Large Salmon Dump

I've never tried to be "politically correct",it seems to be a bunch of B.S. "If it looks like a duck,quacks like a duck and swims like a duck,it's probably a duck". Anybody that spends any time on the coast has seen this many times.Sad to see it happen again.

Some much handwringing over these fish when your local supermarkets throw away more food than that every week. And those nice 'best before' labels? A massive scam devised by corporate food producers that forces retailers to pay up front and then throw away past-date food. I don't like food waste either but instead of jumping to conclusions (especially when there is a racial component) and demanding jail time, how about making some noise about the massive structural waste across our entire food industry?

Last edited:
And those nice 'best before' labels? A massive scam devised by corporate food producers that forces retailers to pay up front and then throw away past-date food.

So true, last summer we bought some sockeye on sale.
a large number of fish had their best before date expiring.
when asked what was done with them, the butcher indicated
they would be thrown out even though they were perfectly fine.

Certainly disturbing images to see and I think most would agree that 'wasting' fish is not something that should happen... period! The fact is it does happen in all sectors (FN, Commercial & Rec) to varying degrees and I would say it's most apparent (read: visible) with FN fisheries as they are often in-river where people see it happening. Poor fishing practices/waste occurring off the coast in a big seiner are rarely seen by the general public (except for a few videos that surfaced) and rec guys that waste fish do so on a much smaller scale so it doesn't seem quite a newsworthy as a picture of 200 dead chum in a forest.

Also keep in mind the general public freaks out when shown pics of dead fish after broodstock collection (like the pic attached) until they learn what is actually happening. Unfortunately, not many stick around to hear the whole story. I'll wait around until details of this fish dump unfold but I can understand the frustration with many who see this sort of thing happening in their community regularly and don't hear anyone called out for it. If it's poor FN fishing practices, it would be nice to hear it from DFO. If it's poor commercial practices, same thing. Rec as well of course.

Who ever you are, fish by the rules. take only what you need. give back to the resource if you can.... or we're all f'd!

Attachments

• wannock1.jpg
    wannock1.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 73
A massive scam devised by corporate food producers that forces retailers to pay up front and then throw away past-date food.

It may be a scam but not by the food industry. The federal government requires a best before date on almost all pre-packaged foods that will keep fresh for 90 days or less.

How much perfectly good food does DND toss out when they come back from a cruise for example? There are lots of examples of waste that could instead feed the hungry, especially since just yesterday the news was reporting an increase in use of BC's food banks.

Great idea to do something with excess food. Common sense says it can be put to use. But I can just see it now, "Why are you guys giving out of date food to the homeless?! They are humans too!" Which of course they are. Then it will be put in the "Too hard basket" and shoved aside/forgotten.

It may be a scam but not by the food industry. The federal government requires a best before date on almost all pre-packaged foods that will keep fresh for 90 days or less.
You telling me there wasn't a teeny bit of lobbying in the process leading to that legislation? By the largest sector in the world economy? Why does a pack of potato chips need a 30 day date on it? Those things are good for several months if sealed. Business decision, not a health one. Packaged as health though.

Suggest whomever you think did this, it doesn't much matter at this point does it...

Regardless, whether you are white, black, brown, tan, fat, skinny, tall, short, poor, rich, smart or dumb -
This is ridiculous by any standard!!!its 2016 and we still can't figure out a respect for resources and people...

You telling me there wasn't a teeny bit of lobbying in the process leading to that legislation? By the largest sector in the world economy? Why does a pack of potato chips need a 30 day date on it? Those things are good for several months if sealed. Business decision, not a health one. Packaged as health though.

Your comments show that you don't understand what best before means. The date indicates the end of the guarantee for freshness and flavour. The potato chips are still safe to eat but don't taste as good as when eaten fresh. Normally, people prefer fresh to stale.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/best-before-dates-and-expiry-dates-5-things-you-may-not-know-1.3006858

Best before date legislation is in effect not only in Canada but also the EU, US, India and Hong Kong to name a few. That's a lot of lobbying.

It's pretty obvious to me - considering the male/female ratio, and the remaining female carcasses that had the roe removed - that this was likely the left-over carcasses from some unknown person(s) that targeted roe - prob for the commercial roe market. The fact that the fish were dumped in Central Saanich says to me that the perpetrators either lived there - or it was handy on the way home from somewhere. Since there are no fish processors that I am aware of in Victoria (except for 2 small niche ones) - I am assuming that someone took a load across to Vancouver (lots processors there) using the ferries and on the way home - dumped the post process carcasses somewhere handy.

Usually, any sale to a processor requires either a valid commercial licence from the fishermen/seller - or a pilot sales agreement. Reputable processors (and all the larger, established processors have reputations to keep and relationships to maintain) don't touch product w/o one of these documentations. So - my guess would be a smaller, upstart plant in the lower mainland cutting their teeth on chum caviar.

But since it's plausible that the delivery truck waited for the "evidence" to take it away from the plant in this case (so the processor was aware it was illegal) - maybe this was a small load that got mixed into a larger commercial load at the plant. Bigger chum have more roe - so who could really track how much roe should be processed from how many chum??

That's the scenario I find plausible.

In addition - the DNA of the chum should tell what CU the chum were from.

Back