Low Maintenance 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton Trucks

I replaced my 14 year old GMC 2500HD 8.1/Allison, which was a fantastic truck (if GM had kept the big block gasser in their lineup I would have bought another one) with a new 2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7 diesel and couldn't be happier with the truck. Powerfull, quiet and clean. Not a single issue or problem. Cheaper fuel and better mileage empty or towing is always nice. Diesel or gas - whatever works for you is the right way to go. Happy trails.

I don't disagree with the logic of buying the gasser vs the diesel. It's simply a matter of accepting that you can't tow your boat/trailer/whatever at 140km/h up the Coquihalla!

I drove a 2014 Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L gasser for about 15,000kms (before changing jobs). Light boat towing and general use. The throttle mapping and transmission mapping were AWFUL! So detuned in the lower RPM ranges and the transmission was in the highest possible gear at any time....it was really terrible. The truck was a basic spec but otherwise a good truck. If I were to own one myself I'd have to get it tuned to help the throttle response. It was shockingly bad

Yep i have experienced the same. it is definitely better in the tow mode, but fly by wire in general is annoying that way, the computer likes to pretend it's a tree hugger.

I bough a 6.0L ford last year knowing that it would need a bunch of work in the future, Sure enough it needed all the work done after we punched a hole in the radiator while hunting. It was expensive but I had the head gaskets replaced, brand new cylinder heads, installed studs, replaced all turbo pipes with aluminium, rebuilt the turbo, new oil cooler, new radiator and had the EGR system disabled.

I can't be happier with it now it tows the boat like its not even there, we took it hunting to Williams lake this spring went from Hope to Williams lake on 65L of Diesel.

Buy them with the expectation that you need to get the work done and have a quality shop do the work and in my opinion you can take the gremlins out of the 6.0L

It was expensive but I had the head gaskets replaced, brand new cylinder heads, installed studs, replaced all turbo pipes with aluminium, rebuilt the turbo, new oil cooler, new radiator and had the EGR system disabled.

Buy them with the expectation that you need to get the work done and have a quality shop do the work and in my opinion you can take the gremlins out of the 6.0L

Thanks! What was the bill on it? I was chatting with a guy with a Powerstroke 6.0 that had the turbo done but nothing else yet.

Originally the quote for the work was 10K but since I needed to replace the heads it went up to 15K (Head Replacement need as the previous owner messed up the head gasket surface. I knew about the work needed when I made the offer on the truck so I got it really cheep. There was also an oil leak in the top end when I bought it so I talked it down another few grand. Turned out the Oil leak was from a pinched o-ring on the oil filler spout and it cost $1.69 to fix. I recommend looking for the later model 6.0L with around 150 to 180K. Low ball offer down to 10K on the price and have the work done right away. I personally would buy another one down the road, when I check out the 3500 diesels from Chevy and GMC and Dodge on Craigslist most are asking over 20K for a trucks pushing 300,000Km.

I have a 2002 F350 with a 7.3 in it. What an awesome truck, I’ve had it for 10 years. Has only 155k on it.

It’s more truck than I need and runs like a champ but every time I think to scale back a bit, I can’t find anything that I like. So... I just keep on truckin’ on. But it’s getting old..... :-(

I recomend that if your looking to haul a camper to shop for a gas 1 ton pick up. Dually is even better to maximize your payload.

I have a 2011 GMC 3500 6.0L crew cab long box. it is rated for 3187 lbs of camper max. Not that impressive really. i had a 9'6 citation camper for it and i was always on the edge of being over loaded.

something to watch for.

I recomend that if your looking to haul a camper to shop for a gas 1 ton pick up. Dually is even better to maximize your payload.

I have a 2011 GMC 3500 6.0L crew cab long box. it is rated for 3187 lbs of camper max. Not that impressive really. i had a 9'6 citation camper for it and i was always on the edge of being over loaded.

something to watch for.
Agreed, if you are going for a camper with a slide, dually is the minimum. Try and load the boat and keep the camper more or less empty. Your GMC is a good rating for a camper, considering I believe GM keeps 1000lbs in reserve for passengers.

Agreed, if you are going for a camper with a slide, dually is the minimum. Try and load the boat and keep the camper more or less empty. Your GMC is a good rating for a camper, considering I believe GM keeps 1000lbs in reserve for passengers.
Also as for reliability my truck I have owned since 2011 and it has been decent. Only has 80,000 Kms but all of it has been towing a boat or trailer or hauling a camper.

Only issue I have had is broken exhaust manifold bolts And that caused an annoying exhaust leak.

Also as for reliability my truck I have owned since 2011 and it has been decent. Only has 80,000 Kms but all of it has been towing a boat or trailer or hauling a camper.

Only issue I have had is broken exhaust manifold bolts And that caused an annoying exhaust leak.
Pretty low maintenance being a gaser. I wanted to buy one but could only find a lifted one. I'm keeping my eye open for one with a camper package.

I owned a 2003 GMC with a 6.0 and had issues with exhaust bolts too. I had them replaced under warranty and they broke again. Mine both broke on the DS back. So I used a kit from KRAL auto parts to fix it. It worked great for $40. Check it out. No need to mess with broken bolts in an aluminum head.

Pretty low maintenance being a gaser. I wanted to buy one but could only find a lifted one. I'm keeping my eye open for one with a camper package.
F500F711-F26C-4EE1-BCC8-5720A6236EDB.jpegE1A68E8D-DE10-4CE4-96B6-CCE285A302F7.jpeg
My last 2 trucks have been gassers. My 2003 2500HD did a great job after numerous upgrades, but was overloaded. So I bought the dually. Got it for $8k in 2015. Nobody wanted the gas engine. Big difference in stability. The dually is a 8.1 with Allison trans. I love this truck. So much torque. It also tows my 13k boat, like a champ. But only gets 7-8 mpg.

View attachment 88195View attachment 88197
My last 2 trucks have been gassers. My 2003 2500HD did a great job after numerous upgrades, but was overloaded. So I bought the dually. Got it for $8k in 2015. Nobody wanted the gas engine. Big difference in stability. The dually is a 8.1 with Allison trans. I love this truck. So much torque. It also tows my 13k boat, like a champ. But only gets 7-8 mpg.
Nice, what year is she? If I could find one nicely equipped that hasn't been beat on I would switch in a heart beat.

Nice, what year is she? If I could find one nicely equipped that hasn't been beat on I would switch in a heart beat.
It’s a 2001 with 250k, so far. One downfall of this era of truck is the hard brake lines. I replaced them with a stainless steel kit, when I did a total system rebuild. New front end, tires, couple sensors, and general maintenance. All repairs done in my driveway. Otherwise it’s been a great truck.
I had to look at a couple, before I found this one. Both were in Washington state. Everyone bought the Duramax back in the day. But the hp and torque from the 8.1 are very close to the diesel. I can put a long block in this truck, for the price of and injection pump or injector repair, on a diesel.

It’s a 2001 with 250k, so far. One downfall of this era of truck is the hard brake lines. I replaced them with a stainless steel kit, when I did a total system rebuild. New front end, tires, couple sensors, and general maintenance. All repairs done in my driveway. Otherwise it’s been a great truck.
I had to look at a couple, before I found this one. Both were in Washington state. Everyone bought the Duramax back in the day. But the hp and torque from the 8.1 are very close to the diesel. I can put a long block in this truck, for the price of and injection pump or injector repair, on a diesel.
Yeah, truck market, although not as insane as last year seems pretty steep look at this 2 wheel drive https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/cto/d/surrey-1991-chevrolet-silverado-3500/7575421623.html
and this one is a classic work truck, nice but lots of dents and rebuilt tran already.

Back