Looking for some fishing advice-Campbell River Area

bugleemup

I am new to Campbell River and love to fish with my wife and kids. Can anyone help me out and give me some pointers on how to catch salmon? I have been out a bunch of times with no luck while watching others catching around me. My 11 year old daughter is getting very discouraged and on WCVI we slay them.

What gear?
How deep?
Setup? Dummy flashers???

Thanks

Flasher and hoochie is a very productive choice in that area.

32-38" leader of 40lb test. Most locations you will be fishing deep so use a flasher with glow.

I would use a green glow flasher with a splatter back hoochie (Yamashita OG140R)

Fish that with confidence and I guarantee you'll see results. Anywhere on the coast.

I know it's not what you were after but congrats on the ling - best eats in our waters in my humble opinion, so not a bad consolation while you continue to figure out the salmon game. Have you been into the local tackle stores? They're in the business to help you catch fish because, as the tackle addicts thread can attest, once you start catching and get hooked you'll be spending a good chunk of change annually at their businesses!! Good luck, keep at her, season's just getting going your luck will change.

Ukee

Did you see all those boats over at the south end of Quadra yesterday? They were fishing an area known locally as "the hump". It an area where the seabed rises to about160'. You can find it on a chart, but a plotter will put you on it. Right now there are a lot of undersize in the area, but a few nice ones as well. The currents are strong there and you need 15lb cannonballs to get down deep if trolling. Start by using just one rigger, so that you can see the amount of blowback you get out there, try to go with the current, if it gets too much head further south, as it is normally not so great there. If the tide is flooding ( flowing south) and a wind picks up from the south, get off the water or head for more protected waters as the whitecaps form very quickly. Go see Dan at River Sportsman or Roger at Tyee Marine, they should be able to set you up. There is actually a hootchie named after a previous owner of Tyee Marine (Jack Smith) that works very well out there. Good Luck, the fishing here is good but nothing like the West Coast,

There's another hoochy they use up there a lot called a "Disco" too...

The "Jack Smith" special they use lots ......

There used to be a CR guide named "TyeeFisher" that posted here all the time.....if you pm him maybe he can set you straight.....he's guided there for 42 years...

Back