Looking for inflatable PFD recommendations

N2013

Gonna scoop a couple new PFD's from Harbour Chandler as they're on sale. Any recommendations on styles of mustangs?

Just bit the bullet and bought a couple Mustang Inflatable Elite 28 PFD. Comfort has always been the reason why I don't usually wear mine as much as I should, so I bought a couple of the most comfortable ones. $100 off.

I saw the sale as well and was wondering about this one. Anyone have this one? Thoughts on it.

'MUSTANG KHIMERA(TM) 21 HYBRID​

I saw the sale as well and was wondering about this one. Anyone have this one? Thoughts on it.

'MUSTANG KHIMERA(TM) 21 HYBRID​

Found this thread after posting for recommendations 😖. Seems like a good PFD.

You know safety gear is good when people find it so comfortable and easy to wear that they forget theyre wearing it. On more than one occasion I've found myself in my driveway putting the boat away after a lake day, still wearing my inflatable.

You know safety gear is good when people find it so comfortable and easy to wear that they forget theyre wearing it. On more than one occasion I've found myself in my driveway putting the boat away after a lake day, still wearing my inflatable.
absolutely true re comfort. I bought two of the self inflatining ones last year. If you bonk your head going over it is nice to know the jacket will do its thing regardless

Now about wearing the inflatable home in the car ......... has happened to no one's wife ever.

absolutely true re comfort. I bought two of the self inflatining ones last year. If you bonk your head going over it is nice to know the jacket will do its thing regardless

Now about wearing the inflatable home in the car ......... has happened to no one's wife ever.
100% don’t cheap out and get the manual self inflating.

It requires you to be conscious when you hit the water, and be comfortable enough in the water to set it up (so it wouldn't be for non-swimmers), but I have the Mustang belt style. I have always hated wearing PFDs, even more in the summer. I feel like any risk of it needing you to be conscious when it inflates is made up for by the fact that I always wear it from when I step in the boat, sometimes till after I get out of the vehicle at home, as it is so unobtrusive. Its a compromise with ultimate safety but at least I wear it.

Try on the khimera before buying. I bought one at the boat show and it's not the most comfortable with my big gut and rides up on me.

Anyone every had an automatic inflatable go off in heavy rain? The guy at Steveston Marine sold me on manual inflatables for that reason lol. I wish I got automatics but oh well. Just don't knock myself out.

Anyone every had an automatic inflatable go off in heavy rain? The guy at Steveston Marine sold me on manual inflatables for that reason lol. I wish I got automatics but oh well. Just don't knock myself out.
Hydrostatic PFD's will not inflate from getting wet. They need to actually be submerged to inflate.

The Hydrostatic operation means they respond to water pressure, not just water. The membrane needs a few inches of pressure to trigger inflation. Only reason I’ve had or heard of any inflatables going off unintentionally is when the handle gets hooked on something when you’re moving. Which can happen with any inflatable model.

Remember the PFD vs Lifejacket classification if you are shopping. Khimera (and some other models) for example will not keep you face up if unconscious. At least they can recover the body, but know what you are buying.

I use the mustang survival MIT 100 automatic. I wear it every trip, all the time, and I require my passengers to also. Never had a false inflation due to splash or rain in the 3 years I've used them. Not to say it couldn't happen. I guess I'd just re-arm.

I also mistakenly bought a couple MIT 70, which I regret.

Just bit the bullet and bought a couple Mustang Inflatable Elite 28 PFD. Comfort has always been the reason why I don't usually wear mine as much as I should, so I bought a couple of the most comfortable ones. $100 off.
My wife and I both wear Mustang Elite's and love them AND wear them at all times on the boat. They are comfortable and really unobtrusive when on. We really like how the wider back band makes it more like a garment rather than just something hanging around your neck. You will really like them. Easy to test and rearm as well. We also have a pair of MIT's on the boat for guests, as wearing approved flotation on our boat is required, but, while dependable and more than serviceable, we like the fit of the Elites much better. jc Tuna Maru

My wife and I both wear Mustang Elite's and love them AND wear them at all times on the boat. They are comfortable and really unobtrusive when on. We really like how the wider back band makes it more like a garment rather than just something hanging around your neck. You will really like them. Easy to test and rearm as well. We also have a pair of MIT's on the boat for guests, as wearing approved flotation on our boat is required, but, while dependable and more than serviceable, we like the fit of the Elites much better. jc Tuna Maru
Mine arrived to today. They look and feel pretty good.

Back