We Remember

1remembrance-day.jpg

My dad spent his 20th birthday at Juno Beach with the Canadian Scottish Regiment in June 1944. From there, they ended up at the battle of Caen.

It was rarely talked about, he just didn’t want to discuss it. I’m pretty certain he saw some stuff that’d make your hair stand on end.

Three brothers from Newfoundland that fought overseas and all three made it home. I sent the photo to the Deer Lake Legion and the guy said it's a rare occasion for all three to make it back. I forgot to mention they were in the Royal Navy, my dad in the middle jumped ship added an e onto his last name and joined the Canadian army. Like Kildonan said he didn't talk about it if at all.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1636677948279.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636677948279.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My Dad and my father-in-law (also on the beach on D-day) were both WW2 vets in the Canadian Army. I only heard war stories after a couple of rum and cokes at the Legion, after the Remembrance Day services. One that stuck with me was from my father-in-law, a 20 year old radio operator at the time, calling in artillery shelling coordinates. He was looking through binoculars riding in a personnel carrier when a Brit came up and asked if he could walk along side for a bit. Harold said "Of course." A few minutes later, his radio antenna fell over. The Brit immediately pulled up his Bren gun and shot a sniper down from a distant tree. Getting over the immediate shock of what he had narrowly avoided, Harold turned to thank the soldier for his life but he was gone.

My Grandpa Ray Briggs was badly wounded in WW2.
He was a tank operator and was confronted by a faster, larger, more powerful German tank.
They got blown up. My grandpa was the only one of the 9 (I believe it was 9) in the tank to survive the blast. The last thing he remembered was laying on the burning metal trying to kick the hatch open, then he came to laying on the grass with the enemy tank rolling towards him. He passed out and woke up in the hospital and had no idea how he got there. Many skin grafts later and he made a full recovery.

He then led a wonderful life and passed away in his late 80’s.
I think of him almost everyday… never forgotten!!!

Thank you to all veterans for your service. I really appreciate the freedom!

Back