Marine Fire Extinguisher Choices

Aquaholic

Crew Member
Hopefully not a done to death topic.

For a hand held, wall mount style for marine applications. The wall mount material and type is critical in my opinion, so much plastic junk that looks like they would not last a few trips in rough water.

How big is your boat, and how big (in pounds) did you choose for it? I have an 18 CC, my surveyor friend suggested (not mandated) a 10 pound if I can find one, however I am thinking a 5 pound due to space. Lots of 2's available for cheap, which I currently carry one of, but it will go in my home kitchen once I upgrade.

Refillable or one and done?

Any tips or suggestions?

2lb are great if you "almost" want to put a fire out. 5lb is what I would use. Talk to Rollie(Profisher) for fire extinguishers, he deals with that stuff for a living.

2lb are great if you "almost" want to put a fire out. 5lb is what I would use. Talk to Rollie(Profisher) for fire extinguishers, he deals with that stuff for a living.
I was hoping for a recommendation from amongst us, thanks for this.

Hopefully not a done to death topic.

For a hand held, wall mount style for marine applications. The wall mount material and type is critical in my opinion, so much plastic junk that looks like they would not last a few trips in rough water.

How big is your boat, and how big (in pounds) did you choose for it? I have an 18 CC, my surveyor friend suggested (not mandated) a 10 pound if I can find one, however I am thinking a 5 pound due to space. Lots of 2's available for cheap, which I currently carry one of, but it will go in my home kitchen once I upgrade.

Refillable or one and done?

Any tips or suggestions?
There is very specific guidelines on the Transport Canada website about legal requirements for extinguishers on different sizes of boats both pleasure craft and commercial. The smallest I believe allowable is a single 5BC and you require a second one if you have a galley or any cooking appliances but this is to my recollection and recommend you do your own homework.

I have 2 on my 20’ boat. A 5BC and a 10BC next to my helm.

For quality I really like the all metal Strike First Brand.

Hope this helps

I have 2 of these on my boat as I have gas cooktop too.
decent price . They are not that big for a 10BC

Same here, thinking of getting a bigger 10lbs to add to it, but not in a rush , have a bunch of leftovers from job sites that are still all charge up in my shop, but my ocd is not sure where to mounts it

Make sure up to date or a 280 dollar fine I hear
I’ve even had them compare the serial number on the tank to that on the tag before

Last edited:
There is very specific guidelines on the Transport Canada website about legal requirements for extinguishers on different sizes of boats both pleasure craft and commercial. The smallest I believe allowable is a single 5BC and you require a second one if you have a galley or any cooking appliances but this is to my recollection and recommend you do your own homework.

I have 2 on my 20’ boat. A 5BC and a 10BC next to my helm.

For quality I really like the all metal Strike First Brand.

Hope this helps

I just received the KMS flyer at work

1659567003016.png

1659567171171.png

I just realized this was for the 5lb.
I can’t remember for sure but I think CREST on Burnside Road was $64 for the 10lb and certified it and put a fresh tag on it for me.
I honestly don’t know if a out of the box one comes with a cert?
The out of the box ones I bought still need a cert. We have some older extinguishers at home and the office that need certs and recharging as well so I will get to have an adventure and make a morning of it.

I had been thinking and putting off getting two 5 pound units for the boat and this sale spurred me on.

Bigger is better and more are better. If your boat has space, have two. Store them in a place away from where a fire is more likely to occur (not in the galley under the stove), but easily accessible. Every month or two, turn then upside down 5 times, and give them a couple taps on the bottom to prevent the powder from settling. Remember PASS (Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep). And check your smoke detectors!

I keep 2 5-pounders in my 22’ Weldcraft. What ever size you go with get two and put them at different ends of the boat. I have one at the helm and one at the transom. Having them at different locations means that one is always close at hand (a timely response is everything in a fire) plus it reduces the risk of access to an extinguisher being cutoff because of the very fire you are trying to put out.

10lb in the galley and a 5lb in the v-berth. I buy new ones and bring the old to the jobsite every year. I usually just get them from crappy tire. I think the 10lb is like $60

It's worth checking the specs on the unit you're considering buying. I just did that for the 4 lb. ABC unit that I keep at my apartment exit door. It only has 14 seconds of discharge time. I'm feeling undergunned now. If I still had a decent sized boat, I'd have at least a 10 lb. primary plus a 5 or 10 lb. backup. Don't want to have to jump overboard, then hope for a quick rescue.

10lb in the galley and a 5lb in the v-berth. I buy new ones and bring the old to the jobsite every year. I usually just get them from crappy tire. I think the 10lb is like $60
It used to be cost effective to buy a new one but a recertification is actually inexpensive and quick for the average dude. But I understand you are recycling them through a business.

There’s nothing worse when you run out of retardant and the fire is still going

Back