Lest We Forget

Ringo

Crew Member

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-11_7-39-11.jpeg
    upload_2020-11-11_7-39-11.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 0
hI8T0U6.jpg

Today is sort of hard for me. I miss my grandparents very much, and this day reminds especially that they are gone...... My Pop is on left, and was with mortar crew . WW2 Normandy landing . Regina Rifles.

We were all proud of him....

His photo lives on, and I think that is so cool to remember him by.

c4c2dd921cff3e4d328abff5b2e5f41c.jpg

Say thank y0u to a veteran today. I did. A neighbour who flew in the CAF. I had two uncles who served in the RCN at D Day, father in law in the US Navy in the China/Burma/India Theatre. All long gone but great guys with incredible stories and intellect that you don't find in a lot of people. Never heard those guys whine about anything. Ever. Those 3 guys shaped my life. I don't think I ever looked up to anybody like the three of them. They cherished every day on this earth. I guess war changes your perspective on life.

My dad went to Juno beach on his 20th birthday as part of the Canadian Scottish regiment, 3rd infantry division. He rarely said anything about it, but when he did, it was stuff none of us could ever imagine having to endure as a 20 year old man. He got through the invasion of Normandy and went to the battle of Caen. Details are murky, he just didn't want to talk about it.

For me, when I was 20, my hardest decision is where me and my friends would meet for beers after work.

I have a good friend, today he turns 95 years old and was a little too young for the heavy part of WWII, but he was there, for the clean-up effort. He tells stories of the Canadian lads marching through the streets of Germany, desperate women throwing themselves at the Canadian soldiers. I wanted to visit him today, I've spent his birthday with him every year in the Legion for close to 20 years. Today he was hunkered down at home, he's not big on visitors due to Covid so I respected that. I phoned him instead and we talked for an hour. No war talk, just general jocularity and laughing at stupid things like two teen boys while he sipped his birthday whiskey and waited for his gal to cook him steak and lobster. :) We owe a lot to these guys, with really no way to pay it back, other than to show friendship and say thanks once a year. From my experience, they're happy with that, they don't ask for much. They really are a humble lot.

My hat's off to those guys and gals, all of them.

Both Grandfathers served in Europe. One was in early and captured after watching his mates get slaughtered. Spent most of the war in a Italian POW camp. Talk about PTSD. Later he would have nothing to do with celebrating the war. No Veteran's day for him. He hated it. He suffered all of his life, but was still and great Grandpa.

My Dad was a Canadian infantryman part of the operation to liberate Holland from Oct 1944 through the end of the war. With 10 days to go, they battled small pockets of resistance and was wounded by a sniper who held them down for 5 days in a farm house. He recuperated in Bruges and spent the next 2 years at the University of London studying undergraduate law before coming back home to Canada graduating at university of bc law, class of '50.

He would go on for hours about those years in London, but during combat, not much at all. Then the Memory Project came along and he participated whole heartedly where veterans like himself would visit schools and help pass down their experiences, good and not so good.

We pull one of the thank you books one class wrote for Dad this day each year and read it with our own kids. Its pretty much the only time they slow down and listen to us haha. But at the end of the day, they're thankful AF for the efforts their grandfather put forth, same as with all veterans. Way to get er done, Dad!!

My maternal grandfather served in Europe, as did his father who died at the Battle of the Somme when my grandfather was still young. Bought his commission out from the RCMP so he could enlist when the war broke up and originally signed up with the Calgary Highlanders, but at some time during the war was transferred to the Seaforth Highlanders as part of an officer swap where he served as a Captain - which was appropriate his last name was Mackenzie and the Seaforth's wear the Mackenzie tartan (he came to Canada from Scotland when he turned 19). Fought his way up through Italy and as part of the Canadian force that liberated Holland. My aunt has a newspaper clipping he sent to home to my grandmother about the battle of Ortona ("Little Stalingrad"); it has picture of ruined buildings in the background and in the foreground is a Canadian Jeep in flames - underneath he wrote "This was my Jeep!". He was one of the officers that recommended Smokey Smith for the Victoria Cross for his actions at the Savio River. Re-enlisted during Korea and in retirement both him and my grandmother dedicated themselves to the Legion and speaking at schools.

My paternal grandfather didn't see much fighting, but had an even tougher experience. He was in the Dutch East Indies and after it was captured he was shipped back to Japan where he spent the war as a slave labourer in a coal mine, fighting malnutrition, disease and physical and mental abuse from the camp guards, all the while not knowing what was happening with my grandmother and two aunts (who all survived the war in a women's POW camp in Indonesia). He talked about everything and could somehow find away laugh when telling stories that involved literal war crimes. He held no grudges though and went out of his way to extend whatever kindness he could to Japanese Canadians.

Four (includes my grandmothers, the women that made it through the war don't get enough credit) amazing roll models that had a bigger impact on my life than they realize. They don't make them like that anymore. I think about them often, but especially today.

My Dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He told me once about an all night period of shelling, lying near frozen, paralyzed in fear, hoping and praying not to get hit, he emerged in the morning to be 1 of 13 survivors out of a 350 man company. My grandmother said he never came back the same. I have never experienced such horror and terror as that - and for that I am eternally grateful for his service and so many lives that have fought and died for our freedoms we enjoy today!

Last edited:
My maternal grandfather served in Europe, as did his father who died at the Battle of the Somme when my grandfather was still young. Bought his commission out from the RCMP so he could enlist when the war broke up and originally signed up with the Calgary Highlanders, but at some time during the war was transferred to the Seaforth Highlanders as part of an officer swap where he served as a Captain - which was appropriate his last name was Mackenzie and the Seaforth's wear the Mackenzie tartan (he came to Canada from Scotland when he turned 19). Fought his way up through Italy and as part of the Canadian force that liberated Holland. My aunt has a newspaper clipping he sent to home to my grandmother about the battle of Ortona ("Little Stalingrad"); it has picture of ruined buildings in the background and in the foreground is a Canadian Jeep in flames - underneath he wrote "This was my Jeep!". He was one of the officers that recommended Smokey Smith for the Victoria Cross for his actions at the Savio River. Re-enlisted during Korea and in retirement both him and my grandmother dedicated themselves to the Legion and speaking at schools.

My paternal grandfather didn't see much fighting, but had an even tougher experience. He was in the Dutch East Indies and after it was captured he was shipped back to Japan where he spent the war as a slave labourer in a coal mine, fighting malnutrition, disease and physical and mental abuse from the camp guards, all the while not knowing what was happening with my grandmother and two aunts (who all survived the war in a women's POW camp in Indonesia). He talked about everything and could somehow find away laugh when telling stories that involved literal war crimes. He held no grudges though and went out of his way to extend whatever kindness he could to Japanese Canadians.

Four (includes my grandmothers, the women that made it through the war don't get enough credit) amazing roll models that had a bigger impact on my life than they realize. They don't make them like that anymore. I think about them often, but especially today.

My Dad was also in Italy with the PPCLI. He didnt make it past Ortona. For those who are aware of the horrendous battle prior to and for Ortona , he was killed fighting to cross "The Gully" He is buried in the Canadian Ortona cemetery. Dec. 13 1943. I had the honour to visit his grave several years ago. Very emotional........

Back