Lone Swede looking for affordable fishing trip/guide

MrSwede

I'm a 28 year old Swedish guy, recently arrived on Vancouver Island (Cowichan-area) for work (I'm an engineer). I've been scouting the internet for an affordable solution for me to go out on a days boat ride for some fishing, unfortunately it's rather expensive for a lone guy to do such a thing. I'm looking for salmon and maybe halibut, and if it's possible tuna.

Are there cheaper solutions? Any tips would be appreciated.

//Pelle

There is nothing cheap about going Tuna fishing, might as well scratch that off your wish list
Let's be honest, there's nothing cheap about boats period.

There's some good guides running salmon trips up the east side of Van Isl for around $80 an hour. Once you gain some understanding of all the costs involved, it's pretty reasonable.

Grab on of the guys you work with and split the bill. $400 each for a day on the pond is pretty reasonable.

No kidding, before I can even turn a key.....

Moorage = $3200
Insurance = $2,200
Basic Maintenance = $3,000
Tackle = $3,000 (that's an under estimate - my bait bill alone was over $700)
Capital Cost Depreciation = $12,000/yr
Fuel....who knows given where prices are going.

Yup, those are the hard realities. Many people try kidding themselves until its time to replace engines at $25K each. I suppose I could cut costs and run cheap tackle, but that's not the experience/market I'm in. People want a quality experience given most only get out fishing once a season.

So there's nothing cheap about owning a vessel and fishing. But the experience and fun outweighs the cost in IMO.

Last edited:
No kidding, before I can even turn a key.....

Moorage = $3200
Insurance = $2,200
Basic Maintenance = $3,000
Tackle = $3,000 (that's an under estimate - my bait bill alone was over $700)
Capital Cost Depreciation = $12,000/yr
Fuel....who knows given where prices are going.

Yup, those are the hard realities. Many people try kidding themselves until its time to replace engines at $25K each. I suppose I could cut costs and run cheap tackle, but that's not the experience/market I'm in. People want a quality experience given most only get out fishing once a season.

So there's nothing cheap about owning a vessel and fishing. But the experience and fund outweighs the cost in IMO.
Yep, and with the realities of our current travel restrictions it looks like I'll be lucky to get 55 shifts this season. Just canceled another pair in early June (out of province). Less days to spread the fixed costs across.

Great post on the breakdown in cost! I'm just a private boat owner and even with the great deal I have on moorage and lower operating cost of my single Yamaha 90VMAX the saying "fishing - the most expensive 'free' dinner you'll ever catch" applies. Its like I tell people all the time "if I just wanted fish... its cheaper to buy it at the supermarket". I explain to people that crabbing can be cost effective but salmon fishing is NO WAY an economical method of getting fish..... but it sure is FUN! ;)

What gets me is "can you match" the price walmart charters is offering??? NO I cant do you want a hotel 6 or with a porta potty no heat and no comfort or a higher end with stand up head head and room to walk?? YES we are in the tourism industry, but just like a Vehicle shop that you pay 125 an hour for we have overhead too , Most wont even bat and eye spending 200 PLUS bucks on a oil change and tire rotation that guy take less then an hour for....imo

Some outfits might pair-up anglers. Murphy's Sportfishing did pre-COVID, but they only offer multi-day lodge trips. Nearest option for a single angler are the larger boats out of Westport WA. Neah Bay WA has them too but are closed due to COVID.

Some outfits might pair-up anglers. Murphy's Sportfishing did pre-COVID, but they only offer multi-day lodge trips. Nearest option for a single angler are the larger boats out of Westport WA. Neah Bay WA has them too but are closed due to COVID.
There is a guide in Campbell River who - preCovid- was taking clients on a “per seat” basis. I have forgotten his boat name but I’m pretty sure that Tyee Marine or River Spotrsman would be aware of this guide.

Back