Kitty Coleman boat ramp

vislander

Thinkin about camping at Kitty Coleman for a few days.Would like to do some fishing while there,anyone know what the boat launch is like?I have a 16' boat.Any info greatly appreciated

Hope your on rollers or have a beater truck. There is no dock and there is not much slope on the ramp. Some drive to pacfic playgrounds to launch.

I launched at 1 today in a 1.5 low tide I've got all rollers and my truck is lifted the end is sandy and I had to walk the boat out cause its actually shallower 15 feet out where they didn't dredge you should be fine if your camping there just get a tide giude from the caretakers and fish round the higher tides it will save you fuel for driving up to Saratoga

I launched at 1 today in a 1.5 low tide I've got all rollers and my truck is lifted the end is sandy and I had to walk the boat out cause its actually shallower 15 feet out where they didn't dredge you should be fine if your camping there just get a tide giude from the caretakers and fish round the higher tides it will save you fuel for driving up to Saratoga

You launched in 21 knot winds today??? At 1pm today it was a .66 tide.

A ten minute drive could save a lot of frustration and possible damage.

Ill try again here's my buddy playing a salmon at 2 or 230 in this afternoon in a 17 foot fiberglass launched at low tide at kittyimage.jpg

This is him even happier that we managed to get the boat on the trailer in 21 knot winds land this 18 pounder and only lost one sandal at the launch anyone who needs more proof I'm camped in the upper site all week come chatimage.jpg

I have launched there, it is best suited to a middle to high tide, you can however launch off the edge of the ramp. There was, at least when I stayed there, another launching area, just past the picnic site,room for one vehicle at a time, but quite a bit steeper. Also best used at a higher tide because of the shallow approach however. Picking the boat up can be a chore, at a lower tide, or in windy conditions as the ramp is completly exposed. You really need two people, at least, in windy conditions. One to operate the winch, and the other to steady and guide the boat. The latter is usually the recipient of a good drenchng, and certainly deserving of an adult beverage upon completion. Well deserved fish, especially in those conditions.

yes that's a sad excuse for a boat ramp how many ramps dose Campbell river have?. we only have one real ramp in the valley its time for the cvrd to buck up they have brought in millions over the years through there park fund but they keep buying up tracks of land to keep the enviros happy but they wont spend a dime on a ramp on the east side of the penisula

They did concrete all the edges and fill in the potholes and dredged by the end of the ramp but it is deceiving cause after you launch at a super low tide it shallows up about 10 feet past the dredge hole better than it was just not steep enough at the end apparently the RD doesn't run it it is a board of directors that some guys have been on for many years as the park was donated. It's a long history to much to tell on here but interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, I think in order to make that ramp an all tide would cost a small fortune, and the gov't red tape would be its usual mountain of paper and frustration. It is fine the way it is for now imo.

Just to do what they did they needed ok from dfo and 6 FNs I guess it comes down to how bad you wanna fish and when

Reviving an old thread here…

Plans to go camping at kitty Coleman for Canada day long weekend. How is the boat ramp there? Has it been improved in ten years since this thread? Thanks

Back