Large Salmon Dump

The fish in the foreground are definitely chums. Agree banger 17, pathetic and sad. Markets need to be found for the carcasses of these roe specific FN chum fisheries, but whose responsibility is that? More bad public relations from a group walking a tightline as it is.

That just pisses me off. Why even take the fish if your just going to dump them. Hope they find them and fine them the maximum amount possible, but we all know that will never happen. As Craven said feed them to the dog, I know my dog would love those for dinner every night.

Apparently all male chums so junk for the roe fishery. Probably "legally" harvested but not legally disposed of. Not the first time that more fish that can be timely processed have been taken and ended up being wasted.

Seen it for years in the north. Caribou and fish harvested in winter. Stored underneath houses but come spring thaw dragged out and dumped. Nothing to see hear carry on.

I doubt some random poacher could have got that many fish without someone noticing. Must be someone with a commercial licence or right. Hopefully those involved are at least made to clean it up and deal with the carcasses properly. Shameful.

All males, hmmmm. Don't know of any fishery other than FN that are that selective. C'mon bb .... you know as well as the rest of us who caught these fish. Thing is it's entirely legal but, simply harvesting eggs is unacceptable to most. Hey, even the carcasses of the herring roe fishery are used.

This whole chum roe fishery by FN has to be re-evaluated because it won't be going away, but I don't know how that would work as in most cases the flesh of these chums is not what most people want, and is probably not viable for pet food for several economic reasons. Even if the carcasses were composted in a suitable area it would be better optics for the harvesters, but how to get them there?
Solutions are needed and the sooner the better.

Take your opinions / finger pointing and call the cops as I'm tired of this painting the FN community with your brush's.
From the link....
Anyone with information is asked to call Central Saanich Police at 250-652-4441 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

GLG, perhaps it's time to turn off the political correctness ... sure, some look good saying it might not be FN but we all know that is not the case. Fwiw, I worked with and totally respect many FN throughout the Fraser River watershed. Most are fine people and would not accept this waste of salmon.

Thing is, it's happening and a market needs to be found for the carcasses of the fish harvested for roe.

Take your opinions / finger pointing and call the cops as I'm tired of this painting the FN community with your brush's.
From the link....
Anyone with information is asked to call Central Saanich Police at 250-652-4441 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
you really don't think this is a FN dump?

I find it unfortunate that a few posters would automatically assume it was FN who dumped these fish. It may - or may NOT have. In any event - it was - as a few posters have pointed-out - likely all male fish that were not used in the commercial roe market. One would have to assume that the other 50% or so not dumped were females used in the roe market - and that is why we dont see them there. FSC fishing takes both sexes - so if it were an FSC catch dumped - there would be an approx. 50/50 female/male ratio. Whomever dumped these fish had a feed into the commercial roe market.

Whomever dumped these fish had a feed into the commercial roe market.

I think that's a reasonable assumption. I can't imagine there are that many individuals that would have this feed into the commercial roe fishery and are based in Saanich.

Looking at the pick posted by the TC. I don't think they were all males.

I think that's a reasonable assumption. I can't imagine there are that many individuals that would have this feed into the commercial roe fishery and are based in Saanich.

Looking at the pick posted by the TC. I don't think they were all males.

females with the roe stripped out also...

OH COME ON!!! Come fish the Fraser next fall and see how the operation works, anything that's not a spring or sockeye is torn from the net and tossed back in the water. I've seen it several times. Fact.

Back