Looking for used ipad

Klob

Decided to run Navionics through an Ipad instead of upgrading my chartplotter. Needs to be 3g or 4g from what I've read and need a 32 or 64 gig hard drive.

With navionics app you pick the maps you want to download so you can get away with a normal ipad(non 3G,4g) and buy an aftermarket GPS reciever that will perform 100x better then the built in assisted GPS junk that comes on them, they connect via Bluetooth. Do a quick google search and you'll see what I mean. Of course the 3G,4g will open up many other doors in terms of Internet access on the fly, but depending on your needs u might want to look into the add on GPS unit and a basic ipad. Just an FYI.

You only need a 16 gig I got tons of room on mine still just been using 3G no after market receiver but now I'm interested

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/dual-xgps150A-bluetooth-gps-receiver.html

This is the one that I am considering, I have read alot of reviews on it and it looks good, you can even youtube a few videos of it in action as well, the GPS accuracy and response is much better then the built in unit in the ipad, as I understand the ipad reciever works without cellphone signal but is designed to work with cell phone signal using the cell towers to assist with location accuracy. In a situation like boating I am sure there are many cases where you will not be in range of any cell signal in which case your accuracy and response time will be the craps.

I never had any issues with my response time and compared my speed while cruising with a top of the line gps,was the exact same speed.have you even tried it before or are you just saying that because you didn't spring for a 3G model.i could imagine you might want 1 when using it in a airplane because of speed

I use mine on my iPhone4 but I almost always have 3G signal, I dont have a big enough boat to get out of range, lol and yes fishtank, I am only basing it on what I have read about in the reviews and such so it could be biased opinions.

I have an iPad 1, 64gb wifi&cell, screen cover and case on at all times, battery still good..... Pm me if interested ?

Decided to run Navionics through an Ipad instead of upgrading my chartplotter. Needs to be 3g or 4g from what I've read and need a 32 or 64 gig hard drive.

get a android product like Nexus 7. easier to use , built in gps . around $200 bucks. I run one all day on navionics with out battery issues. don't waste your money on a used one. IMHO

beemer

hey Jaymasta , if you download the chart from navionics you do not need to use your data or wireless the iphone 4 has a built in gps.

beemer

Hey Brian,

Excuse my lack of computer savvy, but do you need a data plan to run the Nexus 7 ?
If you want to use it as a GPS, can you simply download Navionics and run it ?

Thanks

Hey Brian,

Excuse my lack of computer savvy, but do you need a data plan to run the Nexus 7 ?
If you want to use it as a GPS, can you simply download Navionics and run it ?

Thanks

I don't think you need a data package for either. As long as it has a GPS chip you are good to go.

Beemer, I will look into the Nexus, thanks.

I don't think you need a data package for either. As long as it has a GPS chip you are good to go.

Beemer, I will look into the Nexus, thanks.

Hey Scott , you don't need any data , just download navionics and download the local charts and you are good to go. Give me a call if you want to check out mine before you purchase. 250-896-3783

beemer

I have an ipad 2 16gb with the latest Navionics app, It doenst have internal GPS chip so i bought a Dual XGPS150 bluetooth GPS reciever, works awsome and if you look at the specs of the gps reciever its a better GPS reciever than what comes in the IPAD 3G models.

Problem solved, just found out I have enough points from Home Hardwares rerwards program to get a ipad mini with wifi and cell. Stay tuned.

The older Samsung galaxy7 has a built in gps, not sure about the newer ones. Make sure u check on this to be sure it will work without wifi.
Stosh

Back