Fishing Williston , launching and navigation

TMan

Hi there. I'm planning on fishing Williston...probably next year. I think it would be a good adventure. I've seen a couple of YouTube videos that showed some decent fishing and great scenery. So that was enough for me! Hoping to make it happen!
How are the launches near MacKenzie? I'm thinking a fall trip. Also, my Navionics doesn't show any detail in the lake. I assume it's a "draw your own chart as you go deal up there"?
I don't own a jet boat and am just interested in motoring around in the lake, fishing and camping.

Any advice is appreciated!

Trevor

I've travelled that lake to access hunting spots before. It can and will blow up fast and huge. It can be a scary place to get caught out in the weather. Lots of deadheads floating to add some excitement. We launched up in Finley bay at a dirt launch. Its about 80 or so K from Mackenzie so I doubt you'll head that far if you're going fishing. I'd just suggest you caution as it really whips up quickly there. The Bull trout we caught were amazing and plentiful.

Someone once told me that early in the season before spring runoff started to flood the lake and float so much wood was safer.

I actually sold him a Pike Pole he said it was a standard piece of equipment needed for that place.

Good to know! I heard navigation can be tough and the wood is crazy. I figured it would be a good place to go for an adventure. Sounds like it is just that.

Good to know! I heard navigation can be tough and the wood is crazy. I figured it would be a good place to go for an adventure. Sounds like it is just that.
Where are you coming from? Have you looked at any other lakes in the region. Babine, Stuart, Francois and our favorite Ootsa.
All great. Can go up Ootsa into Whitesail , get on the railroad portage into north Tweedsmuir park into Eutsuk lake. 10 lb rainbows ..225 sq km probably 10 boats.. Excellent scenery..

Where are you coming from? Have you looked at any other lakes in the region. Babine, Stuart, Francois and our favorite Ootsa.
All great. Can go up Ootsa into Whitesail , get on the railroad portage into north Tweedsmuir park into Eutsuk lake. 10 lb rainbows ..225 sq km probably 10 boats.. Excellent scenery..
Sorry don't mean the wrong thing here, just how far are you travelling.

i've looked at that system only on maps and it looks totally wild. it must be incredible in there. looks utterly remote and high adventure territory. lots of fish?

Whoah. I clearly didn't get the memos that there were some more replies to my post Very sorry folks. Thank you all for getting back to me on this one!
That fish is a beauty Aqua Trance!
To answer the question, I'm coming out of the lower mainland. It's (the trip to Williston) just something I have stuck in my head.....like weekend trips in the winter to Bella Coola- which i did once!...But if I go to Williston it would be for longer. I would definitely like to see some wild country like Ootsa though too.
So much water, so little time....

Back