on an average fill, and the fines are terrible if you get caught. The red dye means no road taxes are being paid on it.

I could see them start to check cars for marked with fuel prices going up. You will save around $0.10 to $0.15 per litre over the price at the marina, so in some cases it may be worth it to bring your own.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Our boat is moored at Sooke Harbour, we always bring our own gas, two jerry cans per fishing trip... we been using regular 87oct.
going to start using the Marine gas... cheeper and better grade!
Thanks !

Dan when I go up hunting we usually get about 700 litres 3 - 45 gallon drums and jerry cans for where we go in the bush and we burn it in the trucks and we are allowed to because there is no "highway tax" on thats why farm trucks get away with it as well.

Nothing wrong with it same as mid grade but it has purple dye in it we watched the guy put it in the drums about 1/4 cup in a 45 drum.

Nice break for the trucks I tell you especially up north.

wolf

On an out board 225 HP. 2 stroke engine.. what oct. fuel is recommended ? Is there any real advantage in using higher grade fuels eg. 94 oct. vers. 87 oct. on an out board 2 stroke engine ? Boat storage in winter time... will a 94 oct. fuel in your tank is less likely to go bad than a lower grade fuel say 87oct. ?

quote:Originally posted by TheRock

On an out board 225 HP. 2 stroke engine.. what oct. fuel is recommended ? Is there any real advantage in using higher grade fuels eg. 94 oct. vers. 87 oct. on an out board 2 stroke engine ? Boat storage in winter time... will a 94 oct. fuel in your tank is less likely to go bad than a lower grade fuel say 87oct. ?

I think I answered my own question here.. find some stuff on the net on this topic....

18. I have an outboard with higher compression. Should I burn PREMIUM gas?
NO! Here's why. The octane ratings are composed of 2 components, research octane and motor octane (RXM/2) divided by 2. The RESEARCH octane is the quality of the base stock, the MOTOR octane is derived from additives. The oil company will never tell you the ratios. Problem is the highest octanes are achieved by MOTOR octane additives, which will just gum up the pistons in a 2 cycle engine. Base stock is generally the same. The MID-GRADE gas has the detergent additives needed to clean your motor and sufficient octane for MOST motors. If you have a MERCURY, FORCE or OMC motor from the early 70's thru mid-80's refer to technical bulletins from the manufacturers for timing changes and replacement head gaskets to lower compression to use today's gasoline's.

from an online forum..........stick with Regular, premium burns to hot for the engine and shortens the life span, burns out the rings in the system as well.. its a major no no.. if it pings, take it to a dealer.. let them sort it out.. dont shorten the life by using the wrong fuel, even my local yamaha dealer said.. "Yamaha outboards are made for standard unleaded fuel because its easier to get and that is what they are designed for"

-----OrigYes, this is and old topic that pokes its head up every now and then. Premium does burn hotter in the combustion chamber and that is largely anaffected by the general engine temperature that is mainatined by water flowing through the engine. Premium is more designed for high performance engines and can cause damage to the pistons, valves and rings of engines not designed for premium if used for an extended period. Pinging will also damage an engine and this should be sorted out either by the seller if still under warranty or by a suitably qualified technician. The only engine I know that would be designed for premium would be the Mercury Verado range of supercharged 4-stroke outboards.

The Co op on Millstream by the Loghouse pub also has marked midgrade, and the Shell off the highway in Millbay also has marked midgrade

I thought there was a thread on this last year. Some guys shared some problematic experiences with marked gas. Has anyone else had any problems with marked gas?

I was at the Spencer Rd Shell the other day to fill the tanks and I couldn't find the marked.

I've used it (89 marked) for the last 15 years in my old two stroke Merc with never a problem.

Higher grade octane contains more alcohol, alcohol washes off the oil of the cylender walls, not what you want when running a 2 stroke of anytype... 89 is probaly max

quote:Originally posted by Mongoose

Higher grade octane contains more alcohol, alcohol washes off the oil of the cylender walls, not what you want when running a 2 stroke of anytype... 89 is probaly max

Can you explain the facts underlying that last statement? Last time I checked, a two stroke was lubricated by oil dissolved in the fuel mixture. What I read above is kind of like saying you can was the soap off the car with soapy water.

I have not met an outboard engine that requires any more then regular 87 octane pump gas, with the exception of the 275 Verado that uses a supercharger to make it's power. Higher octane gas actually burns SLOWER then lower octane gas, this is to prevent pre-ignition (Pinging) that cane cause damage to your engine.

Does anyone know of a Sooke gas station with marine fuel? I'ld like to stop there on the way to Renny. Thanks.

quote:

Can you explain the facts underlying that last statement? Last time I checked, a two stroke was lubricated by oil dissolved in the fuel mixture. What I read above is kind of like saying you can was the soap off the car with soapy water.

I have not met an outboard engine that requires any more then regular 87 octane pump gas, with the exception of the 275 Verado that uses a supercharger to make it's power. Higher octane gas actually burns SLOWER then lower octane gas, this is to prevent pre-ignition (Pinging) that cane cause damage to your engine.
[/quote]

Well i guess you havent met the millions of other merc that use 89. My '91 115 runs it, ive been told by Many mercury mechanics, previous owner, to run 89 and not higher or lower. It runs 89 because its around 10.5:1 compression.

Back