Left over salmon

What do you guys do with it? I usually put it in a salad or make patties the next day, but would like to try something new.

Lorne

Depending on the flavours involved, but always good to mix it up with some mayo and make a sandwich. I like adding some celery to the mix, lettuce and pickle. Or just bring it to work and offer up to work mates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make the Big Guy's coconut curry soup and toss it in!
I now make a big batch without any seafood and toss in whatever appeals after thawing.. ( yes that is thawing..Not unthawing as I have been corrected many times by the ft mac residents!)

I have used hali/ salmon/ prawns/rockfish.. all with GREAT results.

I dont can salmon as I think its disgusting (bad experience) so I filet all my salmon and packed in water a trick (Trev N.B.) taught me many many years ago when even i was young LOL LOL.
And we always take out an extra piece to make sandwich meat and I poach on the bbq or oven most of the time with garlic,white wine cilantro or rosemary or dill, butter, lemons then after its cooled and taken out any bones use a veg masher add mayo and about 4 or 5 chopped up green onions season if needed and we have sandwiches for the next few days tastes awesome way better than canned.

wolf

Wolf, that sound delicious, would you mind posting up the recipe measurments?
Thanks Tim

Like others.....I do the sandwich thing as well. Usually with some mayo and sometimes I add just a dash of horseradish for some zing; very little bit so as not to overpower.

To that I will always add diced pickles which are usually the baby dills, capers, chives and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. If I make the salmon as blackened on it's first go round....it makes AWESOME sandwiches the next day.

Wolf....I hear ya about packing it in water. When I lived in MB we used to freeze all of our fish in water but for some reason I have never done it with salmon as it is usually vacumn packed.

Pip / Wolf,

are you guys using salt water? Is it like a glaze where you dip, freezze, dip, freeze etc? Never understood how this doesn't make the flesh soggy?

**I guess if MB is Manitoba, then it wouldn't be saltwater?!! :)

Pip / Wolf,

are you guys using salt water? Is it like a glaze where you dip, freezze, dip, freeze etc? Never understood how this doesn't make the flesh soggy?

**I guess if MB is Manitoba, then it wouldn't be saltwater?!! :)

Yup.....no saltwater in MB unless you make it yourself. What we used to do was just add the filets into a big ziplock or whatever sized portions you want and then load it up with water. For lack of a better term you kind of freeze it in a block....an old commercial fisherman gave my Dad the idea and oddly enough you do notice a difference in the fish as we tried "side by side" comparisons.

I'll let Wolf comment on what he does for salmon but I would think freshwater would be better. Salt can/does draw moisture out of food however I don't know if it would have any impact when it's frozen???

Fresh water what I do I have a bucket that is narrow and deep about 10 inches across by about 10 inches deep.

1 fill bucket 3/4 full in the sink

2 place the zip lock bag into bucket add maybe about a 1/2 cup of water in it.

3 put your chunk of fish in
4 now zip it almost closed.
5 submerse your chunk of fish into the bucket forcing out all the air right near the seal line
6 zip it shut. now you have a chunk that is fully incapsulated with water cheap mans vacuum seal
7 fold over excess bag and place on cookie sheet I fill the pan right up dont stack if you can
8 freeze on the pan next day stack away in your spot for fish.

With only a 1/2 cup or less of water it is now completly sealed you will never get freezer burn ive had fish by mistake in the freezer over 2 years took it out you would swear it was fresh. and cause its frozen flat it stacks great.

you will find you can "squeeze" the water out a bit with the air to make it tighter you will have to experiment a bit till you find your "happy medium"
do the same for prawns and halibut as well as it is fast and easy and cheap...

good luck Wolf

ill post the recipe later guys

Fresh water what I do I have a bucket that is narrow and deep about 10 inches across by about 10 inches deep.

1 fill bucket 3/4 full in the sink

2 place the zip lock bag into bucket add maybe about a 1/2 cup of water in it.

3 put your chunk of fish in
4 now zip it almost closed.
5 submerse your chunk of fish into the bucket forcing out all the air right near the seal line
6 zip it shut. now you have a chunk that is fully incapsulated with water cheap mans vacuum seal
7 fold over excess bag and place on cookie sheet I fill the pan right up dont stack if you can
8 freeze on the pan next day stack away in your spot for fish.

With only a 1/2 cup or less of water it is now completly sealed you will never get freezer burn ive had fish by mistake in the freezer over 2 years took it out you would swear it was fresh. and cause its frozen flat it stacks great.

you will find you can "squeeze" the water out a bit with the air to make it tighter you will have to experiment a bit till you find your "happy medium"
do the same for prawns and halibut as well as it is fast and easy and cheap...

good luck Wolf

ill post the recipe later guys

Would you suggest doing this with chum and pinks? All I use them for is the smoker once it gets colder. What's the process of thawing without having your fish sit in water and get mushy?

thanks,
Dave

I have with all my fish dave I rip open the bag and let thaw, i dont think anything you do to a pink is ever going to make it firm LOL LOL

pinks, bleed em, barby q em or make a pink samich for a hali

I shred it up remove any bones and use it just like hamburger in tacos. Warm it up in a frying pan with taco spice mix and water until it thickens up.

I make salmon fritters out of my left overs. Basically a thick batter, diced bell peppers, grated cheese, and seasoning of your choice.
Drop heaping spoonfulls into your deepfrier, a couple of minutes and the're done. Dip em in tartar sauce and feast away! The're also
good cold as a snack. Great finger food!!

I make salmon fritters out of my left overs. Basically a thick batter, diced bell peppers, grated cheese, and seasoning of your choice.
Drop heaping spoonfulls into your deepfrier, a couple of minutes and the're done. Dip em in tartar sauce and feast away! The're also
good cold as a snack. Great finger food!!

Mmmmm salmon fritters. Awesome stuff fshnfnatic!!!!!

Here is the best left over salmon recipe, about one cup to a cup and half of salmon
2 tbls of horseradish
diced onions 1/4 onioin
hot sliced peppers to you liking, we use 1 tbls diced up
4 - 6 tbls mayo
mix all together and salt and pepper
place on buns or on bagette bread slice about 1 inch
shread chedder cheese on top and place in oven
broil until cheese melts
enjoy!

Instant Smoked Salmon Spread.

Shread up and remove bones from leftover salmon.

Add liquid smoke, fake maple syrup, light mayo and/or cream cheese, then spice to taste such as sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Put through a blender or Magic Bullet and serve on crackers or fresh French bread.

I just mixed up some leftover salmon for sandwiches and added in a piece of smoked.
It sure improves the overall flavour.
Try a little fine chopped dillpickle or sweet onion as well.

Back