Lookout Lake

falcon1

While trout fishing a week ago, something nibbled my bait that felt way different than a trout or a perch. I was thinking that if there were bullhead in the lake, that this might be one. I then heard that there was indeed bullhead in lookout lake, up to around 2 lbs. How long have they been there and are there many?

I fish Lookout for 15 years and there is no bullheads. What was the bite like? They stock the lake with brood stocks and they grow into the 5 pound range have caught over a dozen in the 3-4 range in there also!

Lots of sunfish/pumpkin seed in there aswell!

Cheers, KK

The first time I fished there was April(?)...
Caught 1 sm bass, 1 Rainbow, 9 pumpkinseeds and 1 brown bullhead(catfish).
The brown bh was at the end opposite of the "beach", was using live worms.
I did not measure or weight it but it was slightly longer than a foot(12").
Was a good fight.

Edit: was July 23, I posted about it(no pics) on my facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try leaving a live worm on a hook on the bottom.(very snaggy though !)
I think I lucked out and plunked it right in front of it's face as this was in the late morning - early afternoon and they are largely nocturnal.

Edit: Almost any dead meat on a hook should work too !

Last edited by a moderator:
And then it happened..

[_Tc6ywqoL6o] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tc6ywqoL6o

:D

The bite was like something big was toying with my worm. Nibbling on it, but not taking it. Definitely not a school of sunfish or a trout or perch. Absolutely no way possible it was a bass. I struck, and the fish let go. The worm was slightly mangled, butstill usable. I cast back, missing the (as I was soon to find out) sweet spot by a couple feet. After a couple minutes, I did a baitcheck. My prime suspect was sunfish and they can steal a worm better than any other fish. It was a hot day and the fish weren't active so missing by a couple feet meant the difference between strikes and no strikes. I cast back and hit the sweet spot. Instant tug. Then a series of smaller ones. I stuck again. This contined for 10 minutes until I had to leave.

Sound like a bullhead?

Back