Livewell pump (saltwater) is illegal in BC?

Down here, law enforcement would consider a fish in your bait tank as retained at that point.

How do y’all keep live bait on a barbless hook?
We fish light leader and tiny trebles ( size of your thumbnail ) . One point of the lead hook though the nostril , and one pinned behind the dorsal. Never had trouble with bait coming off , on the right tides and right season I’ve had it where I’ve been picked up non stop three hours free spooling down to my preferred depth . If you do make it to depth generally bites are a small tap followed by slack line ( fish swimming upwards ) , followed by reeling like a mad man until your rod buckles . Most fun you can have salmon fishing .

No sarcasm. You can search the general regs, the pacific regs and the sport fishery regs from here : https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/act-reg-eng.html
Thanks. I can't find anything about keeping fish alive and what one may, or may not use as live bait. I was sure there was but perhaps that's in Provincial, non tidal regulations, where it makes sense. We don't need the bucket brigade dumping goldfish in lakes, pike in salmon streams, spread of disease, etc.

I have scoured the regs and found nothing pertaining to the use of live wells.

I have scoured the regs and found nothing pertaining to the use of live wells.
There is nothing specific to "livewells" in the Legislation. For practical purposes, there is a decided difference between a bait tank and a livewell. There are regulations that pertain to the movement of live fish. These are both under federal and Provincial legislation.
The Fisheries Act and regulations contain a definition of "baitfish". Basically, If it isnt defined as baitfish, it shouldnt be used as bait. In Freshwater, the Provincial Wildlife Act further defines what can or cant be used as bait and in which water bodies.

The Fisheries Act and regulations contain a definition of "baitfish". Basically, If it isnt defined as baitfish, it shouldnt be used as bait.
Can't find it when I searched "baitfish" nor when I browsed? How can your average layman be expected to follow obscure regulations?

There is nothing specific to "livewells" in the Legislation. For practical purposes, there is a decided difference between a bait tank and a livewell. There are regulations that pertain to the movement of live fish. These are both under federal and Provincial legislation.
The Fisheries Act and regulations contain a definition of "baitfish". Basically, If it isnt defined as baitfish, it shouldnt be used as bait. In Freshwater, the Provincial Wildlife Act further defines what can or cant be used as bait and in which water bodies.
Agree. This is a question of utilization, not design.

We fish light leader and tiny trebles ( size of your thumbnail ) . One point of the lead hook though the nostril , and one pinned behind the dorsal. Never had trouble with bait coming off , on the right tides and right season I’ve had it where I’ve been picked up non stop three hours free spooling down to my preferred depth . If you do make it to depth generally bites are a small tap followed by slack line ( fish swimming upwards ) , followed by reeling like a mad man until your rod buckles . Most fun you can have salmon fishing .
Do you run a slider and weight ahead of the bait in a this scenario or any more details on rigging?

we keep it pretty classic. On anchor we’re able to fish 1- 4 oz banana weights tied into the same leader setups i describe , all tide dependant . The chinook tend to hit from below so it really doesn’t make a difference . Most bites you get a slack line bite .

we keep it pretty classic. On anchor we’re able to fish 1- 4 oz banana weights tied into the same leader setups i describe , all tide dependant . The chinook tend to hit from below so it really doesn’t make a difference . Most bites you get a slack line bite .

Right, thinking about it now a slider may actually be counter productive to a tied in mooching weight. Actively fishing a rod, detecting a bit and setting the hook is soo much more fun. Thanks!

We ran sliders. You can use a longer leader as you "pin" the weight as far away as you want. I like the plastic slider sleeves as you can clip on what ever sized weight you want. Use a short piece a surgical tube and a golf tee tas a stopper for the weight.

This is the way I grew up fishing, Salmon Rock to Roberts Creek. I remember Saturday mornings when there were 50 boats anchored off Gower Point, barely a troller to be seen. Back then, the Hyack gas barge in Gibsons would open early on the weekends; that was where we’d buy our herring. If fishing had been slow the week before, we’d buy a dozen livies. If reports had been good, we’d buy a dozen and a half - living large! We’d also buy a large KitKat to share (my dad’s favourite). To this day, when I have a KitKat, it takes me right back to those mornings on anchor. There’s nothing better than the peace and quiet and watching the rhythm of your rod tip, and any slight change in it. So many great memories!

This is the way I grew up fishing, Salmon Rock to Roberts Creek. I remember Saturday mornings when there were 50 boats anchored off Gower Point, barely a troller to be seen. Back then, the Hyack gas barge in Gibsons would open early on the weekends; that was where we’d buy our herring. If fishing had been slow the week before, we’d buy a dozen livies. If reports had been good, we’d buy a dozen and a half - living large! We’d also buy a large KitKat to share (my dad’s favourite). To this day, when I have a KitKat, it takes me right back to those mornings on anchor. There’s nothing better than the peace and quiet and watching the rhythm of your rod tip, and any slight change in it. So many great memories!
I totally hikacked this thread, ha. Love this post Dorman Point, sounds like an amazing memory and the tranquility that I’m craving currently!

I use mine for bleeding salmon also keeping prawns and crabs alive till we get back to the dock. It’s pretty handy.
Always used mine for keeping prawns and crabs alive. I agree with you: very handy!

Back