March derby- Barclay Sound.

hows the fishin now, anyone heard anything. thinking of going

Heard they have been getting a few out there. Check out silver bullett's posts, he's keeping on top of it.

Everyone to bed early, need to get an early start in the morning.

One more sleep....

oh yeah...Nahmint definitely has big waves if the winds occur, I went to Bamfield with a Bamfield resident in one windy late morning, waves in Alberni inlet wasn't that bad except Nahmint area! very bumpy rides!

i was fishing off the wall when the winner came in.14lbs 15 oz.really awesome scrap.the girl did well, 500 bucks in her pocket to boot. It seemed like most of the fish came from the bamfield wall with a few from my friends at pill and vernon bay. Our sucses came with cop car coyotee spoon dragging right on the bottom in about 90 feet.Everybody seemed to have got one or two.We ended up with a couple of springs as well as our limit of bottom fish.Were going to give it a shot on tuesday

Lance

Hey Stress Medicine,

How are you doing? We're still recovering. Thanks for waiting for us. LOL!!! We had to wait for the Banfield Coast Guard to tow us in. Just Joking! Look forward to seeing you at MacTooooosh! Is Barb doing your post for you because you spell too well. I;m serious!

Grace, Lance, Paul & Anna (Jacob, Malibu & Phoenix)

Silverbullet77,
We stopped as we said we would and tried for bottom fish at San Mateao but current was running so strong we could hardly get a line to the bottom so after putzing around for half an hour or so, decided to say the hell with it. Besides was starting to rain. Heard your call on the radio when we called "Lucky John" and replied, but you didn't come back. We were going through Namint at the time. Kind of figured you didn't see us and wanted to know where we were. Knew you were home when I seen your post last night. Get your starter fixed? Yeah we'll see you on the water this summer. Likely won't be over on that side until May when we move into camp. I'm sure you'll be out so, good luck.

Well sports fans, I guess that's it for the 2008 Sproat Lake Loggers Winter Spring Fishing Derby.
While I'm not an official spokesperson, I am an avid supporter of the derby and certainly appreciate the work the guys put into organizing it, so here are a couple thoughts.

Definately a big thanks to Mossman & company and especially Connie & Timber Bigfoot at the Nook. Free camping, moorage weigh-in and recording all provide great support. Over 300 people were entered and there were enough prizes to almost guarantee everyone came away with some momento. This was the 20th Derby and to celebrate they raised first prize to $500, with $300 & $200 for second and third. After that it was a ticket draw and select a prize. Some excellent merchandise purchased with ticket money and donated by suppliers. This year fishing was probably the worst it has been for years and certainly the smallest winning fish, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching. We stayed in the bunkhouse and enjoyed meeting different people and the comradarie after a long day on the water.
Looking ahead the organizers reported they are working with the Port Boat House and Yamaha for promotional prizes and hopefull of something really special for next year.
So on that note, lets see more people next year. It is an excellent start to the fishing season and gets those winter cob webs out of our gear. Be there or be square (or a *****)LOL. Cheers.

Back