Lumber Prices

Wow, lots of interesting insights and knowledge on here.
But who can tell me if current cost of $350 for cedar for some raised beds will be more or less come spring?
Could be 5/4 x 6 x 8' decking (20 pieces) or 2 x10 (10 pieces). I have to spend $50 in gas to get the latter unless I time it to a Adams River viewing day or flyfishing day.
STK and lower grade has dropped already but I don’t think clear will drop too far, particularly old growth clear.

Wow, lots of interesting insights and knowledge on here.
But who can tell me if current cost of $350 for cedar for some raised beds will be more or less come spring?
Could be 5/4 x 6 x 8' decking (20 pieces) or 2 x10 (10 pieces). I have to spend $50 in gas to get the latter unless I time it to a Adams River viewing day or flyfishing day.
Probably more. My experience on the island is that the mills can’t run at the same capacity in the winter as the late spring/summer so prices rise. Due to weather, staff shortages, Covid/sickness.

I could be wrong but that seems to be what has happened in the past. Lumber prices highest December/January. Lowest over the summer.

Try to find a local mill. Prices are better then a lumber yard/box store. Doesn’t need to be kiln dried. Might be able to get off cuts or lower grade.

Depending on your design stay maybe use 1” material. I did raised beds on the ground using 1x4 that Windsor had on sale. Works great. Just have stakes to support it.

Prices will stay low. There’s no way we can continue to build houses if they aren’t worth what we build them for when they’re done.

My house is 6 months old and for sale for less than you can buy the land and build it for.

Prices will stay low. There’s no way we can continue to build houses if they aren’t worth what we build them for when they’re done.

My house is 6 months old and for sale for less than you can buy the land and build it for.
Time to bring back the bc box. But it will be condo style

Time to bring back the bc box. But it will be condo style
Lots to like about a really simple shape like the BC Box. Less corners means less cost at every stage, all the way from foundation to interior trim. More thermally efficient too, lowers the surface area to volume ratio. And again, less corners usually leads to a tighter envelope.

On the negative side, entry door on a stair landing is far from optimal.

Lots to like about a really simple shape like the BC Box. Less corners means less cost at every stage, all the way from foundation to interior trim. More thermally efficient too, lowers the surface area to volume ratio. And again, less corners usually leads to a tighter envelope.

On the negative side, entry door on a stair landing is far from optimal.
They aren’t all stair entry. Mine has entry on grade and a big foyer. My buddy has basically the same floor plan but with the stair landing entry. I definitely prefer our layout. Gotta lose the green colour one day but it’s kinda growing on me haha

Attachments

• B3A8A88E-4C39-4347-808A-47A9B1E29110.jpeg
    B3A8A88E-4C39-4347-808A-47A9B1E29110.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 56
Back