LF: Capable Blasting Shop to Remove Bottom Paint on Welded Aluminum

Fishin'Zinn

20' Boat is just getting a minor refit at the shop currently before we take possession. Had the option to do a 'patch' job on the old, anti-fowling paint by touching it up -Or just do a full strip and respray. We wanted to do it right, so I am now looking for a good shop locally in the Burnaby/ New West/ Coquitlam area that can properly sandblast the hull of the old bottom paint and prep the surface with the right grit to accept new paint!

It's a bulletproof 1/4" Aluminum hull, but I recognize there is the right way to blast aluminum for proper adhesion of the epoxy layer, and the wrong way, which seems to be very common now. If there are any good shops that anyone can recommend, it would be very helpful. Also any recommendations for paint, or blasting media, prep methods, etc, to make sure we are going to be on the right page with the shop! Thanks in advance.

Picture for reference, opinions? As you can see from the half paint/primer, bottom paint definitely needs something done! Would prefer Non-Copper Anti-Fowling paint as well. (Bad for the environment and not good for Aluminum, even with epoxy barrier, we'd rather not have it that way.)

photo 2.jpg

PS: Also looking for a trailer for this beast! 20' LOA (so about 22-24' realistically). PM if you may know of or have one for sale, thanks!

EDIT: Boat weighs appox 3400lbs dry, looking for a trailer with a GVW 4-5000 lbs minimum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went 4 years before I had the boat taken off the trailer and a professional paint job done. they sanded, lightly, with 80 grit and just redid the bottom paint. the epoxy layer has been holding up since originally applied in 2006. this year, I will lightly sand what I can reach on the trailer and do another coat of bottom paint. my boat tends to get vegetable growth along the water line but nothing under the surface, no animal life thinks my boat is a good place, at least so far. in 2 more years, i'll have another professional job done but right now, all looks reasonably OK if a bit worn. REEELFAST sits in the salt at the marina for about 7 months each year.

Call Bob @ Corrcoat Services in Port Kells, he might be able to help. They are a large blasting facility with nearly every type of media. And, the owner/operator was an avid fisherman in Florida so he understands marine applications. Tell him what you are doing and if he can't help, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
I can't help you with a direct referral as he did a small job for me and likely wouldn't remember the work. He was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Best of luck in your search.

Also, might be good to note your boats fully loaded weight when looking for a set of wheels for her.

My understanding is you need to find a shop that does soda blasting as this will be less harmful to your hull. I am looking to do the same in the future.

I appreciate the help from everyone. Boat is getting blasted at Sure Blast in Poco. We are going with a mild abrasive blasting method because when it is done with care, it does no harm to the hull, plus it will prep the surface for barrier coat (which, to my knowledge, wasn't done properly the first time!)

I looked into soda, and dry ice blasting. Great options, however, besides the mess with soda, they both require prepping of the surface afterwords as well, and of course, extra cost!

Overall, the key is to get the epoxy on the boat after blasting ASAP (ie: within 4 hours), you can't have the aluminum start to oxidize!

My buddy has a decent trailer that he is looking to sell. I think is about 6000 lbs gvw tandem axle. He is in mexico for the next 2 weeks so that might not help you. is the epoxy coat peeling off in the pics it looks like the albative paint is coming off as it will but the expoxy looks good? maybe under the boat is a different story Cool boat!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to do it right you could alodine and alumaprep the hull before the epoxy layer. This way you don't really need to worry about the 4 hour window. These two products provide the best base on aluminum for paint of any time period! Then add 3-5 coats of interpertect 2000 and your bulletproof. DO IT ONCE DO IT RIGHT....

Thanks JAC, please let me know. We can get a new road runner tandem for a pretty good deal right now but I am open to all offers, as we really don't need a 'new' trailer this boat isn't going to be out of the water much...

If you really want to do it right you could alodine and alumaprep the hull before the epoxy layer. This way you don't really need to worry about the 4 hour window. These two products provide the best base on aluminum for paint of any time period! Then add 3-5 coats of interpertect 2000 and your bulletproof. DO IT ONCE DO IT RIGHT....

The story I got was that when the original epoxy barrier coat was sprayed, whomever did it was smart (read: stupid) enough that they thinned it down, so it had to come off. Anyways, it is getting/was blasted, and epoxied within the correct time frame. IW doesn't mess around they are doing it right! After the epoxy going to get a copper-less ablative paint (E-Paint I think).

ive been really impressed with the customer service from road runner. really like my trailer

I had 3 new road runner trailer last year, they are pretty good but they all seem to squeak and make noise from the suspension. It is nice being able to call and deal with the factory direct

Back