Lowrance Nav12 GPS

C

chromechaser

Anybody use a Lowrance/Eagle Nav 12 handheld GPS unit and if so what do you think. I'm thinking about buying one off a guy on Craigslist, but Lowrance doesn't have them on their site so I'm thinking they might be old technology. BTW, he's asking $75. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Paul

I don't know this model, but I did some googling and didn't find any good info online. That means either it's more than a few years old or the model # or name is wrong. I assume it's an older GPS.

If it's older, see if it has a mapping function or if you just work with waypoints. Maps are way easier, what you see is where you are. Working with waypoints will get you home in the fog, but it requires more effort, and in my experience it is easy to get disoriented (stop the boat, look at the GPS, figure out where you are, figure out a heading, start up again).

If it is an older model, that only has waypoints, might not be a great deal, I think you can get them new for around $100. Better to spend the extra $50 and get one that shows maps.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

I agree 100% I would spend twice that and get one that has map options. The maps will cost you a bit more but its worth it!!

quote:Originally posted by tyee38

Would this be a Globalmap 12?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Legacy-Products/GlobalMap-12/

This is quite an old model. Perhaps it would be best to spend a bit more on an entry-level Garmin.

If it is that one, it has a map, so it's better than the first one I had. But it's not cheap enough to be a good deal IMO, given its age.

Get it cheap though, plug it in to your laptop, find a copy of Nobletec, and you've got yourself a cheap chart plotter! :)

Mine is the old style , not sure what exact model. It is the big black brick type, I've had it for 15 years,I have over 250 waypoints all over the west coast. It does not have the maps. But it is a good reliable back up to have on board. I think I paid $300 way back when,I did smash the screen on a hunting trip once, they wanted a flat rate of $100 to fix it. So I put in my own piece of plexi and the thing has never missed a beat.The technoligy is way outdated but the quality of the product is good.It runs on 4 AA's which seem to last forever or plug in to 12volt. I'am happy with it,I would like to get a new one but the thing just won't die.

Thanks for the input. It will head over to Steveston Marine on the adivce of someone on another thread. They have the Garmin GPSMap76 on for $179 which is probably a better unit and may be more reliable.

quote:Originally posted by chromechaser

Thanks for the input. It will head over to Steveston Marine on the adivce of someone on another thread. They have the Garmin GPSMap76 on for $179 which is probably a better unit and may be more reliable.

I got a GPSMap76CS on Ebay for $200ish earlier this year. Quite happy with it, works as a combo GPS and chartplotter -- although I will say the screen is a bit small for navigating while moving at speed. Still, work for 90% of what you need it for, and can easily move it from boat to boat.

If you do end up buying this unit, PM me for some info on the BlueChart maps.

Back