Marine BBQ and Propane options.

Wooly

Hey guys I have a Newport Marine BBQ, couple feet by a foot. half the size of a regular deck BBQ. It runs off the little 1 pounders. How much grilling time will i get off a 1 pound tank? Just wondering if any of you have a similar grill on your boat? Maybe i should install a 5 or 10 pound tank on the transom and get a hose too hook it up? any suggestions and is the transom the best place to install the propane? and whats the best way to go about installing a tank?

Cheers,

Wooly

I routinely use a 1 pound for trips of about a week duration and carry a spare,never ran out yet, never even had to use the spare. I initially carried a 10 lb tank but they are expensive and take up a lot of room. 5lb are ridiculously priced so I never even considered one.The other upside of the1 lb is they are available almost everywhere ,whereas getting a tank filled can sometimes be a problem.If you do run out you can usually pick up another one lb as most campers use them for heaters, lights, and stoves so many places carry them.I usually pick up a four pack when they are on sale and found it pretty inexpensive for my needs.
I guess it all comes down to how much you use your BBQ? I would certainly see if the 1 lb option works before spending any more time or money

Just to add to that, I believe there are just over 21000 BTU in a LB of propane (you can google it for the exact number). If you know from your manual how many BTU's your BBQ uses at its max rating say 10,000 per hour for a portable, then divide that number into 21000 you come up with 2.1hours at max temp. Remember thats the minimum time with the BBQ on its highest setting! Most people don't cook on High so you should get considerably longer. When I first went back to 1 lb cylinders I used them at home and tracked how long it would roughly last. My data isn't perfect and I have been known to use the beer timing method to determine cooking times i.e. "that's been on the BBQ for one beer and will be ready in about another", But in this case I had my wife track it using the clock method.

I routinely use a 1 pound for trips of about a week duration and carry a spare,never ran out yet, never even had to use the spare. I initially carried a 10 lb tank but they are expensive and take up a lot of room. 5lb are ridiculously priced so I never even considered one.The other upside of the1 lb is they are available almost everywhere ,whereas getting a tank filled can sometimes be a problem.If you do run out you can usually pick up another one lb as most campers use them for heaters, lights, and stoves so many places carry them.I usually pick up a four pack when they are on sale and found it pretty inexpensive for my needs.
I guess it all comes down to how much you use your BBQ? I would certainly see if the 1 lb option works before spending any more time or money

Thanks guys great advice!

Merry Christmas!

There's also adapters available so you can refill your own 1lbers and save some cash.

That's correct. I know a few guys who have built their on fillers. You just refuel off a 20 lb. tank.
Dave

Back