Desolation Sound in September

K

kerryo12

Hi all,
We just bought a Campion Explorer 622 (200 HP Merc), live in White Rock and are thinking of heading to Desolation Sound for the September 7th weekend. We are sort of new at this and are wondering if we should trailer to Lund and launch there, or is there a better place to launch? Any opinions?
Also, what sort of fishing, shellfish catch could we expect at this time of year? Ideally, we would like to 'convoy' with someone, if anyone else is going??!!!

Where are you planning to stay? On the boat,on land camping or at a hotel or B&B? Lund can be quite crowded for parking. You might be better to launch in Powell River. This means an extra 1/2 hour run to Desolation. Savary Island is a great spot to drop your crab traps and the mouth of Okeover for prawns. Fishing can be hit and miss in Desolation at the time of year with the Rockfish conservation areas. Check your regs.
If you are planning on staying in lodging you could check out Sevilla Island Lodge in Lund and search posts by SIR on this site for more info.
Repost in another week and I will try to give you a fishing update.

Launch at Lund. I was at Savary in July and had no problem parking the van and trailer. Just have to park it up the road somewhere.I can't see it being that busy come Sept.7 Your nice and close to Desolation Sound from there.
I guess the other option would be take the Duke Point ferry and trailer up to Campbell River and launch somewhere there. Can't help you there. I've never launched out of C.R.
Prawning is usually good up there. Fishing, I can't help you with.S.I.R. on this site could help you.

The launch in Lund is paved, three lanes wide and easy to get to. You could launch in Okeover but it's a much ruffer launch site

Prawning is great as usuall, pretty much anywhere with 250-350' of water just look for other buoys. Head north out of lund harbour go around coyote cove point and you'll see buoys.

The crabbing around first and second points on Savary or around the gap between Savary and Hernando is good. Target 60-100' at this time of year.

Clamming on the beaches as Savary is good. Oysters in the Copelands are good.

For salmon fishing you can troll the mouth of the Bay that Lund sits in for the morning and evening shallow bits. We've been getting one or two each evening in a 30 minute window. For day fishing close to Lund try the Iron Mine wall just south of Lund, along 1st and 2nd points on Savary or the bite on the South end of Mace Point on Savary.

A little further afield are Grants Reef (fish the 120-160 contour on the Vancouver Island side of the reef) or Lewis Channel up by Cortes/West Redonda. Watch out for the RCA's around the Copelands, Desolation Sound and Teakerne Arm.

Try around the Twin Islands for Lings/Snapper.

On a good day you should be able to catch prawns, clams, oysters, crab, salmon, snapper and lings all in the same day.

If you are looking for a place to stay you can have a look at our website www.sevillaislandresort.ca

Good luck!

PS - Even if you don't stay with us feel free to drop by the Resort with your charts for some suggestions on spots to target. We're the big cedar place in Lund, you can't miss us.

Kerry
great info from SIR
Wanted to mention fog can be a problem in Sept.

Back