Lowrance autopilot reviews?

Well I finished the install of the pilot and remote. It seems to be operating properly when I use the power steer function, haven't taken it for a test drive yet. One thing I noticed was there is a lot of air left in the clear compensation line that I can't get out, I have bled the helm pump first till no bubbles came back up the fill tube connected to the hydraulic fluid bottle. I then bled the autopilot by using the power steer function with the fill tube connected to the helm still. After a while no more bubbles would come out, but there is still air in the clear hose. Is this ok or should there be nothing but fluid in that hose?
image.jpg
Pic is upside down can't fix it

You will have to bleed at the cylinder on the motor. Crack one side turn helm until it is hard over...close that bleeder and do the other side. May have to do a few times. Fastest way though is with a power bleeder that most shops now have.

Well I've had a chance to test out the autopilot and remote and couldn't be happier with it. Probably the best addition Ive made to my guide boat. Was able to put it to the test in some pretty rough seas and it held a pretty solid course. Into a head sea and quarter sea, it would get pushed off about 10 degrees but continue heading straight. I did have to up the output to 5 from 3 because of zig zagging too badly. Also the remote was a great add on too, being able to adjust course and turn the pilot on and off from the back of the boat was awesome. Only gripe i have is how loud the motor is, even with the stereo on you can hear the motor everytime it activates, and when in rough seas thats all the time. Anyone have any solutions for that? Was thinking about putting some insulation loosely around it but worried about it possibly overheating.

Well I've had a chance to test out the autopilot and remote and couldn't be happier with it. Probably the best addition Ive made to my guide boat. Was able to put it to the test in some pretty rough seas and it held a pretty solid course. Into a head sea and quarter sea, it would get pushed off about 10 degrees but continue heading straight. I did have to up the output to 5 from 3 because of zig zagging too badly. Also the remote was a great add on too, being able to adjust course and turn the pilot on and off from the back of the boat was awesome. Only gripe i have is how loud the motor is, even with the stereo on you can hear the motor everytime it activates, and when in rough seas thats all the time. Anyone have any solutions for that? Was thinking about putting some insulation loosely around it but worried about it possibly overheating.

I got to try mine out a bit and really like it when I'm trolling as it means I don't have to keep correcting my heading, just start on the heading I want and engage it. Didn't take long to realize you have to push the disengage button to turn around though, lol. I had pulled up the kicker the other night and was getting ready to fire up the big motor to head in and I could hear this faint little chirping noise. I looked back and could see the motors moving to try and correct the heading as I had forgotten to disengage the autopilot. I don't find it makes a lot of noise though and my pump is mounted in the open under the dash by the driver's seat. If its a new install it could just be a little noisier until any air has purged itself from the system ?

I should get mine installed it is still sitting in the garage. Too many things on the winter to do list. Maybe I can bribe UnReel with some beer ha. Can you run a standby switch for both stations? There is a standby button on the hds as well correct?

Yes you can run a standby switch to both steering stations. All you need is a "momentary switch" and some wire.

Works great.

I'd highly recommend the Bluetooth remote, makes it so much easier to engage and disengage from anywhere on the boat, plus you can change your course gradually or by 10 degrees with the remote. I haven't used the switch it came with once.

I just did the dockside commissioning of my autopilot last night and did a little testing, it went great. Will be taking it from Victoria to Pender on Friday/Saturday, so can really put it thought it's paces.

I'd highly recommend the Bluetooth remote, makes it so much easier to engage and disengage from anywhere on the boat, plus you can change your course gradually or by 10 degrees with the remote. I haven't used the switch it came with once.

With the Trollmaster 3plus and the Lowrance Bluetooth, do you have two remotes? Where do you guide out of, I might to hire you for a Lowrance piloting lesson!

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Yes I have 2 remotes, wish the trollmaster was smaller but i usually just leave it at the helm or around my neck.
Im in Nanaimo.

Back