Large Salmon

English try and perfect your chovie first then expand to bigger, baby steps my freind it will come in due time.

Wolf

Rigging Herring------One of the most informative vids I've seen on MeTube (covers both whole and cut-plug):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0xATzSsX7c

Teaser heads are great for fishing whole herring but I think rigging a straight whole herring without plastic has a bit more sex appeal when springs are finnicky. This vid has it going on it that department (check out the green dye, too) .

Watch closely for the hook placement through the nose---it keeps everything centered but more importantly, it keeps the mouth from opening during the troll; an open mouth on a whole bait will suck the action right out of it. I also use "magic thread" --a few quick wraps around the lips will also keep the mouth from opening.

I had the pleasure of using this particular rigging technique for the first time a few summers ago off Uke on Blue Labels. One rod had the whole bait fished straight (no flasher or dodger); one rod had plugs or spoons fished above a dummy flasher. I had at least 10 doubles (fishing solo made that interesting). What i remember is the bait rod always seemed to get the take-down before the plug or spoon rod....

One comment about preparing cut plugs---it's a bit of a mystery to me why people get so fastidious about removing all the guts. It's like taking a rag and wiping all the smelly jelly off your spoon or plug before dropping it in the water. A sexy spin is real nice on a cut plug. But an oil-slick trailing behind from the blood and liver you purposely left in the belly cavity is like putting a dab of perfume behind her ears before attaching the leash and letting her go swimming....

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that 68lb Nootka fish lost?? that's an amazing fish!! I think I was there at nearly the same time :(

I figured the fish was lost, freak of nature for sure. Fisheries heard of the fish and swung by the lodge I was guiding from to take scale and DNA samples to try to trace the fish. They said the Berman river has a strain of 5 year old fish and figured that it was headed there. Never heard back to know for sure.

Stunning fish, hooktender---looked like it might have missed the mouth of the Kenai and just kept swimming south... The way it eclipses the guy holding it (you?) I would have guessed the number started with a 7 or maybe even an 8!

Your description reminded me of a fish I got up in Lund at a place the Powell River guys call "the Iron Mine" about 10 years ago: rod tip four feet off a rock face, I dropped an anchovy into about four feet of water (no flasher, no dodger, just a Rhys Davis 'chovy cap and two 3/0 tandem hooks).

By the time my sounder registered 10 feet (I was still on a shelf) something picked the bait off my clip. 45 minutes later, waaaay out out in the shipping lane, drenched with sweat, I swum this piece of real estate into the net. First anchovy I ever put on a hook in my life--I didn't have to wait too long to see how anchovies compare to herring....

Fished the Kenai for years when I lived in Alaska in the early 80's. Lots of 5's and 6's and maybe even a 7 which I lost at the net, but man, I can't buy one of those in the salt chuck---I guess that's why I'm paying so much attention to this thread to see if I can maybe change that!

LUNDSPRING0001.jpg

Stunning fish, hooktender---looked like it might have missed the mouth of the Kenai and just kept swimming south... The way it eclipses the guy holding it (you?) I would have guessed the number started with a 7 or maybe even an 8!

Your description reminded me of a fish I got up in Lund at a place the Powell River guys call "the Iron Mine" about 10 years ago: rod tip four feet off a rock face, I dropped an anchovy into about four feet of water (no flasher, no dodger, just a Rhys Davis 'chovy cap and two 3/0 tandem hooks).

By the time my sounder registered 10 feet (I was still on a shelf) something picked the bait off my clip. 45 minutes later, waaaay out out in the shipping lane, drenched with sweat, I swum this piece of real estate into the net. First anchovy I ever put on a hook in my life--I didn't have to wait too long to see how anchovies compare to herring....

Fished the Kenai for years when I lived in Alaska in the early 80's. Lots of 5's and 6's and maybe even a 7 which I lost at the net, but man, I can't buy one of those in the salt chuck---I guess that's why I'm paying so much attention to this thread to see if I can maybe change that!

LUNDSPRING0001.jpg

Thought I had seen that pub before. Heard there was some good prawning over that way.... :)

This has been quite the thread but it is tapering off lately. I have one more question and that is: if using a downrigger, how much line from the clip to flasher. If just using bait, how much line from bait to the clip?

Was that 68lb Nootka fish lost?? that's an amazing fish!! I think I was there at nearly the same time :(

I figured the fish was lost, freak of nature for sure. Fisheries heard of the fish and swung by the lodge I was guiding from to take scale and DNA samples to try to trace the fish. They said the Berman river has a strain of 5 year old fish and figured that it was headed there. Never heard back to know for sure.

Unreal... I can't imagine how exciting that would be, especially once you first realize what you have beside the boat I would probably pass out.

My question to anyone who has gone over 50, do you need to do anything different when it comes to the net job?? Assuming you have a standard net. Is the bag big enough or should you have the gaff ready?

52 pounds in a standard large net was no problem, a nice deep net is as important as hoop circumference. I always prefer a net over a gaff, if the hooks pop out at the last minute you have more reach for that last ditch attempt...with a gaff the fish has to be a lot closer.

Unreal... I can't imagine how exciting that would be, especially once you first realize what you have beside the boat I would probably pass out.

My question to anyone who has gone over 50, do you need to do anything different when it comes to the net job?? Assuming you have a standard net. Is the bag big enough or should you have the gaff ready?

Stay calm & keep the guy on the rod even calmer.... then let it rip once in the boat.. :)

Just relax don't let the guy with the rod know how big it might be.... Make him/her stand on the other side of the boat. Cause if gets off....If was only 20+lbs but looked really nice.

I will always net a big fish...Gaff goes away :(

x 2 Net. Too much risk that a large fish when gaffed struggles and you lose grip on the gaff. A monster like that even when dog tired has a lot of power with one move of the tail. As for big fish...a buddy of mine always says.. "fish are where ya find em"..and you have to fish with confidence, so if you don't believe what you are dragging will get the job done...u r dun.

Yah OK

I've caught 33 fish over 40 including a 52. Most in Sooke where I spend the bulk of my time, a couple from Bamfield and a couple from Nootka. There are a few things that can be done to up the odds, the most important being time spent fishing. If I counted the hours spent fishing for those 33 fish the hour to catch ratio would be....well like the Lottery. Most of the fish out there (WCVI) are high teen and twenties, a few 30's and only a handful over 40. Put in the time, always have your gear working at its best, stay where these fish are found most often (close to shore) unless you are offshore, be prepared with the proper equipment. (like a net big enough) That is about all you can do, the rest is just waiting your turn. A competitiveness streak helps too, to prove it I'll be trying to get #34 before you get yours!!! ;)

Nice try!!!! Wow, you remind me of a friend of mine, take it with a grain of salt!!! Seriously? You're saying 33 over 40? Most guides I know have caught 4 or 5 over 40. You're probable trying to drum up some business but Wow!!! Especially around Sooke, E for effort though man

He's probably been guiding for awhile, so that's easily possible. I'm young and I can say I've guided to at least 25 over 40lbs, so it's definitely possible, lay down on the hate lol

It has been my experience in about 55 years of fishing that more often then not, fish are caught either in a turn or when speed up or slowing down. Every bait, artificial or natural has it`s best presentation speed and most fisherman find that speed totally by accident. It has also been my experience that a watched pot never boils. By that I mean most strikes seem to come when you are occupied doing something else.

Bushwackin give it a break you've got 16 posts and your calling out a guy that's been guiding longer than anyone on the s coast! Way to try and screw up a great thread. Pro I wouldn't even answer the guy , we all know ur not tellin Lies.

Thanks Trev, I would definitely trade all the fish for the 25 years in the business to be 28 years old again. How did I get to be the old fart in this business so quickly? LOL I would probably even trade my one fish over 50 pounds just to get all my hair back!!!!!

For Trade: One 28 year old, full set of hair. 2" in length, thick brown hair. Strong bloodlines with no balding in 3 generations. Willing to part for ONE 50+lb fish on the end of my rod.

PM for details

Great thread and info guys.

Still wondering if you put-cluggers pull bait out in any sea conditions you fish? or is this for calmer days. We debate cut-plugging always but most of the time the gods are against us and it's choppy so, we opt for gear, thinking that the action of the waves will constantly be pulling the cut-plug up and down screwing up the roll. And needing for constant re-baiting. Is there any sense to this theory?

-FB

It has also been my experience that a watched pot never boils. By that I mean most strikes seem to come when you are occupied doing something else.
Had to laugh at that one. Years ago when I used to stalk big carp in the gravel pits of the U.K. nothing would happen for hours so out would come the hot coffee flask and as if by magic, away would go the line as the carp picked up the bait and ran. Chaos and spilt coffee ensued!
Fast forward 35 years to Sooke B.C. My first ever decent Chinook hit (I am still a beginner) came this summer while I was taking a leak into the bailing bucket. Chaos and spilt %$*! ensued!
The takeaway from your post and this one is the way to get fish to bite is to do something else although I don't recommend taking a leak!!

Back