Maiden Voyage Weekend Away

K

kerryo12

Hi again,
I posted yesterday about going to Desolation Sound (from White Rock) - trailering to Lund and launching then spending a couple of days on our new Campion Explorer 622 (new to us that is!). I received numerous tips, which I very much appreciated! THEN, my coast guard buddy, said why don't you go to Nootka Sound instead. It is huge, and protected, and there are not the random whirly pools that you get enroute to Desolation.
My question is: If we want to feel safe, catch fish, catch crab, and have fun without an insane amount of driving or dollars, where should we go?
Any advice would be much appreciated. This is for the weekend of September 7th. Desolation sounds beautiful but I am not sure it is a 'good first trip'?
Thanks in advance
Kerry

Kerry
I was wondering why desolation in your other post.Another option would be Alberni Inlet/Barcley sound.From Nanaimo ferry it is alot closer than running up to Gold River and just as productive

If the main part of your trip is to be fishing I would take the advice of the islanders and visit either Nootka Sound or the Alberni inlet. However if this is a maiden voyage and I don't know how much boating experience you or your crew have I would lean towards Lund and Desolation.
The whirlpools are a long ways from the lower area of Desolation (up by Stuart Island)they are closer to the northern end. This time of year crabbing and prawning this area can be great, and having visited all three locations you will not match the scenery in either of the other 2 locations that you will in Desolation.
Savary Island is known as Hawaii of the Pacific Northwest and for good reason Water temp this past weekend was 74 degrees.
Also as SIR put in the last post Grants and the Iron Mines are doing quite well salmon fishing lately.

Do't really have any suggestions on locations but i spent quite a bit of time in nootka this year and it's pretty slow for some reason. I never saw any of the so called "5 year fish" that were supposed to show up. We always managed 4 a weekend out there but it was a hard faught 4. That being said the coho might be in by then who knows. But if you're just goin for the safety factor it's very protected, and the road there isn't that bad just have to go slow in places or u have the option of staying in gold River and running the 30k or whatever it is to the sound.

Good Luck

KYTU

Do't really have any suggestions on locations but i spent quite a bit of time in nootka this year and it's pretty slow for some reason. I never saw any of the so called "5 year fish" that were supposed to show up. We always managed 4 a weekend out there but it was a hard faught 4. That being said the coho might be in by then who knows. But if you're just goin for the safety factor it's very protected, and the road there isn't that bad just have to go slow in places or u have the option of staying in gold River and running the 30k or whatever it is to the sound.

Good Luck

KYTU

Back