Malibu Tyee Thoughts

bewacha

I am considering taking a look at this boat, according to the ad its a 1993 hull with a 70hp Yamaha (300 hours) for 14K. Curious from anyone who knows if there is anything to look out for with these boats? I'm also wondering if 70ho would be underpowered?

Thanks!

Brandon

Attachments

• Boat.png
    Boat.png
    983 KB · Views: 52
Underpowered but the price reflects that. You could do well by buying that and selling the power for 5k and looking for a used (or new) 115

Yes underpowered for sure.
Second this motion. 90 is the minimum acceptable power. The 70 yamaha is a 50 with more top end. It would be a real bad.
I have a 17.2 which is the same hull. It's got a 115 yam which is ideal. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one with a 90 but some will tell you that's a bit light on power.

I am considering taking a look at this boat, according to the ad its a 1993 hull with a 70hp Yamaha (300 hours) for 14K. Curious from anyone who knows if there is anything to look out for with these boats? I'm also wondering if 70ho would be underpowered?

Thanks!

Brandon

Underpowered. I have 185 and the hulls of any of these boats are a bit heavier than a DE. A 115 would be ideal. 90 minimum.

If it has a built in tank and the filler cap is in the splashwell you can get seawater in the tank. Speaking from experience on that one. Also as mentioned by others it's underpowered.

It all depends what you are doing with it
If you plan on water sports like skiing or tubing
If all you want to do is fish in good conditions then it will get you there
But you won’t win any races lol 😂

I had an old 16’ Hourston with a 40hp 4 stroke, running 20miles in/out to fish and trolling all day was dirt cheap. Friend has a 17tyee with an old 70 2s and kicker sure a 115 would be awesome but he puts 2 dogs 2 kids himself and his wife in there and gets on plane so if you like the boat I’d say go check it out and seatrial. You could ditch t kicker with that newer 4 stroke and save yourself 100# of extra weight

Not saying that a 70 is ideal power but there were tons of 17 DE out in Sooke back in the 70-80's with 70's on them, not ideal but as Brando mentioned they do ok. We has a 115 and did a lot of watersports with it, that was ideal power for sure.

Not saying that a 70 is ideal power but there were tons of 17 DE out in Sooke back in the 70-80's with 70's on them, not ideal but as Brando mentioned they do ok. We has a 115 and did a lot of watersports with it, that was ideal power for sure.
Those boats were around for years. Did not see people getting rid of the 70s, so they must have been alright for fishing. Depends on what you want to use the boat for or how fast you want to go, it not like the 115s catch more fish than the 70s. Sooke has some pretty ugly conditions and sure the 70s got them back home.

Those boats were around for years. Did not see people getting rid of the 70s, so they must have been alright for fishing. Depends on what you want to use the boat for or how fast you want to go, it not like the 115s catch more fish than the 70s. Sooke has some pretty ugly conditions and sure the 70s got them back home.
It’s stiz that started all this underpower thing lol, I mean sure extra power is nice, but if the boat moves 15-20 mpg , in good weather your fishing, ask the old commercial guys on here they fished all over the cost offshore doing 7-12 knots

But those were 70 2 stokes. This is really a 50hp yamaha with more top end. If it was a 76ho yamaha (the detuned 90/115), it might be one step above a total dog. There's should be a considerable torque difference with the 70 two stroke that would make it tolerable relative to pushing more fuel through a 50 yam..

But those were 70 2 stokes. This is really a 50hp yamaha with more top end. If it was a 76ho yamaha (the detuned 90/115), it might be one step above a total dog. There's should be a considerable torque difference with the 70 two stroke that would make it tolerable relative to pushing more fuel through a 50 yam..
The 70 omc 2 stroke at that time were power head rated , which most of these boats were using. When they went to prop rated the 70 was a really a 60. This happen to all the two strokes because yamaha started use prop rating instead of powerhead rating. The 4stroke yamaha 70 has 4 valves per cylinder vs two for the 60 and 50 and has a bigger bottem end so it uses a bigger prop And a better gear ratio.

It’s stiz that started all this underpower thing lol, I mean sure extra power is nice, but if the boat moves 15-20 mpg , in good weather your fishing, ask the old commercial guys on here they fished all over the cost offshore doing 7-12 knots
Yep and proud of it. I’ve had a 90 and 115. Would be hard to go back to a 90 would be impossible to go back to 70.
I’m back to taking more serious looking at boats boys. I’ll be back on the water in 2025!!!

The 70 omc 2 stroke at that time were power head rated , which most of these boats were using. When they went to prop rated the 70 was a really a 60. This happen to all the two strokes because yamaha started use prop rating instead of powerhead rating. The 4stroke yamaha 70 has 4 valves per cylinder vs two for the 60 and 50 and has a bigger bottem end so it uses a bigger prop And a better gear ratio.

We have a Yamaha F70 in the family...it's a sweet motor for its class. As mentioned by @Duffy the cylinder head is different that the F50/F60. The biggest difference is that it uses a larger lower unit (same lower unit as the 90/115 class) so you have way better selection for props, and the bigger props provide more bite in the water...especially noticeable in reverse.

My opinion of the Tyee with "only" a F70 pushing it is that it's on the light end for power, but if you're not a speed demon it would be fine. It's a nice, light motor.

I feel like we barely did 7 knots in the titanium wood a double ender. Fished all around the island and even made it to the queen charlottes, can’t find them on a map anymore but it was a long run, piloting my shift at midnight with no night vision.

A lot of apples and orange comparisons but I’ve flown in open 16 foot aluminum StarCraft with a 40hp merc 2 stroke and then sea trialled a 16 StarCraft with a windshield with what I think was a 50 yami 4 stroke and she was a dog. How heavy a boat is, how you load it and how much torque (displacement as another member always says) the engine has, and how it’s propped.

My boat is overloaded, so doesn’t have the speed or grunt I would like but that’s my fault for having kids and friends who weight 250 and thinking I need downriggers to catch fish and not wanting to run out of gas with 100 gallons or close way to much of the time.

I feel like we barely did 7 knots in the titanium wood a double ender. Fished all around the island and even made it to the queen charlottes, can’t find them on a map anymore but it was a long run, piloting my shift at midnight with no night vision.

A lot of apples and orange comparisons but I’ve flown in open 16 foot aluminum StarCraft with a 40hp merc 2 stroke and then sea trialled a 16 StarCraft with a windshield with what I think was a 50 yami 4 stroke and she was a dog. How heavy a boat is, how you load it and how much torque (displacement as another member always says) the engine has, and how it’s propped.

My boat is overloaded, so doesn’t have the speed or grunt I would like but that’s my fault for having kids and friends who weight 250 and thinking I need downriggers to catch fish and not wanting to run out of gas with 100 gallons or close way to much of the time.
Don’t get me wrong power is nice , but if you can get on plane with gear and fishing buddy, you have enough power to fish

Back