Maiden Voyage Do's and Don't's - Merc 200

K

kerryo12

I thought I would post and tell you all about our first voyage across Georgia Straight this past weekend. We bought a '99 Campion 622 Explorer Walkaround with a 200 Merc Optimax on the back. We then purchased a 9.9 kicker with controls that was a nightmare to install (and expensive!!) and of course a decent GPS - 5" screen. We had leaned toward the Lowrance GPS all along because of their great resolution, but when we were told they were made in the same factory as the Eagle - and the Eagle was 150 bucks less, we went with the Eagle.
We bombed out of Crescent Beach at around noon on Friday, dropped our brand new crab pot at the end of the markers, set a waypoint, and away we went. The seas were calm, with LV winds. We arrived in Montague Harbour at about 1 PM - a few zig zags before we got the hang of the GPS and I was driving - averaging about 25 mph!! ;)
We filled up there - that was probably our first mistake, as that cost 200 bucks and didn't even completely fill it. We should have filled it at a Mohawk while on the trailer, right?
Anyhow, we lunched in Montague, and headed North toward Porlier, not really realizing how long a voyage that was!! We made it through the whirly pools at the pass, and thought we should try out the new Scottie electric downrigger. We tried that for an hour or so. It was hot and gorgeous on the East side of the Island - far different from the West where it had been blowing! (but sunny)
At 4 pm we loaded up, battoned down and headed back to our crab pot, setting the direction on the GPS to that first waypoint. It was a VERY choppy crossing - it didn't say small craft warning, but I think it was. High tide was due at 5, if I remember right.
We hit our crab pot head on at about 5:30, and pulled it up, only to find that I had not 'un-bungied' the doors to the trap!! Doh!!
Anyhow, easy to launch, easy to load, able to handle fairly rough seas and go pretty fast....we are happy with our new boat!! We figure it probably cost 30-40 bucks for the day, which seems reasonable in that we were motoring for about 4 hours. Any other good experiences with the Merc Optimax 200??
Happy fishing....hoping that our next outing has a few less 'learning points'.

Kerry, I have the 215 explorer, same boat basically as they were renamed 622 in 1996 i beleive. I also have a 2003 200 opti and I love the engine, it just sips fuel at about 35 liters/hr at cruise 4000 rpm at 32 mph and throws the boat out of the water onto plane. What are you running for prop / pitch ?

How did you figure "30 to 40 bucks for the day"? By Marula's numbers it's 35/liters every hour and you said 4 hours of "motoring." That's about 140 liters of fuel?

I couldn't do that trip for the cost you claim (and my boat is much smaller with a 90hp motor), but I'm glad you ejoyed your new ride. [8D]

Well, I guess we will have to try those calculations again. The fuel guage 'could' be waaay off. After we filled it (almost filled it), it was on F, and barely came off F until we got home, 2 hours later. I will retest it though, filling it up, then motoring, then filling again. It doesn't 'seem' like it is using much fuel....but that could be just an illusion!! :)

Kerry, do you have a smartcraft gauge with your opti, mine is a basic one and it tells me among other things the litres used since last reset and the litres/hour being burned. The sending units in the fuel tanks are not very accurate but none the less you will be real pleased with the economy of that motor with that hull. Enjoy

Hey Kerry
Don't trust the guages, I can run 4-5 hrs on mine before it comes off the full mark but that is more like 2/5 of the fuel gone. I think you'll find that yours is similar.

Back