LED Light rigging for Hali's and Salmon

spring fever

The first shot is of the Pirates Den hali squid pretty much as it comes from the package-it has a double flashing green water activated LED-quite bright and the soft body is very soft rubber and glows as well-so the light really enhances it. I have added a 6/0 treble for strip(belly) or octopus. There is also room in the head to add a scent retaining sponge. You may want to upgrade and/or change swivels and lines if you are serious. Worked great off a spreader with Octopus. I am not a serious Hali fisherman so when I find something that seems to work well-I grab it. I'm sure serious hali fishermen could suggest a few improvements. The next shot is the simplest version of a rigged LED light-it works well and has few drawbacks because it is simple. 1 good quality 6/0 or 7/0 hook, one fairly large bead(glow would be nice) next comes the water activated light, then the cuttlefish hootchy of choice-then length of tie of choice and swivel. I like the ultra violet ones and glows because the light seems to keep them charged. Try to stay with the transluscent ones and avoid solid colours. Never fished it but the Turd looked like a candidate. The lights are easier to put into the cuttlefish if you use a little vasilene or what I favour either smelly jelly or anchovy oil. Use paper towel to clean off the two metal prongs on the base of the light. Go fish! No.3 Well really my favourite but it has a flaw which I am thinking about. Cut the nose off a cuttlefish-rig a double set of5/0 gamagatsu's plus mylar skirt push the light thru the cuttlefish until the right positon of the hooks is obtained. Does it work-damn right-I love it!! THE FLAW!!! after a couple of fish the line breaks thru the centre hole much like on an anchovy holder-soooo if anyone can think of a solution I'd sure like to hear it because this version has the most flexability. If you have any ideas please post or PM me. They work-give one a try.

Attachments

• DSC01047.jpg
    DSC01047.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 580
  • DSC01050.jpg
    DSC01050.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC01051.jpg
    DSC01051.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 502
I got one of these in my stocking at Christmas this year from my wife and I thought it was a gimmick lure that my wife took the bite. Now I'm fired up to let it drop!

mmmmm. I thought these things were illegal. I remember thinking of developing some of these last year, but held off because I thought there is a regulation against it. Is this not the case? Maybe I am wrong?

High Five

It is illegal to:

use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing, except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/law-loi/restrictions-eng.htm

S
eems legal according to these.

I've briefly tried using a glowstick inserted into needlefish and octo plastics. Didn't give it to much of a swim (lost confidence) but want to try again when the sockeye roll into town. Your local dollar store usually has a pretty good selection.....I found some ideal sticks, about 1.5" long and 1/8" diameter. I slip my leader through the hoochie as normal, then ram the glow stick from inside the skirt, out the hole you run your leader through. I sometimes need to trim abit of plastic to open the hole up just a bit to get the glowstick to go through....they come in all our favorite colors, green pink purple blue and yellow....the glowsticks last for 6 hours and cost about .50cents each...

have a picture at the shop computer I will post in the morow to say the 1000 words I can't (but I do try haha)

part of me thinks something so foriegn in the water like artificial light, especially moving erratically behind a flasher, or jigged, would spook, rather than entice of fish...but I have no evidence of that, just me thinking.

These guys http://www.squidlures.com/ have been building LED halibut rigs for some time, and just recently re-vamped their website I see and have a bunch of new, fishy lookin' products...pretty pricy for a spreader bar, light, and lure tho!

-FB

I looked at the web page-nothing similiar. these lights Pirates Den have activate when they hit the water-no batteries to play with,no corrosion issues and they shut off when out of the water. The lights pulsate on and off-like squid are able to do when agitated. It certainly worked on fish this weekend. The light is not blinding just seems to make glow hootchies really pulse with colour.

LED Light rigging for Hali's and Salmon --Update

I said that in the original layout of this thread that the no.3 version of the LED hootchy for salmon was my favourite because you could do a lot to it-ie. add mylar,have a double hook set-up etc. It really catches fish-BUT-it had a flaw-the loop on the top of the light would break if you got a large Spring on. Happend to me this weekend after my second large Spring-doesn't hurt the light and you would rig as in the no 2 example-totally inside the hootchy however I hate changing a winning combination especially when I'm fishing. THE FIX-probably the easiest-but not the best-put a split ring (small as you are able) through the eye of the light-put your line through the split ring-not the eye. Jam a toothpick through the eye behind the split ring forcing it into a vertical position. The hootchy will run true but when you have a large fish on the split ring will rotate to the side allowing a more direct pull on the hooks and since the line is not throught the eye itself it doesn't break. The Best Solution:Get one of the little red pins with the hole in the top used for kripple K anchovy holders or some RHYS Davis ones-file it down and cut to length so it fits in the LED top loop. Run your line through that. I have tested this in the shop to breaking a new 40 lb test leader-the pin popped out at about 18 to 22 lbs-the leader broke at a 43 lb steady pull and there was no damage to the light.. This has not been boat tested-only shop tested 4 times. I'm pretty confident that this will solve the problem. Takes about 5 minutes to shape the pin and get a nice tight fit. After that it's like a regular hootchy-reset after each fish. Got some other thoughts-please share

Probably Michael the owner-really good guy with a very inquiring mind. We probably will see lots more stuff from him-I hope to get to test it and pass the info along. He is trying to build a tackle and distribution business not an easy task as Nog will probably attest to. Long as we get good stuff that works I'm a supporter.

I came across this site on craigslist this morning. A vancouver company i believe with lighted squirts, and octopus hootchies. Not trying to cut pirates dens grass but along same thread line. anyone heard of them

http://lighthouselures.com/

Needlefish are actually Bioluminescent and I've found the further north you are on the coast the more bottomfish go for glo-Salmon so/so.

Some more info here http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~biolum/

That makes me feel a little better when I go to try and throw these custom needlefish hoochies into the drink...as I mentioned earlier I've toyed with glowsticks inside my hoochies...here's a pic of what I've done. Don't mean to highjack fever, just contributing to a little lighting up of the deep!

-FB

The glow stick hoochies are the half dozen on the left.

Attachments

• 0319122125a.jpg
    0319122125a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 255
As a further adjunct to this whole LED thing-I was fascinated by it, and thought the idea was brilliant. I have tried my hand at tackle manufacture and distribution back in the 70's with MJ Tackle so I know a lot of the pitfalls and how easy it is to get squeezed out. One of the benefits of testing this stuff is that I get to see how it is made. I was actually shocked-it ain't rocket science-but man it is clever!!! First off a tiny printed cicuit is made with room for a small battery. the circuit is left open with 2 wires hanging out like a set of prongs. Then the whole thing is coated and sealed in resin. That's why the whole thing is so waterproof and fool proof. The downside is I doubt we can get them much smaller to say fit in a needle fish head or do something with an anchovy holder. Could we do something with a tomic type plug-absolutely!! The owner of Pirates Den is very inventive and has a very inquiring mind- he wants to make good tackle at an affordable price. My so called job or I guess mentoring position is to make sure it works and that it is easy to use and is not just tackle for tackles sake. So I like finished business's idea-will it work-yes I think so-same reason an LED and Nogs Needle works-but I doubt we will be able to take the place of a light stick with an LED any time soon. He has access to light sticks as well if there is a need.

I came across this site on craigslist this morning. A vancouver company i believe with lighted squirts, and octopus hootchies. Not trying to cut pirates dens grass but along same thread line. anyone heard of them

http://lighthouselures.com/

Hi I own the site and I'm happy to offer an exclusive discount code to the forum to try one of the lures. Code 3331 at the checkout on the website will get you 20% off your order. Happy fishing!

Well since reading all the comments by Spring Fever on these LED things I thought i'd give one a try. I bought the double flash hali squid and threw it down with the go pro attached...... I'm now on the fence with the LED's haha, watch the video and you'll see why!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfZfkPjNqH0&feature=youtu.be

Well, that was interesting. Seemed like the hali was interested but run off at the last minute.

There is no way to built a lure that any and all fish will go for. Sometimes we want pizza, sometimes we want mac and cheese. Fish really aren't that much different. If I could build something that fish simply will not refuse, ever, I would. And, I could retire in two days. It ain't that simple and I don't think it will ever happen.

If the fish is well fed, no matter what you throw at it, it won't eat. If it is ill, injured or stressed, the result will not be much different. There's simply no telling what ran that hali away. What must be considered is that the fish was attracted by the light- afterall, it did come investigate. Therefore, the light did its job. Too many outside influences to know what could have caused it to turn and run.

What would make for a really good vid would be to see how many fish actually pass on a particular lure or bait before one decides to take it. I am willing to bet there would be a lot of "tire kickers" before one actually bought it, no matter what lure is used.

I think the lights are good to bring em close, then you got to get em to take the bait. Key word being bait. If you were trolling, it's totally different. They have to act fast and decide whether to attack or not. On anchor, the fish have more time to think and inspect the lure. That's my opinion at least.

Back