Leader length for anchovie rig

abbyfireguy

Just checking to see what length I should use for an anchovie rig..
Finally got the slip snell down for the front hook,now have to make sure the leader length is right..

Depends on what the fish are biting on, long leaders make the anchovie move slower and the shorter you get the more the flasher whips it around, so if fish are agresive the shorter leaders will work. I always put 3 lines out one at 4, 5 and 6 and see what works

It also depends on the conditions and where you are fishing...bigger swells require a longer leader to perform properly
Springs gernerally like the slow lazy roll...but as we know... you never know

just my two cents

Don't get to caught up in the leader length, you can't go wrong with 5- 6 feet for Springs. Its all i have ever used and if there are fish around i usually get my share. Some guys run 9 feet with the idea that the slow lazy roll attracts the big fish. Maybe it does? but all my larger fish 35 and up have been on only 5 foot leaders with Anchovy or Herring and 2.6- 2.8 water speed. The key is to keep the gear weed free and rolling nice in the water where the fish are not up where the seagulls are:D

I'm 6'3"what I do is tie my hook on, put it on the floor of the boat, stand up touch the line to my nose cut it and tie the swivel on.I'm done growing up {not out} and the length is the same every time.Fast and easy.DAN

Back