Knot for braid to gangion?

i do like the swivel, used with a loop of tuna chord. change balls quickly. 18-20 offshore and 15's inshore.

i do like the swivel, used with a loop of tuna chord. change balls quickly. 18-20 offshore and 15's inshore.
Does the tuna cord knot get too big on the swivel or do you use a crimp?

Does the tuna cord knot get too big on the swivel or do you use a crimp?
i will take a pic but the knot stays at the ball end. swivel has the loop. pretty smooth.. i replace the swivel every 8-10 days on the water. probably dont need to, but its good habits that keep me from losing lead. my record is 3 seasons without losing a ball.

I also tie the downrigger cable at the knot. The knot acts as the stop and downrigger clip is hanging right at the ball. One bump on the downrigger and both are out of the water.

I terminate the braid on a big swivel (I think they're 2/0), which also acts as stopper bead. Then tie the tuna cord to the other end of the swivel. Palomar knots for both.

I change the swivel out every couple of seasons as it does take a bit of wear passing through the DR fairlead.
Screenshot_20230804-224611.png

I got 4 months use on the new swivel on one tuna cord setup and also a crimp pulled on another one. Switched from in-house marine store version to Scotty version and so far so good..

Just to confirm, the tuna cord has some stretch so no snubbers required? Or are you guys still adding a snubber on the ball end? And no one has trouble with downrigger line twists without a swivel? Or are you using a swivel on the ball clip?
Putting on new braid tomorrow. Thanks.

Just to confirm, the tuna cord has some stretch so no snubbers required? Or are you guys still adding a snubber on the ball end? And no one has trouble with downrigger line twists without a swivel? Or are you using a swivel on the ball clip?
I still use a snubber with a swivel and a clip. I should clarify, I only use the paracord to extend my 72" scotty easy stop for stacking. I add a 35 foot piece that I can take off when I'm fishing deep.

View attachment 95743

I got 4 months use on the new swivel on one tuna cord setup and also a crimp pulled on another one. Switched from in-house marine store version to Scotty version and so far so good..
We had a Scotty swivel bust on us, as we were descending a rockfish with a Seaquilizer. Expensive failure, cord with snuber, plus ball, and Seaquilizer.

coastlock snap/swivel on the snubber stops the twist, if you're not using a snubber
you will need one on the ball end.

I don’t use a snubber. That 265lb green line has lots of stretch. I had one of those blue snubbers snap on me once and I won’t use them again. I do use a heavy snap swivel on the ball though.

Back