Lingcod Opening

I disagree with this opening. The WHOLE of Georgia Strait has 5000 lings over 65 cm to spare? THIS IS BS. I don't believe this to be a sustainable number.

I know of a boat load of people who regularly run from Vancouver to the Gulf Islands to RAPE the ocean of rockfish. There are normally 5 or six anglers who head over in their 19 foot boat with the BIGGEST cooler in the bow of the boat.

I played dumb once and they opened the cooler for me and I can assure you that is it was CHOCK full of all species of fish. In fact, I would suggest that if it swims in Georgia Strait, it was dead in the box. We're not talking dogfish either.

On the average, these people run over 2 to 3 times a month. They no longer let me see inside their cooler and see fit to ignore me after I asked why they are killing so many.

After going down to the fish docks at Steveston, I can see why..the incidental catch of many of the commercial guys is UP for grabs by EVERYONE.

How will DFO monitor this? Do they have every launch and dock staked out? I doubt it. Creel Surveys are only done at random too.

In my opinion, 5000 is not a sustainable number and it should remain closed. Personally, after having dragged along some of the famous ledges for groundfish while fishing for salmon...NONE have been caught.

In my opinion, this is a WRONG decision. Also, from my knowledge of fishing for groundfish in the Charlottes as a guide, relatively speaking, there should be commercial closures and RCA's within a 10 mile radius of fishing lodges up there. Sad! And this is the Charlottes!

this is a sad day that REEKS of DFO incompetence.

Do you think that someone isn't just going to lose their license or "forget" to record a ling on their license or start recording when they see a DFO boat coming their way? What a joke.

Well you know the laws are made for the majority of law abiding people, and of course there are those that don't abide..and I am sure they would be poaching whether there is a ling cod opening or not.

I for one must agree with fishin magician. I spend alot of time in area 13 fishing and just traveling around. The amount of ling cod that see caught by accident or hear of are very few. The majority of the ones caught are the smaller males. So why are we targeting the larger females which there seems to be fewer of. Secondly why are we allowing this highly abused fish to be beaten into extinction. The DFO and ther infinite wisdom mmmmmmmmmmm. Ling cod 0 man the big loser.

Up north towards nanaimo there still seems to be alot of lingcod present but i agree with people questioning the opening. They are pretty easy to catch so im sure most people will have an easy time catching limits.

Hey Fishin Magician: I hope you will pardon me for reminding you that someone like yourself who seems to be on top of various fisheries has an obligation to Observe, Record and Report. If you are aware of poachers regularly loading up, it seems to me you should be reporting it. No offence intended. eman

I have! Guess what? Nothing happens!

Lots of lingcod? by what standard? I'd like to turn back the clocks 30, 40, 50 years ago..THEN you'll see LOTS of lingcod.

Lots of lingcod is when you put fish deep and Lingcod incidentally get caught all the time while fishing for salmon..now THATS lots of lingcod...Let's make the limit 4 per day on LINGS alone..now THATS lots of lingcod.

For there to be LOTS there has to be MORE than 5000 that can be taken.

Well I think this is fantastic and high time it came about too!
The lingcod closure should have never taken place in the first place. I have it on good athourity that it was misinterpreted data that closed the fishery in the first place and DFO just wanted to save face so they kept it closed. Good for the lingcod stocks but I'll tell you there are lots of lingcod out there and its about time we get a chance to keep some!
As for people loading up there coolers, all you can do is report it and the rest is up to DFO. There will always be poachers and eventually some may be caught but that doesn't mean the rest of us law abiding folks should suffer the consequences!

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

I have! Guess what? Nothing happens!

Lots of lingcod? by what standard? I'd like to turn back the clocks 30, 40, 50 years ago..THEN you'll see LOTS of lingcod.

Lots of lingcod is when you put fish deep and Lingcod incidentally get caught all the time while fishing for salmon..now THATS lots of lingcod...Let's make the limit 4 per day on LINGS alone..now THATS lots of lingcod.

For there to be LOTS there has to be MORE than 5000 that can be taken.
I said in this area not the straight first of all and that is what basically happens here when you fish deep for chinooks. I catch more lingcod here fishing for salmon than i do with actual salmon ushually.

quote:The WHOLE of Georgia Strait has 5000 lings over 65 cm to spare? THIS IS BS. I don't believe this to be a sustainable number.

Lucy, splain. [?]

I agree with the F.M. man , 30 years ago the fishing was good, then the uncontrolled commercial fishing smashed them down, I thought we had started in the right direction by the moratorium on fishing ling cod and was hoping it would remain in place for a while longer to adequately build up the stocks, obviously lobby pressure has been brought to bear and lo and behold here we go again!
Very sad , man never learns from his past mistakes.

AL

I agree with the F.M. man , 30 years ago the fishing was good, then the uncontrolled commercial fishing smashed them down, I thought we had started in the right direction by the moratorium on fishing ling cod and was hoping it would remain in place for a while longer to adequately build up the stocks, obviously lobby pressure has been brought to bear and lo and behold here we go again!
Very sad , man never learns from his past mistakes.

AL

This seems to indicate there will be no Rockfish kept after Sept 30th. I think consevation is still being observed here. They have also reserved the right to cancel the opening if the Ling cod are being targeted too heavily. Is a limit of 1 Ling really going to change everyone's fishing habits in the straight and we're all going out jiggin now?

Last year certain people on this site (or was it a different site LOL) were complaining that the DFO were idiots because they paid for a study on Ling cod sustainability and then ignored the study that determind that a minimal Ling cod fishery was sustainable. All things in moderation......

This seems to indicate there will be no Rockfish kept after Sept 30th. I think consevation is still being observed here. They have also reserved the right to cancel the opening if the Ling cod are being targeted too heavily. Is a limit of 1 Ling really going to change everyone's fishing habits in the straight and we're all going out jiggin now?

Last year certain people on this site (or was it a different site LOL) were complaining that the DFO were idiots because they paid for a study on Ling cod sustainability and then ignored the study that determind that a minimal Ling cod fishery was sustainable. All things in moderation......

I tend to agree with fm, stocks are weak so they should stay closed. We need to go back longer then any of us remember for a baseline of healthy stocks. Salmon fished QC years ago and the lingcod were thick, I'm sure that Vancouver Island and BC coast was once like that.

Traditional cod stocks of eastern canada will never rebound, ecosystem changes and their niche is lost forever and will never support the large numbers again.

just my 2.5 cents.

I tend to agree with fm, stocks are weak so they should stay closed. We need to go back longer then any of us remember for a baseline of healthy stocks. Salmon fished QC years ago and the lingcod were thick, I'm sure that Vancouver Island and BC coast was once like that.

Traditional cod stocks of eastern canada will never rebound, ecosystem changes and their niche is lost forever and will never support the large numbers again.

just my 2.5 cents.

quote:Originally posted by drhook

Well I think this is fantastic and high time it came about too!
The lingcod closure should have never taken place in the first place. I have it on good athourity that it was misinterpreted data that closed the fishery in the first place and DFO just wanted to save face so they kept it closed. Good for the lingcod stocks but I'll tell you there are lots of lingcod out there and its about time we get a chance to keep some!
As for people loading up there coolers, all you can do is report it and the rest is up to DFO. There will always be poachers and eventually some may be caught but that doesn't mean the rest of us law abiding folks should suffer the consequences!
I agree with Dr Hook.It never should have been closed.The local CO's didn't even agree with the closure.If you believe there are only 5000 ling cod in the straight ,then Sierra club has got to you too.Lots of Lings off Sidney.Talk to any of the few commercial rock cod fishermen who are left and they will give you an idea of how many lings are around.If you want to compare to 40 years ago then you had better quit fishing salmon as well cause in case you havn't noticed,its changed.This all came about while planning of the original RCA's was going on.Out of nowhere ling cod got tossed in to the mix.I was involved with the original SFAB meetings to decide how much to give to RCA's.I was personally responsible for the closure of the north end of Active pass and the Gossip island area.After 40 years of watching the boat loads come from the mainland and fill coolers I was glad to find a way to stop it.Whats made the biggest difference is the stopping of commercial ling cod fishing on the inside.I've noticed the numbers steadily climb since that closure.
Its a 4 month season.Even before the closure of lings,the numbers were climbing.
I have been very involved in this for years and I feel very confident in saying that ling cod are here in great #s.RCAs help and there are more on the way.Instead of listening to the propaganda from tree hugger groups like Sierra and such,make your decision based on what you hear from the fishermen who are actually out there in these different areas.and continue to report poachers.If enough complaints come in ,they will act.Trust me on this.

Back