Mainstream defamation case dismissed ...

Its to bad Dave isn't posting here. He can really add to the discussion with his thorough back ground in pacific salmon. The guy is a treasure chest of information.

In orded to be use to this board, his "knowledge" would have to be non-biased......thats not him. a shill is a shill is a shill...................

Gawd, had to come back … Cuba Libre, I’m not a shill, just a guy who’s proud to be pro salmon farming and someone who knows a little bit about this and other issues involving the future of salmon, wild and farmed, in BC…

Thanks Birdnest, pretty tough crowd here! I hope salmon farmers all over this coast and Washington State are reading your posts as they owe you a few beers!
I doubt I could sway any opinions here as I’m pretty much considered akin to sea lice and it seems most SFBC readers have their own opinions on salmon farming.

Just a thought though… proper, civilized debate requires respect for all involved and I personally do not believe swearing should be any part of that.

I earlier asked for a consideration on this from whomever moderates this site … now I wonder, were the responders to this question the moderators?

Just a thought though… proper, civilized debate requires respect for all involved and I personally do not believe swearing should be any part of that.

I earlier asked for a consideration on this from whomever moderates this site … now I wonder, were the responders to this question the moderators?

"Sometimes the high road on your high horse won't take you where you want to go"- Sculpin, 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought though… proper, civilized debate requires respect for all involved and I personally do not believe swearing should be any part of that. I earlier asked for a consideration on this from whomever moderates this site … now I wonder, were the responders to this question the moderators?

Dave: The Mainstream court action began because the defendant holds a strong opinion and he expressed it. Mainstream took offence then looked to the courts for support. Mainstream failed because although Mr. Staniford was not elegant or genteel, he holds a belief and opinions the Court ruled he is allowed to express.

Debate depends upon adherence to the topic. You attempted to subvert debate by taking (feigned) offence at a forum member for using the old fashioned Anglo-Saxon "F" word, for heavens sake. He does not agree with you, Dave. Neither do I. Now you challenge and discount the moderators because they did not jump in to support you, as you had hoped. Your case and point for taking humbrage was apparently dismissed - no harm done.

We started this discussion thread around a failed court action and that topic aroused a variety of expressions of passionate opinion. Let's continue with that. Do you have any more to say - on topic?

Hi Birdnest, I can see how you feel about salmon farming having worked for the oilsands for 30yrs. I will not sit quiet while falsehoods are implied about oilsands. After that we differ, I will not concede that oilsands and what they do is good for the environment. When I started nobody knew about oilsands now it is a different story. There are plants going up left and right the damage that one or two plants did went un-noticed but now it is evident. We can live with-out them but our society and the demands will not allow this to happen. Now we have to do damage control and in some cases a little too late. Roads are punching in everywhere, and places we used to hunt and fish are now going off limits. Forest cover is stripped and water tables altered forever. In favor of the Oilsands companies they are trying to mitigate some environmental issues but the changes are irrevocable which means we have to do damage control.
Progress will have it's way no matter how much it is vilefied and we leave our children to deal with the consequences. I have enjoyed the security the oilsands have provided me but I wish it could have been done some other way. We need to smarten up on how we use our resources and stop selling them of to the first bidders.
To me salmon farming is doing the same to the environment, taking but not replacing, and with salmon farms they are risking a lot more than just clean water. I ask you to think do you really want this to happen or are you willing to make some concessions.
Personally I have made some concessions but I am not willing to risk rivers, species and our valuable coastlines to sell oil to another country, I believe that the damage done cannot be fixed, but why make it worse to fill some other pockets with money.

OSLO, Oct 9 (Reuters) - Marine Harvest, the world's biggest Atlantic salmon producer, said core earnings fell about 86 percent in the third quarter but it harvested volumes slightly above its July guidance during the quarter.

Operational earnings before interest and taxes (EBIT) for the group declined to about 65 million Norwegian crowns ($11.39 million) in the July-September period from 457 million crowns a year ago, it said on Tuesday in a preliminary earnings update.

Total volumes was 93,000 tonnes of fish compared to its guidance for 90,000 tonnes.

"The results for the Chilean and Canadian activities were adversely impacted by the challenging market conditions during the quarter," it said.

Marine Harvest, controlled by shipping tycoon John Fredriksen, it due to report its full quarterly report on Oct. 26.

($1 = 5.7045 Norwegian crowns)

(Reporting by Victoria Klesty; Editing by Matt Driskill)

X3, i cant believe what i'm reading from those two......sad really. It kinda sums up the mentality of those involved in the industry.

Back