Let's see your shop!!

14ft walls on top of the foundation which gives 14’8” walls at the back and 14’10” walls at the front.

Not a lot of slope on that slab, but something. The one thing I lack in my shop is proper slopes to drainage. The original owner laid what he fondly imagined to be a level floor slab, and saw no need for floor drains. So this week has been typical winter muck with snow melting off quads and trucks looking for somewhere to go. It finds its way unerringly to the man door next to the big overhead door, so every time I unlock and walk in, there's a 1/4" deep puddle waiting for me.

We've talked about emptying the shop out for a week, hammering in a centre drain and laying a topping slab over it all to create proper drainage, but agh what a lot of work. There's a LOT of equipment in there and no other covered storage on site for it. The drive and apron would have to be lifted another 4", and they're already on the steep side as it is.

So we have a big floor squeegee and a push broom to get the worst of it out under the doors. Run a big floor fan overnight to push off moisture. It's low grade annoying, we have to live with it. The location is way too convenient and we're too settled where we are to contemplate selling and buying something else.

Anyone thinking about a shop build, do the floor drains or slope it from the back out toward the doors. Easy and cheap at time of construction, really hard to do later.

Not a lot of slope on that slab, but something. The one thing I lack in my shop is proper slopes to drainage. The original owner laid what he fondly imagined to be a level floor slab, and saw no need for floor drains. So this week has been typical winter muck with snow melting off quads and trucks looking for somewhere to go. It finds its way unerringly to the man door next to the big overhead door, so every time I unlock and walk in, there's a 1/4" deep puddle waiting for me.

We've talked about emptying the shop out for a week, hammering in a centre drain and laying a topping slab over it all to create proper drainage, but agh what a lot of work. There's a LOT of equipment in there and no other covered storage on site for it. The drive and apron would have to be lifted another 4", and they're already on the steep side as it is.

So we have a big floor squeegee and a push broom to get the worst of it out under the doors. Run a big floor fan overnight to push off moisture. It's low grade annoying, we have to live with it. The location is way too convenient and we're too settled where we are to contemplate selling and buying something else.

Anyone thinking about a shop build, do the floor drains or slope it from the back out toward the doors. Easy and cheap at time of construction, really hard to do later.
put in radiant heat floor and put a topping slab? Or bush hammer 2" down so you don't raise it up any more. Should evaporate quick

Why don't you cut some drainage channels? Few hours with a walk behind saw and you're set

put in radiant heat floor and put a topping slab? Or bush hammer 2" down so you don't raise it up any more. Should evaporate quick
All discussion in that direction have met with a resounding no from my co owner. I've done a couple of similar projects for local wineries, so I have a fair understanding of how to do it, but he doesn't see the payoff for all that effort and cost. I'll revisit the saw cuts though, those are a lot less disruptive.

Back