Lesson Learned....don't leave your stuff on the curb waiting for a ride....

Andrew P

I went out with a buddy to Saanich Inlet to do some prawning Sunday afternoon and we did pretty good. But the mission almost never happened.....

I had all of my gear ready and put it out by the side of the road about 10 minutes before my buddy was picking me up. Sitting there was my 2 traps, cooler for prawns, small bait cooler, rain jacket, a couple beer, fishing rod and some tackle, etc. I don't know how anyone would consider this a free pile....but to my horror when I walked outside no more than 5 minutes later.....my traps were GONE!!! Nothing else was missing. I was shocked and infuriated instantly. I jumped in the car and ripped around the neighborhood looking to see if I could see anything. I then got a call on my cell from my wife who said 'their back'.

So, it turns out the guys girlfriend who was in the passenger seat had talked some sense into him saying that....'those traps are pretty nice, we should probably go back and check to make sure they were free'. The guy said he had also called his buddy who was fished to ask if he wanted them....I have a feeling his buddy said: 'you better make sure those were free'. So, if that fishing buddy reads this...thanks for talking some sense into your friend and not ruining my day.

All ended well and we went and got our prawns...

Now that's "the lighter side" of fishing. Good story and I'm glad it all worked out.

I've had a few traps go for a swim over the years and I'm sure it wasn't under free will or charity. Never had them walk away though.

homer-simpson-doh.gif

Around here, free stuff left on the side of the road has "free stuff" written on it.

Back