mabel lake chinook fishing

Teejay

does anyone know what is the best time to fish mabel lake for chinook salmon, I have a week off so what would be better in august or first week in september

more fish in September. Better quality in August. It's a "combat fishery" if you know what I mean. Tons of boats and plenty of tourists with wake boats that can't resist racing through the pack of fishing boats to see what they're up to.

So many my buddy keeps a rod rigged with heavy line and a large slip sinker he casts at them when they start performing.

Haven't fished for salmon there in years but I've seen more than a couple fist fights between locals and out of towners too. Usually those from the next province.

I fished it couple years ago in August and was lucky enough to pull a 16lb spring out of there, beautiful fish and fought well. The only problem I find is when the damn fisherie wont open because of water levels, but I understand why fisheries is doing that.

Thinking about heading up to Mable Saturday to catch the last day for Chinook. Any thoughts on Depths to find them and location. Do they run up the sides of the lake (sorta like they do along the shores of the ocean when heading to spawn) or will they be found through the center of the lake? I have done some trout fishing on Mable (10-15 years ago) but have never targeted Chinook there. I would be launching from the south end at the provincial park.

Last edited:
Thinking about heading up to Mable Saturday to catch the last day for Chinook. Any thoughts on Depths to find them and location. Do they run up the sides of the lake (sorta like they do along the shores of the ocean when heading to spawn) or will they be found through the center of the lake? I have done some trout fishing on Mable (10-15 years ago) but have never targeted Chinook there. I would be launching from the south end at the provincial park.

I was up there for 2 days last thursday 4:30am, friday and left saturday morning. I dont think you should waste your time personally... but its up to you. First off the fish just arent in there with enough numbers to make it even worth the drive, I fished 18 hrs on mabel and 5 hrs on little shu with only 4 hits and 1 small rainbow that is it! Saw 1 chinook landed at 5:30am among the **** show of boats all fishing in 40' of water. No boating etiquette, shallow contours that randomly come up on you 40 to 20' in no time then you end up bottom bouncing, we trolled north end near wap creek, and south end as well. Its a beautiful lake but the later you wait in the season for chinook the worse it is, I heard it was lights out the first 2 weeks guys limiting out in 20 mins.

Last edited:
more fish in September. Better quality in August. It's a "combat fishery" if you know what I mean. Tons of boats and plenty of tourists with wake boats that can't resist racing through the pack of fishing boats to see what they're up to.

So many my buddy keeps a rod rigged with heavy line and a large slip sinker he casts at them when they start performing.

Haven't fished for salmon there in years but I've seen more than a couple fist fights between locals and out of towners too. Usually those from the next province.
understandable when they are keying their cars ...

Back