Large Salmon

The last time mackerel were in port we caught spring and coho at Pill with at least 12 in mackerel inside.Only time I ever saw it.In regard to scaling herring,if you are fishing fresh caught herring.we would run your hand from head to tail down the fish removed all scales in usually one swipe .Then we cut plugged them.

I think I have some of Rhys Davis's blood running through my veins...as I'm quite fussy about having good looking (fully scaled) baits working on the end of my lines. What Jimmy showed me went against everything I was taught and do. It's funny when you first try something new you don't have a whole lot of confidence in it. I find I most often put something experimental in the water during a real dead period of the day. Tow it around for an hour and say to myself....nah doesn't work. But really nobody else was catching then either.

I fished ten summers up around Dundas Island (Prince Rupert), all we used was cut plug herring. Can't remember how many fish over 40lb's we caught hugging the shoreline and weaving in and out of the kelp, it was a lot!! I personally have six. Although I grew up in Victoria as a teenager, Ok Falls as a boy, I haven't fished this area that much and don't know the areas very well, also took the last four years off from doing much serious fishing because I'm working six months a year overseas in the Middle East. 28 on followed by 28 off. But I'm going hard after it next year, so some great reading in here. Thanks guys.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
1950's Saanich Inlet

This may be of some interest to a few. A time before downriggers.

Began fishing Saanich Inlet in 1947 in a wood rowboat.
All of my big fish 25-35 lbs(big for this area) came from fishing a 15' cedar planked beat up boat with a
5hp Briggs and Straton engine, straight drive. Started salmon guiding when I was 12 years old same time as
Jimmy Gilbert and Tommy moss.
!5 footer was my none guiding boat. I used a peetz rod and reel. Wire line 2lb drop weight hooked in swivel between
wire and 80lb monofilment (30') with a slab of herring with back bone in a Rhys Davis strip head modified drastically
in boiling water, a HUGE HERRING STRIP, from a 12" herring.

Continually drop lead to bottom and wind up 6-10 turns every 100 feet in distance. This worked well.

Running the 26' guide boat two outside rods used wire line and plastic planers usually with a Roy Smith flasher and
Rhys Davis teasers. (Rod and recorder reels , Peetz of course)

Those were great years (1950's) fishing Saanich Inlet.
Back to fishing after career chasing for 50 years , Moved to Sointula, last 2 years still trying to educate myself on
how to catch salmon with plastic flashers and glow things and UV things. Most interesting.

This thread has been most informative. Big bait, no flasher, reefs, ledges, slow troll , 20-70 feet may get you better odds
on big fish in most areas So one rod for big fish , one rod for under 25lb fish , center rod for any fish 1-15' deep.

As I read about todays Spring salmon chasers I'm fascinated with the different trinkets one can attach to a line.
Seems to be a very complicated sport compared to the 40's and 50's.

GC

I've guided and fished out of Nootka sound my whole life I've caught countless 30 pounders and 3 over 40 pounds but still haven't broke the 50 pound mark

I think I have some of Rhys Davis's blood running through my veins...as I'm quite fussy about having good looking (fully scaled) baits working on the end of my lines. What Jimmy showed me went against everything I was taught and do. It's funny when you first try something new you don't have a whole lot of confidence in it. I find I most often put something experimental in the water during a real dead period of the day. Tow it around for an hour and say to myself....nah doesn't work. But really nobody else was catching then either.
Isn't that the truth PF!!! I do the same and its a terrific way to remove any potential faith one might gain from a new rig. I am sure that if I tried a new rig when the bite is on and the fishing is hot, it would become my new "go-to" rig ;-) Funny how that works....... Proof once again that the real catch for any new lure or rig is the angler and not the quarry heh heh heh

Fishing for 20 years, mostly Haida Gwaii. A bunch in the 40's but never got a 50lb until I went and guided at Milbanke Sound, West Coast Resorts. I saw more big fish in 1 week than I did an entire career in Haida Gwaii.

Back